Charge rate is very slow

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

Until I get my 240v plug installed, I have to use the 120v charger that comes with the car.

I charged about 12 hours last night, and went from a 31 mile range to a 50 mile range. That's only a gain of about 20 miles per 12 hours of charging time. Is this consistent with what everyone else is experiencing?

I wouldn't gauge the charging rate by the range, as it is just an estimate based on driving history. A better gauge would be based on the meter that looks similar to a fuel meter. You could toggle with the menu to view that meter as a percentage.

Also if you have the "My B-Class" portal setup, you could view the charge in percentages from there. See below.

Ferdball said:
Until I get my 240v plug installed, I have to use the 120v charger that comes with the car.

I charged about 12 hours last night, and went from a 31 mile range to a 50 mile range. That's only a gain of about 20 miles per 12 hours of charging time. Is this consistent with what everyone else is experiencing?

The 120 volt / 12 amp cable that comes with the car will only add 3-4 miles per hour of charging of actual range.

The JESLAtm 40 amp portable charge cable will charge the Mercedes B-Class ED at the maximum charge rate possible, from 100 to 250 volts.

It should be around 3 to 4 miles per hour on 120... I suspect that the GOM is lying to you for whatever reason (that NEVER happens ;))... Without an actual SOC display in the car, it is damn hard to figure out where you really are... You would think that MB would have learned from others, such as Nissan initially, that not including such a display is a big mistake, but no...

Ferdball said:

SOC?

I'm getting about 1.6 miles per hour charge, according to the range display. I should be getting a response from the dealer today.

tomt said:
It should be around 3 to 4 miles per hour on 120... I suspect that the GOM is lying to you for whatever reason (that NEVER happens ;))... Without an actual SOC display in the car, it is damn hard to figure out where you really are... You would think that MB would have learned from others, such as Nissan initially, that not including such a display is a big mistake, but no...
Hmm there is a basic fuel gauge that should serve as an SoC...

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7548%3Dot%3E8447%3D84%3C%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2876338%3B98259ot1lsi

Yes, all electric cars have those in one form or another but it does not give enough granularity or precision to really be of use in determining range, exact battery level, or consumption. That is what you need a digital SOC meter reading in percent for.

padamson1 said:

padamson1 said:
tomt said:

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7548%3Dot%3E8447%3D84%3C%3D34%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2876338%3B98259ot1lsi

Wow, I noticed from the picture you have 101 mile range with about 77% SOC. Do you have the "range package" or perhaps you are doing some very efficient driving?

It's possible to get some wild numbers with the GOM. I live at the top of a long hill and it can show 30 miles or so when I get to the top and when I turn around again and hit the bottom, three times that amount... There is a reason why it is called the GOM...

joneng22 said:
Wow, I noticed from the picture you have 101 mile range with about 77% SOC. Do you have the "range package" or perhaps you are doing some very efficient driving?

If you push the up or down button on the left side of your steering wheel, the center display will change. One of those will show you the SOC percentage.

joneng22 said:
Also if you have the "My B-Class" portal setup, you could view the charge in percentages from there. See below.

Found the link. Here it is for anyone else.
https://app-242.secure.mercedes-benz.com

Ferdball said:
I still don't get stats on this app. Do I need to do something on the car to get it to sync?

Did the sign up for the free trial of "Mbrace"? This app works in conjunction with Mbrace. The free trial is usually 6 months for new MB owners, however as a MB B class ED owner, the free trial is 3 years.

Regarding the original problem and slow charge rate on 110-120v, according to my documentation, you must select the maximum charge rate via a button on the cable or via the on-board computer and that, unless you do this, it defaults to the minimum (which is not specified). This must be re-done each time the cable is disconnected from the wall.

Back