B-Class Gear Shifter Does not go to "R" or "D"

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaguls99

This morning I pulled my vehicle out of garage and had it parked outside while the electrician was installing 240V JESLA charging station.
After completing the installation, I wanted to test the charging and my b-class would not move.

Practically, the gear shifter does not move to "D" (Drive) or "R" (Reverse). It work with "N" (Neutral) and "P" (Parking) positions but not the other two.

Did any of you face the same issue? I ended up blocking my driveway and had to call road side assistance to have it taken to a nearby dealer. It is brand new with about 150miles and this strange issue...

Shed some light if you have come across this.

I don't think engine was on. It normally shows "Ready" when it is on. It lit all symbols on dash. It showed to push on brake to have the gears working but nothing happened even after applying brakes.

Local MB dealer towed and going through some inspection.

seaguls99 said:
I don't think engine was on. It normally shows "Ready" when it is on. It lit all symbols on dash. It showed to push on brake to have the gears working but nothing happened even after applying brakes.

Local MB dealer towed and going through some inspection.

I've seen this once and I think it was because I didn't keep my foot on the brake long enough when turning the car on. I was able to turn the car off and wait a couple minutes then turn the car again without problem. It seems the car is sensitive to glitches during the turn on process. My wife has seen alarming messages when she tried to shift gear too quickly after turning on the car. Now I always keep my foot firmly on the brake when I turn on the car and wait until the COMAND display on the center console shows everything is ready before I shift gear and take my foot off the brake. I have seen no issues since.

Similar situation on first day of driving. I did not press brake hard enough and engine did not start. Turn off/on resolved the problem (no waiting in between)

Yes the few times I've had glitches, I just do a quick re-boot turn the key off and on again. Sometimes I click OK on the steering wheel to clear any warnings. Just don't rush when shifting.

Back