Buying an off lease model.

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTesla said:
Curious if any other owners here have used the Tesla EVSE to J1772 adapter to charge their B?

I cant wait until Wed to receive the car..
DTesla,

Congratulations on your "new" B250e! What color and how many miles?

I haven't tried charging from Tesla equipment, besides the incompatible connector, I thought Tesla chargers were locked for non-Tesla vehicles?
Are you planing to use your Tesla account (or bonus KWh's) to charge your B250e?

As my employer's nice perk of EV charging is on hiatus (building mothballed and EV chargers off-line) I use a public ChargePoint location adjacent to a Tesla Super charger site. Fun to watch the Tesla's come and go while I sit there on a much slower L2 charging station. Sometime the Teslas hook up to the Charge Point stations. Not sure if they can't wait in line, or simply enjoy the two hours of free L2 charging that the nearby Target store sponsors.

Peter,

DTesla,

Congratulations on your "new" B250e! What color and how many miles?

I haven't tried charging from Tesla equipment, besides the incompatible connector, I thought Tesla chargers were locked for non-Tesla vehicles?
Are you planing to use your Tesla account (or bonus KWh's) to charge your B250e?

As my employer's nice perk of EV charging is on hiatus (building mothballed and EV chargers off-line) I use a public ChargePoint location adjacent to a Tesla Super charger site. Fun to watch the Tesla's come and go while I sit there on a much slower L2 charging station. Sometime the Teslas hook up to the Charge Point stations. Not sure if they can't wait in line, or simply enjoy the two hours of free L2 charging that the nearby Target store sponsors.

Peter,
[/quote]

Hey Peter,

It is a 2017 Canvasite Blue (Blue/Black) exterior with the brown leather interior. Since we already have the Tesla travel EVSE in the garage powered by a NEMA 14-50 outlet I decided to multi task it with an adapter https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-tesla-to-j1772-adapter-white. It is for use ONLY with the home EVSE or destination charger at select businesses around town and at supercharger locations.

I have been impressed at the speed of charging the B using the lectron adapter on the home Tesla EVSE. 2-2.5 hours to charge the B. I am still reprogramming my brain after driving the Model S long distances and charging the car at 50 miles remaining. So far I have not driven the B below 20 miles, I need to to get a better idea of performance <10 miles. I don't plan to make it a regular habit but to understand functionality at that range.

I am really bummed embrace feature has been discontinued, I really like the remote access to the car as in the Tesla.

Loving the car at this point, zippy easy to park, comfortable, ICE COLD A/C when its 103 degrees.

D

DTesla said:
I have been impressed at the speed of charging the B using the lectron adapter on the home Tesla EVSE. 2-2.5 hours to charge the B. I am still reprogramming my brain after driving the Model S long distances and charging the car at 50 miles remaining. So far I have not driven the B below 20 miles, I need to to get a better idea of performance <10 miles. I don't plan to make it a regular habit but to understand functionality at that range.

If you're curious about B250e charging habits search this forum for some of my earlier posts. In particular how to put the B250e into "Tech Mode" to monitor high voltage battery current. You can see the charging current in amps numbers, not just the vague % markings on dash RH gauge. Out on the road you will see the discharging current (in amps) as the DU drives the vehicle, as well as the re-charging current as the DU applies regen braking. While coasting the current is practically zero.

The lowest range readout I have experienced is six miles. A few times I have dipped below twelve miles, at which point the B250e shifts to lower performance. There's a warning on the central dash display "Battery Reserve Level". Nothing seriously wrong with driving in this range (I assume like me you were heading to EVSE station...) just be aware you'll not have full power to get out of a tight spot in traffic. As you approach the lower range numbers the e-cell gauge will come down from the normal 'Max' mark.

For most of my charging I used the EVSE stations at work (well, before the Lock-down, that is) These are not WiFi enabled, so through experience I know about how long I need to be on the charger during the regular work day to cover my commutes. Plan 'B' is to use a public station equipped by ChargePoint and sponsored by the adjacent Target store (two hours for free, so I need two sessions for a full charge) As the ChargePoint EVSE has WiFi I can see the progress. At different times the energy delivery varies, probably as the upstream feed is shared over several stations. There is an inherent limit to 'L2' charging, and further limits as the B250e is/was intended for EU EVSE equipment. I have never charged from home, and its not practical to install an 'L2' EVSE in our garage.

There is a third-party shop that will install a fast-DC (CCS or CHAdeMO) upgrade in a B250e, I think they're in San Diego or San Marcos, Ca.

Peter,

Peter

thanks for the tip on the secret menu! Any new owner should give it a look to see whats really going on. I Tried it today while driving and charging at outlet mall L2 charger and made note of Amps there vs my home setup. Hope charging via the Lectron adapter and Tesla HVSE combo is faster (25 amps vs. 15)
I intentionally ran the vehicle to 11 miles and experienced the harsh reality of no HVAC on charge due to low HVBP voltage. It was 99 degrees out so a little uncomfortable ;).

How many miles do you have on your B?

D

Back