Drive efficiency question for owners

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sendler2112 said:
TonyWilliams said:
I don't work with beliefs over data. You guys are welcome to.
You ARE working with a belief without your own measurement. You believe that whatever the factory publishes for the battery capacity is correct. Spec sheets are notoriously inaccurate. And, there is always some variation between design and production. The SparkEV spec sheet doesn't even know how much the car weighs. "Base curb weight -TBD-".

Again, I specified specifically how we DO NOT "just" use the manufacturer spec sheets, specifically becasue WE FIND THAT DATA TO BE WRONG MANY TIMES !!

Get off the soap box.

Right now, the only thing you are measuring is range. You are not measuring capacity or consumption in any way. Which would be very easy to do. If more than a little time consuming. It's too bad that you have to take positive criticism as an attack. All you have to do is add a measured recharge after the range test to get a valid comparison. Any ChargePoint or similar charging station will show you the power that you used so you don't have to just BELIEVE what the automaker puts out in PR.

You just don't have reading skills... end of debate with me.

TonyWilliams said:
I don't work with beliefs over data. You guys are welcome to.

Again, I specified specifically how we DO NOT "just" use the manufacturer spec sheets, specifically becasue WE FIND THAT DATA TO BE WRONG MANY TIMES !!

Get off the soap box.

You just don't have reading skills... end of debate with me.
Again with the personal attacks? I read quite well thank you. You mentioned reading the can data of the Rav. You alluded to measuring the recharge of something but never went into how you applied that to anything. Knowing the cell count doesn't prove anything because you do not really know the charge/ discharge cutoff voltages that were used by any given auto maker. And you never did any of these in regard to the SparkEV that you just tested to be 170MPGe at 62 mph. Which is way beyond what could reasonably be expected indicating that your ASSUMPTION of the battery capacity in the case of this car at least is incorrect.
TonyWilliams said:
So, as to the GM Spark EV, I do not have the same level of external confirmation of the battery size

Did some more reading. :lol: From the first response to the post about the test on InsideEV:
http://insideevs.com/real-world-test-shows-chevy-spark-ev-has-substainally-more-range-than-nissan-leaf-62-mph-wvideo/
tm4ebUi.png

"Minor: per some GM blog it appears the capacity is 21.4 (vs 21.3).
5miles/kWh via this picture from the video:
92.8miles divided by 5miles/kWh = 18.56 kWh used
18.56/21.4 = 86.7% "
Right off the bat someone had a question back in 8/2013 about the posted capacity and efficiency that was never further addressed.
TonyWilliams said:
GM / Chevrolet
2014 Spark EV - 5 miles per kWh (200 wattHours per mile) * 19kWh = 95miles / EPA 82
How did you come up with 19kWh? Just because the in dash readout showed 5.0 m/kWh?
There is a passing mention of the 2014 Spark battery capacity here:
http://insideevs.com/gm-shifts-2015-chevy-spark-ev-battery-manufacturing-house-facility/
"(It should be noted GM also likes to ’round off’ numbers, the current Spark EV pack is actually 21.4 kWh)" This was regarding the original 2014 Spark battery as was being tested.

If we add the displayed 3 miles remaining to the 93 that were actually driven and divide by the published 21.4 kWh we get a more reasonable 4.49 m/kWh, 152.75 MPGe. Which is still probably a little higher than if it were possible to actually measure the battery energy but would be closer to the truth. The SparkEV does not get 170MPGe at 62 mph .

You are using the 2014 battery's total capacity of 21.3-21.4 kWh in your calcs, rather than its usable capacity, which is right around 19kWh (+- the usual allowed tolerance, as above).

336 AMP20 cells. There is a good article about the Spark battery here:
http://gm-volt.com/2013/08/02/spark-ev-versus-volt-battery/
They are saying 81% depth for 17.4 kWh
Slide5.jpg

It will be interesting to see what people who log from the wall start posting. 5+m/ kWh just seems very unrealistic compared to all of the other EV's out there that can't get near this number including the tiny MiEV.

The Spark does seem to be quite efficient. Lowest reported m/kWh I'remember seeing on the Spark forum was about 4.2, with many reporting over 5 and IIRR some over 6. GM seems to have done their work on getting high powertrain efficiency. IIRR there are some graphs floating around somewhere plotting its efficiency vs. speed, but don't remember where at the moment. Here's some others, talking about the changes to the gear ratio from the 2014 to the 2015: http://insideevs.com/2015-chevy-spark-ev-highlighting-changes/

GRA said:
The Spark does seem to be quite efficient. Lowest reported m/kWh I'remember seeing on the Spark forum was about 4.2, with many reporting over 5 and IIRR some over 6. /
Unfortunately those are probably all taken off of the dash which could be anything other than accurate. Not that a logging charge station guarantees accuracy since many of those don't sample the line voltage, but I would trust that more than the in car gauge which the automaker has a strong motivation to make optimistic.

sendler2112 said:
GRA said:
The Spark does seem to be quite efficient. Lowest reported m/kWh I'remember seeing on the Spark forum was about 4.2, with many reporting over 5 and IIRR some over 6. /
Unfortunately those are probably all taken off of the dash which could be anything other than accurate. Not that a logging charge station guarantees accuracy since many of those don't sample the line voltage, but I would trust that more than the in car gauge which the automaker has a strong motivation to make optimistic.
While I agree that the in-dash display's accuracy has not, to my knowledge, been verified directly outside of GM by instruments of known accuracy and precision, the fact is that the cars do go considerably further than a LEAF (which has both a larger total and larger usable capacity). In addition, both the Volt and Spark (2014 MY, anyway. There aren't enough 2015 Spark owners on the forum yet to say) have DTE algorithms that are far more accurate than the usual GOM; unless you're driving in really abnormal circumstances, you can expect them to be accurate within a mile or two, something that is impossible to say about the LEAF or most other BEVs.

Part of the better efficiency is due to the 400+ lb. weight advantage that the Spark has, but the fact is that it gets a lot more out of its smaller battery pack (560 lb. on the 2014 MY, 474 lb. on the 2015 MY) than the LEAF does with its 680 lb. pack, and while the 2015 Spark uses the same basic LiMN2O4 chemistry as the LEAF (with some minor proprietary tweaks by LG, versus the AESC cells used by Nissan), the 2014 Spark's LiFePO4 chemistry has a lower specific energy (Wh/kg.) than LiMn2O4. OTOH, it has better cycle life, thermal stability and high temperature tolerance, which are the reasons I think the 2014 Spark pack will last longer on average than the 2015s, and IMO was preferable for those reasons.

The Volt is able to hide its degradation because it sequesters a lot more of the battery initially and (probably) opens up the SoC range as it ages, but the Spark uses a higher % initially like other BEVs. But then it's also is properly cooled and heated, so even the 2015 Spark's packs should last longer than the LEAF's.

Question for Tony.

Do you have a thread that show just your data on the B ED in terms of consumption and range? I'm getting lost in this particular thread.

JupiterRed said:
Question for Tony.

Do you have a thread that show just your data on the B ED in terms of consumption and range? I'm getting lost in this particular thread.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, so here's some other posts:

Both cars use 2900ma Panasonic 18650 cells.

-------------------- RAV4 ----------- B-Class

Capacity ---------47.0kWh(est)---- 35.9kWh
Extended ---------41.8kWh -------- 31.5kWh
Normal -----------35.0kWh --------- 28.0kWh

Cells ----------------4800(est)------ 3696
Modules ------------- 12 ------------- 12
Cells per module ---- 400(est) ------ 308
Max cell volt -------- 4.2v --------- 4.2v(est)
Resting max cell --- 4.15v -------- 4.15v(est)
Resting pack max--- 382v ---------- 365v
Minimum cell ------- 2.5v ----------- 2.5v

Range max/ 65mph - 142 ---------- 113
Consumption --------- 3.4 ---------- 3.6 (with 1.2 correction factor, 3.0 on dash)

The Panasonic published voltage range 4.2v to 2.5v, which is 3.35v average.

3.35v * 2900ma * 3696 cells = 35.9kWh for the B-Class ED

Longest Range Pointers

1) Drag - Wind resistance - high elevation and hot ambient temperatures thin the air, making it easier for any object to pass through the air. In the airplane business, we call this calculation "density altitude". Here's an easy to use online version: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm. The most "aerodynamic" vehicle will cut through the air with the least resistance.

2) Drag - Rolling resistance - drag from everything that rotates to move the car; tires, wheel bearings, u-joints or cv-joints, gears and bearings, gear lubricant. Generally, the hotter the lubricant, the lower its resistance; the higher the tire air pressure, the lower the tire resistance.

3) Gravity and Mass equals Weight - as long as there is gravity, it will take energy to accelerate mass and energy to propel mass at speed. Obviously, it also takes significantly more power to lift the mass away from the gravitational pull while driving uphill. Quite simply, lighter is better.

4) Ideal speed - every vehicle has a speed where the intersection of the power required to overcome drag and weight is the least. Heavy cars with high drag tires (but extremely aerodynamic) like a Tesla tend to be most ideal in the 20-25mph range and small, lower mass cars like LEAF and Spark EV are probably in the 10-15mph range. Obviously, anything that uses power that isn't being used to overcome drag and weight is a waste; the heater, a/c, etc.

5) Hot batteries store more energy - the hotter the better, however, this same heat tends to significantly shorten their life (Nissan LEAF in Phoenix) and in some cases (Boeing 787), make the battery fail.

That's it! Hit the ideal speed, at the lowest weight with the least drag and the most stored energy!!!!

You may be doing some reading but you are also doing some misinterpretation or misunderstanding... When it comes to these things, I'll believe Tony's data and results any day as he has a lot of experience in this and a very long, positive track record...

sendler2112 said:
Did some more reading.

Back