2014 to 2016? New options?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saabluster

I stopped by our local dealership and drove a 2016 B and was suitably impressed. Loved everything except the throttle mapping. Needs to be more responsive. Anyway there was a cool feature with the backup camera where you could see an even wider than normal view to see cars coming at you from the sides. I wondered if this was new so searched through the 2015 manual and couldn't find any mention of it. Is this a new feature found only on the 2016s or do all of them have it?

So what does it look like? You go into reverse, and it there a button you press to see a wider angle?

wtzouris said:
So what does it look like? You go into reverse, and it there a button you press to see a wider angle?
Yes. The option is on the bottom of the screen to toggle between regular or wide.

lindner said:
I have the wide angle option on my 2015 B Class.
Good to know. Thank you for chiming in. Interesting since I couldn't find it in the 2015 manual. Do you know what the feature is called so that I can search for it?

wtzouris said:
I only have one range of view on my backup camera (2014 Model Year) How was CarPlay?
I didn't try CarPlay. Wasn't enough time. I am wondering if this wide view thing is part of the parktronic package. Do you have parktronic?

I just took delivery of a 2016 with the following options:
Premium
Multimedia
Blind-spot

You get CarPlay with the Multimedia package. It's very new to the dealers so don't expect them to know much (but do they ever really understand the tech in their own cars?). The CarPlay is very cool; it basically puts your phone apps up on the display screen, but only those that are designed for use while driving. The best part is probably the familiarity. You instantly know how to find your music, work through messages, etc. Plus, all of your favorites are still there so you don't end up having to maintain separate lists in your car and on your phone.

One big drawback is that if you plug in your phone it will cut off the COMAND navigation system in favor of Apple Maps. I haven't used COMAND or Apple Maps much really, so I can't really judge yet which is better (I use Google Maps or the Nav system in my now defunct Leaf). Lots of people complain about about COMAND and Apple Maps, so I'm going to experiment. I just wish I had a way to turn of Apple Maps with my phone plugged in. I can't figure out how to do that and don't think it is an option. Note: you can plug your phone in to USB slot 1 and then it will just show up as an iPod (i.e., no CarPlay).

I'm also loving the Radar-based regenerative braking. If installed, the radar-based adjustment are active when you are in D-Auto. It's really cool to watch the car switch from costing (when nothing is front of you), to full regen when it sees a car. I was hoping that the car would use the regen with cruise control, but it doesn't seem to.

Still exploring some of the other features. This guy is a big step up from my 2013 Leaf SL.

I researched all the options quite a bit before buying; feel free to ask follow-on questions.

Back