Can you enable range extension after purchase?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkeeton

Hi,

New to the B-class forum. Thanks for all the great information.

I am contemplating a lease take over on a 2014 model. It does not have the range extension package.

Can this be enabled by the dealer? Do all the models have the on/off button and is this just a software feature to enable?

I assume they would charge additional fees to enable this feature but wondered if anyone knows if this is possible?

I have an i3 and love the electric experience. Need something with FWD for snow conditions in winter and a few times a year in very bad weather would love the extra range for my 62 mile commute.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I too am new here and would also like to know if extended range can be software enabled for the 2014's.

If you are looking for range you might want to look into an used RAV4 EV, the MB B EV is heavy and therefore not too good with range even though it has a good size battery. But buying the RAV cost more money.

If you haven't already, check out the VW e-Golf. People are getting very good range out of that car (often over 100 miles). IMO the VW e-Golf is an excellent electric car.

Back to the MB B EV. I too am interested in leasing a 2014 but after reading this website I have concerns about various technical issues with the car. I don't mind minor stuff, but obviously I won't want to deal with unsafe technical issues (e.g. car shuts down while driving at high speed). I suggest you read this website before leasing. Start with the "152 mile" thread and then a few others. I read most of the threads and it's not clear to me what's going on at the moment.

TonyWilliams said:
There is no update to make a 28kWh car into a 31.5kWh car. There likely never will be.

Curious as to why you would say that? I would assume this is just a software control and it should be easy to turn it on. I was wondering if the physical button to activate the extended charge is only on the range extender package, in which case that would be a reason why this would not be a simple coding change.

tom said:
Back to the MB B EV. I too am interested in leasing a 2014 but after reading this website I have concerns about various technical issues with the car. I don't mind minor stuff, but obviously I won't want to deal with unsafe technical issues (e.g. car shuts down while driving at high speed). I suggest you read this website before leasing. Start with the "152 mile" thread and then a few others. I read most of the threads and it's not clear to me what's going on at the moment.

It seems that forums often highlight the troubles with the new models. There are similar issues with the i3 and if you read the forum you might be convinced they are full of troubles. I am 10,000 miles and a year into mine and it has been absolutely trouble free. One of the best car experiences of my car life. Highly recommended.

mkeeton said:
TonyWilliams said:
There is no update to make a 28kWh car into a 31.5kWh car. There likely never will be.

Curious as to why you would say that? I would assume this is just a software control and it should be easy to turn it on. I was wondering if the physical button to activate the extended charge is only on the range extender package, in which case that would be a reason why this would not be a simple coding change.

You can put a button on any car. I don't know if the physical button is present, or even how easy it is for a dealer to re flash the firmware with the correct unlock feature. Probably extremely easy.

The issue will be having Daimler make that firmware available. I would guess that there's not a chance in hell. It's just not the way large auto manufacturers operate.

Tesla - yes, they will upgrade a 40kWh car to a 60kWh for about $10,000 (yes, it's just software... the actual battery in a 40 car is a 60 battery).

Daimler, BMW, GM, VW, Toyota, et al... no way.

It would be nice if there is one version of the firmware and it is enabled with a jumper like the Leaf's backup camera. I purchased a factory service manual but it is impossible. I imagine the mechanics go to school for the car. I would very much like to add the paddles that my car lacks.

In Southern California the heated windshield is not needed. All that is really needed is a push button and LED indicator for the range option.

TonyWilliams said:
mkeeton said:
TonyWilliams said:

You can put a button on any car. I don't know if the physical button is present, or even how easy it is for a dealer to re flash the firmware with the correct unlock feature. Probably extremely easy.

The issue will be having Daimler make that firmware available. I would guess that there's not a chance in hell. It's just not the way large auto manufacturers operate.

Tesla - yes, they will upgrade a 40kWh car to a 60kWh for about $10,000 (yes, it's just software... the actual battery in a 40 car is a 60 battery).

Daimler, BMW, GM, VW, Toyota, et al... no way.

You know, there may be unlock codes. There is a post of a user that had the air conditioner fail. The dealer fixed it by entering a new unlock code. Unlock code for an air conditioner? these days that is a standard option an virtually all cars.

Ok, let's got the other way. How much would you pay for it, if it was just an hour long re flash at a dealer?

TonyWilliams said:
Ok, let's got the other way. How much would you pay for it, if it was just an hour long re flash at a dealer?

The problem is that the option from Mercedes consists of three things and two are factory only. As the option comes from the factory it has a heated windshield and added sound proofing in addition to the switch. I do not think Mercedes would condone only the switch and harness and the two other things are not dealer installable. The only way would be a bootleg mod. Really here the heated windshield is a complete waste.

GlennD said:
TonyWilliams said:

The problem is that the option from Mercedes consists of three things and two are factory only. As the option comes from the factory it has a heated windshield and added sound proofing in addition to the switch. I do not think Mercedes would condone only the switch and harness and the two other things are not dealer installable. The only way would be a bootleg mod. Really here the heated windshield is a complete waste.

So, it sounds like a no go on retro activating the range extension. It is now standard on the 2015. Does anyone know if they made the extra insulation and heated windshield also standard as part of that change?

I have found some 2014 cars still up for lease but none of them have the range extension. Anybody know of a 2014 with range extension going for lease? Maybe 2015 is going to be the way to go. Thanks for all the input.

In January I got the only range extended white B on the lot. I wanted paddles and blind spot but I could not find any locally. By now the 2014 pickings are slim.

TonyWilliams said:

For a dealer installation and warranty of either the greater charge capacity selection feature, or the entire range extender package, I would be willing to pay the original cost of the feature (or package), less the current discount on the model, plus interest from time of dealer lot arrival.
For an aftermarket service with no warranty or additions over the factory functionality, I would pay less.

I know that people on web forums seem to rather prefer that this is something that they just hack themselves, but I think it's a compelling enough improvement that some owners (not to mention returned leases, etc) would see fit to have this performed, although it's probably a very low overall profit generator.

Now if someone was to offer this as part of a quick-charge port underhood install at a reasonable fee that maybe met near the middle between the self-hack near-zero cost and the above mentioned dealer service theoretical cost... The internet meme "shut up and take my money" comes to mind.

Back