Apple CarPlay vs COMAND

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redfive

Does anyone know if you can select the COMAND navigation system when CarPlay is active? I'm not a big fan of Apple Maps and would like to be able to have my phone plugged in so I can access my music/phone/contacts easier, but not the navigation.

Apple Maps is great, but can you use WAZE or other mapping apps if you have CarPlay?
Is there any way that CarPlay can be retrofitted to a 2014 B-Class or does it require special hardware only in the 2016 Model Year?

I've got a 2016 now and don't see any way to disable Apple Maps unless you don't use CarPlay (you can plug your phone in to USB slot 1 to just use it as an iPod). Jury is still out on whether I prefer Apple Maps over COMAND. Lots of COMAND haters out there but equally as many Apple Maps haters. I'll do some testing...

So I bought my car in late December 2015 ... I don't know if I have CarPlay or not, the whole system is just COMAND, is this possibly a $350 upgrade that I would have to do? Anyone know when this option was made available?

Updated: I wrote December 2016 which is obviously impossible. But apparently it was produced in 10/2015 so may not be available in the car.

Back