Would you recommend a used 250e for a first time EV'er? Pros/Cons of other EV's?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great post and good details. Also, you and your wife have amazing employers apparently to have that many charging options them.

If you are interested there is also a MB 250e Facebook page where you can trade stories and ask questions also.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bclasselectric/

We likely live in a bubble here in "Silicon Valley" California.

Many Tesla cars on the road (but so far only one B250e sighting while driving mine), also many hybrid or other EV brands.

We have a decent infrastructure of EV charging stations, also many employers and government buildings offer free EV chargers. We have a large installed base of Solar power, too.

Several local Tesla Superchargers, too. Quite impressive to see a dozen or so Tesla vehicles plugged-in, or waiting for their forty-minute recharge.

The future is here today...!

Peter,

FordAnglia said:
  • My favorite public charger has four ChargePoint stations (plus an adjacent eleven station Tesla Supercharger) but three are No Op
  • I'm frustrated by both ChargePoint and Target who have not made repairs for many months (long before I started complaining!)

Would that happen to be the Target at Coleman and Autumn Parkway, near the Shark Tank?

If so, know it is not Chargepoint, it is Target Corporate who has forsaken its customers. In February, the chargers used to be all operational, then some idiot drove off with the second from the right cable. It was repaired a month later, but Target never turned that bollard on. Today, I see all four are out of commission, and needing setup initialization. A human has to do that. Think Target will flip the bill to have that happen? We'll see.

Heima said:
Would that happen to be the Target at Coleman and Autumn Parkway, near the Shark Tank?

If so, know it is not Chargepoint, it is Target Corporate who has forsaken its customers. In February, the chargers used to be all operational, then some idiot drove off with the second from the right cable. It was repaired a month later, but Target never turned that bollard on. Today, I see all four are out of commission, and needing setup initialization. A human has to do that. Think Target will flip the bill to have that happen? We'll see.

Yes, correct. The equipment is ChargePoint, the site owner is Target. I check there about once per week, and on my last visit the Station adjacent to the Handicap sign was up and running, two others have a ground fault, another has a broken J1772 connector lock, and also has an attempted but incomplete software upgrade,

I have posted my comments on the ChargePoint App, Contacted Target (Corporate), and followed up diligently to no avail. You may see my remarks in another post on this forum, and also on the ChargePoint App. No point repeating them again today.

Not sure why it remains unresolved. Target, if responsible, could easily have it fixed.

Pity, it was two hours of free L2 charging, and is under five miles from my home.

What color is your B250e?

Peter,

Sorry, I don't have a B250e. I wanted one badly, did tons of research. But the attitude of MB dealers (they don't want to sell it, would rather pawn off a C-class), the BS of the battery warranty, fears of Tesla powertrain problems, and the high cost kept me from buying. I have graduated from a Fiat 500e to a Focus Electric. If I was to have bought a B250e, it would have been white, with the tan interior. They are beautiful cars. However, the deal I got on the focus was just too good to pass up.

Heima said:
Sorry, I don't have a B250e. I wanted one badly, did tons of research. But the attitude of MB dealers (they don't want to sell it, would rather pawn off a C-class), the BS of the battery warranty, fears of Tesla powertrain problems, and the high cost kept me from buying. I have graduated from a Fiat 500e to a Focus Electric. If I was to have bought a B250e, it would have been white, with the tan interior. They are beautiful cars. However, the deal I got on the focus was just too good to pass up.

Sorry to hear that the M-B dealer turned you off, more so as you are an experienced EV pilot! I'm not only an EV newbie, but also an M-B newbie.
The M-B dealer in my case is owned by one of the large multi-brand, multi-showroom dealers, where there's no sales commission plan, no price haggling, and a lot "corporate America" in the mix. Good or bad, hard for me to tell, but it's certainly here to stay.

I don't expect to be in the car buying market for a while, but I'm expecting it to have shifted quite a bit more when I'm looking for my next vehicle.

Peter,

in case nobody checks other threads than here, the car can take 10kw charging from the wall. as in 40 if not even 42-43 amps. it will then charge in 3 hours, tho i don't think it's ever been empty. i say this because the only mention of home charging said 7.7 kw and it can do 10.

bananapeal,

You are talking about a 220v outlet or a L2 charger, correct? I get 0.8 KwH on 120 outlet and 6 KwH from a dedicated L2 charger.

I ask as I have to convince my incubator landlord to install an L2 charger (or dedicated 220v outlet) at work.

For a 40A/10Kw charger on 220V the circuit breaker must be 50A. Typically you see L2 chargers that charge at 6.6 or 7.2Kw because they are only on a 40A circuit breaker so maxing out at 32A.

Most EV's have 6.6 or 7.2Kw chargers so finding a 40A/10Kw charger is a bit rare.

rrattie said:
For a 40A/10Kw charger on 220V the circuit breaker must be 50A. Typically you see L2 chargers that charge at 6.6 or 7.2Kw because they are only on a 40A circuit breaker so maxing out at 32A.

Most EV's have 6.6 or 7.2Kw chargers so finding a 40A/10Kw charger is a bit rare.

Good points about EV chargers. There is some confusion, to be expected, as even EV owners/users remain in the dark about charging options.
I do most of my B250e charging at work. We have eight stations, all equipped with Clipper Creek equipment. Two are Slow (L1 level?) and all others are L2. However, two of these are branded "High Power"

The advantage of the "High Power"chargers depends a lot on the vehicle's charging system. In short the EV will only take the current available up to a set point.

Either the max allowed by design of the EV station (that is the Ampacity of the electrical feed and size of the breakers protecting it)
Or the max allowed by the Vehicle
Or the max set by the EV vehicle owner/user.

In the case of the B250e the max charging current value is buried in the settings menu. Worth checking yours to know that you haven't accidentally input a lower value and effectively slowed your vehicle's charge rate.

How do other EVs fair? Here's a handy table from Clipper Creek showing the models and charging times on different EV charger ratings.

If this screen shot is hard to read, find the source file here

Notice that the B250e data is the same as the "Tesla Model S Single Motor" (regardless of battery size in the Tesla)
In summary, there is little to be gained by installing a "bigger" L2 charger at home (or work) The time savings is trivial in the case of the B250e.

Peter,

just buy the 50 amp breaker put in ur box... then pipe the wires into one of those kits or boxes you buy from online, we use OpenEvse kit 40amp. BAM! 9.6kw charging hole right in your garage. needs 240v house connection.

otherwise as they say 208v is 7.6kw max. 208v is the commercial 3-phase supply (or i guess city) 240v is residential. so i think the math goes 208*12*3 = 7.5kw and so that's why you see 6-7 kw l2 chargers in public? is 208 3 phase in america. 220v is some euro thing 3-phase. usa to the residential house is one phase of 240v.

bananapeal said:
just buy the 50 amp breaker put in ur box... then pipe the wires into one of those kits or boxes you buy from online, we use OpenEvse kit 40amp.

I for one would not put a 50A breaker in the panel, without first checking the wiring downstream.
A common misconception is that breakers protect *loads*, but their sole job is to protect the *wiring* downstream. Fire hazard!

One of our Tesla 3 owner/drivers had a garage fire the first time he charged his car in the home garage. The garage 120V outlet could not support a 20A draw due to common practice of push-in terminal wiring (and not using the outlet's rear screw terminals)

Peter,

yes we're finishing up with finishing the garage with insulation and plywood wall so got to install the fresh wires. to keep the baby climate controlled during the winter. use the thick wires as per your fire standards code whatever.

winter is coming. what shall the range say? will the ceiling be in place? :ugeek: _..o0

Back