Thank You B Class Forum - new owner's experiences

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGDavey

My recent lease would not have been possible without this forum's members sharing of information - Thank You!

I am just at my one month and 1000 mile mark. I leased a 2014 Universe Blue, well optioned except extended range.

The lease process was not too difficult, just saved the info from other members deals and the 3 dealerships I visited were able to match if not beat the numbers.

The decision to buy was difficult until I had enough confidence in the car and the technology. This would NOT have been possible without this forum. The salesmen and service advisers had practically no knowledge of the car at all the dealerships. The standard answer to the questions I asked was, "we have someone here who should know that!". But that someone was never made available. I was on my own, until I found this forum. Mercedes Benz should contribute in some way to this venue for the greater level of support it provides.

My wife and I really enjoy driving the car, her only requirement was that when she drives it she doesn't have to think about range. I have gotten by with only the supplied 110v charger and a few stops when convenient at the many close-by public charging spots. The apps "plug share" and "chargepoint" are very good and helpful. After a month of trying I just got the My Mercedes app working, which is a sad commentary on Mercedes support of this vehicle.

I hope to contribute to the forum in the future.

Oh, you're going to want your own 40 Amp charger. I charge mine between midnight and 6am, when its the cheapest. You might also want to consider going solar.

Yes, I want one - but haven't been able to justify the cost to my better half. I have been able to get the charge to full nearly every night, and electricity costs the same with my limited driving. For ex: yesterday was about 30 miles = 10kw and our TOU is lowest from 10pm-8am at .11. So 10 hours charging time x 1.4 the 110 charger speed = FULL in the morning.

That said, I've been making the case for a charger. My garage location/house wiring setup don't help. It's at least $400 with an electrician for a so-so setup and a lot more to do it right.

A 30 or 40amp charger cost adds to that. I met GlennD and checked out his open-EVSE setups. He builds a nice 40a unit that is a solid and cost effective option. And I talked with Tony Williams who is also quite knowledgeable. His Jesla is a great product but designed to meet many needs that don't apply with my situation. These are 2 of the charging station options and B class members that impressed me.

40 Amp chargers or any Lev 2 make huge diff. My wife questioned my JuiceBox purchase but now happier using it daily than me... I even forgot to charge but glad I can refill the battery in 2 hours quickly. Too much sports game... :lol:

Back