B-Class Home Charge Station

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaguls99

I am getting my B-Class tomorrow and wish to check your thoughts on installing a home charge station. MB sales rep recommended Bosch for $2300. A friend suggested to know more about Schneider Electric EV230WS which is much economical than Bosch.

Wish to check what you all proud owners use/recommend.

I had a 14-50 installed in the house - about $500.00. Bought a Clipper Creek EVSE to plug into it - I paid $595 but I saw the price go down to $495

We have a MBe, Volt and a Tesla S. So the ability to just plug something else in the 14-50 was important. I also liked the portability. I think the hard wired EVSE was $395.

No need to pay that crazy price. There are other quality EVSE's out there -- check with you local utility, they may have some incentive deals. Chargepoint is coming out with a "Home" Version, prices not yet announced. Aerovermont has received good feedback. Like I said, there are several models out there. Decide whether you need an all weather solution or not, portable or mounted.

Unless you need to charge faster - a simple Level 2 EVSE will work fine.

I am using a Siemens VersiCharge EVSE, and so far it works well to charge my BCED overnight starting at 11pm to benefit from the lowest electricity rate (PG&E's EV-A plan). I purchased the unit on amazon.com where I found the best price back in 2014. The following are features I took into account: timer to delay the start time, the unit plugs into a 6-50 outlet, a 20ft long cord which easily loops around the unit when not in use.

With the BCED you'll plug into the left side at the back of the car as opposed to the front on a Volt or Leaf. So cord length of your EVSE could actually matter depending on your place and layout.

For 2014, there was a federal tax incentive on new EVSE installations. I don't know if the credit will renew in 2015.

OMG don't pay too much for installation! Get a 14-50R 240 volt outlet installed -- that's it. Tell the electrician you need 6 gauge wire and a 50 Amp breaker. That way you can safely pass the 40 Amps to your B-Class, which is capable of 40 Amp (9.6 kW) charging. That is 30% faster than most EV cars which can do only 6.4 kW (30 Amps)

Second: Buy an EVSE (portable is just as good as a wall unit) that is capable of 40 Amp charging and that has a 14-50P plug.

Best: Jesla (modified Tesla UMC) sold by quickchargepower.com

Excellent: JAMP Jr.sold by quickchargepower.com - may not be available yet

Excellent: Leviton EVB40-PST Evr-Green 400 EV Charger, 40-Amp, Surface Mount, 25-Foot Cord, Requires 50Amp Circuit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG1479A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=PVT6EU294IH2&coliid=I2NNIVMSVKL9IX&psc=1

Good: Clipper Creek HCP-40P http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/
(ONLY 32 Amp rate)

My Mercedes dealer also offered similar level 2 chargers but actually recommended getting one on my own. So, I got the JuiceBox Pro for about $600 on Amazon and overall it has worked well for me with 40amp/240v charging, which most level 2 chargers do not support, and time-of-use scheduling for charging during my PG&E EV-A rate plan off-peak hours.

Thanks a lot.

Is JESLA or Leviton EVB40-PST charging be timed? Can we control the charger's timing so I get the best electricity rates (have time-of-use service).

Got my B-Class today and placed an order for JESLA (modified Tesla UMC) sold by quickchargepower.com. I will post some statistics upon getting it installed and use few times.

Thanks for the forum members for your quick responses and helping the newbies!!..

You also have the option of installing a mechanical timer. This eliminates and software issues on the charger and the car.

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=263

"Get a 14-50R 240 volt outlet installed" -- how much should it cost to get this installed in my garage please? Thanks!

-----------------

wtzouris said:
OMG don't pay too much for installation! Get a 14-50R 240 volt outlet installed -- that's it. Tell the electrician you need 6 gauge wire and a 50 Amp breaker. That way you can safely pass the 40 Amps to your B-Class, which is capable of 40 Amp (9.6 kW) charging. That is 30% faster than most EV cars which can do only 6.4 kW (30 Amps)

Second: Buy an EVSE (portable is just as good as a wall unit) that is capable of 40 Amp charging and that has a 14-50P plug.

Best: Jesla (modified Tesla UMC) sold by quickchargepower.com

Excellent: JAMP Jr.sold by quickchargepower.com - may not be available yet

Excellent: Leviton EVB40-PST Evr-Green 400 EV Charger, 40-Amp, Surface Mount, 25-Foot Cord, Requires 50Amp Circuit
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DG1479A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=PVT6EU294IH2&coliid=I2NNIVMSVKL9IX&psc=1

Good: Clipper Creek HCP-40P http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/
(ONLY 32 Amp rate)

manavkatyal said:
"Get a 14-50R 240 volt outlet installed" -- how much should it cost to get this installed in my garage please? Thanks!

-----------------

It is impossible to quote a price.The total length makes a major difference. Also electrician prices vary by region. Just get some free quotes first.

Make sure that you tell the electrician you want a 50A 14-50R for a RV. Telling them it is for your electric car is a very good way to inflate the price!

What is the difference between the Jesla charging station and the Tesla portable charger PN: 1025821-00-A?

I just bought a Mercedes B-Class electric and was told I could use the Tesla mobile charger without any modifications. The Jesla is $999 and the Tesla $650? Can I use either? If so, why is the Jesla so much more expensive? Am I missing something.

Thanks!

LAelectric said:
What is the difference between the Jesla charging station and the Tesla portable charger PN: 1025821-00-A?

I just bought a Mercedes B-Class electric and was told I could use the Tesla mobile charger without any modifications. The Jesla is $999 and the Tesla $650? Can I use either? If so, why is the Jesla so much more expensive? Am I missing something.

Thanks!

The difference is the plug $100 and quick charges profit. Tony has stated that he buys at retail just like you. He is certainly entitled to make some money. You must use a J1772 plug, not Tesla's one.

Unless you need a portable solution a fixed Clipper Creek unit is a better deal. You can use either the 30 or 40A unit. The 30A unit works fine and charges 25% slower but saves a lot of money. The clipper Creek numbers refer to the required circuit. For a 40A EVSE you need a 50A circuit ( 125% of 40A).

The Jesla is a great piece of engineering and really reliable. I'm very pleased with my purchase -- perfect charging for the last 10 months, also using a 40 foot! J1772 extension cord called JLONG for 59 feet of cable from the 14-50R outlet. I just leave the JLONG connected all the time and that's the cord that takes the abuse -- the first 19 feet of Jesla cord stays wrapped on the wall. Not that there is much abuse -- I never roll cars over the cord.

I also have the JESLA. It works great offering portability and flexibiliy you don't get with other chargers. 12a, 16a, 24a, 42a charge rates all in a single unit just by changing the input connnector on the end.

You get the max charge rate the car can handle, as well as 3 steps lower if you need it.

I have the 50A connector in the garage right next to the car, JELSA unit velco tired to the wall. Somewhere on amazon I got a wall socket to store the J1772 (car side) connector when not in use.

Using the 30A connector, I can charge the car off my Generac 8000E generator. Makes for a great monthly full load test of the genertor. I also built some adapters to enable a standard 30 amp 4 pin gnerator extension cord to be used. Now I can reach the 30A 240v clothes dryer connnector at a family members house if I need to.

Yes there are cheaper options if you just need a single rate wall charger coupled with the Benz supplied emegency charger. If you want some flexibility, JESLA is the ticket.

I have installed the new ChargePoint HOME changer. It's working great with the B-Class. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

It's really easy to setup and install. I love the iPhone app and it's features. Also it ties in with NEST Home.

Check it out.

http://www.chargepoint.com/home/

Senqua said:
I have installed the new ChargePoint HOME changer. It's working great with the B-Class. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

It's really easy to setup and install. I love the iPhone app and it's features. Also it ties in with NEST Home.

Check it out.

http://www.chargepoint.com/home/

In following your link it looks like they offer a 16A and 32A 240V EVSE. I presume the $499 one is the 16A unit. Both units will charge the B but neither one will charge at 40A. If you have a lot of time the 16A unit will work for you. After all that is all the first generation Leaf's charged at. Obviously the faster the charge rate the faster charging is completed.

I would not buy a 16Amp charger for a car that can charge at up to 40 Amps. the 32Amp Clipper Creek/Chargepoint seem like a good compromise if you don't want to spend the money or don;t have the 50 Amp outlet capable of supporting 40Amp Jesla.

Back