Full charge and only 66 miles range?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneng22

So I woke this morning to monitor my overnight charging and I saw this:

A full charge with only 66 miles of range? Why was it not in the 80+ range. Keep in mind that I just pickup this vehicle 3 days ago (84 miles on the odometer) and I have not had the chance to fully charge with the stock 110V OEM charger the car came with.

I called MB Customer Serv and they did not have an immediate solution, however I receive a call from the same very nice CS rep about 5 minutes later. She said to try to reset the "trip" odometer. After the reset I got this:

82 miles on a full charge.

it is probably because the car is still trying to calibrate the range based on the limited driving style of 84 miles.

The range on the dash is an estimate and just like the one you'll see on an ICE, it will vary based on many factors, but your most recent instantaneous consumption is a major contributor. If you drove like a manic the night before, switched to Sport mode, or you live on a hill, it's going to give a lower estimate. My ICE fluctuates between 480->400->460 miles when I fill the tank and then drive up the steep hill to my house and then back down.

For this reason that gauge is called the GoM (Guess-o-meter). Most EV drivers ignore it until it gets below 20 miles, then things get serious and its worth looking at.

It is very odd that resetting the trip odometer would have an affect on the GOM as the two should not be in any way related... The GOM does not use the trip odometer but instead, a much shorter tracking distance, for its calculations. I wonder if MB simply used that reset function to also reset the GOM's learned behavior to a zero point, and if so, why... MB seems to have some strange ideas on how such things should work, such as using wall to wheels for the efficiency display...

joneng22 said:
82 miles on a full charge.

Wall to wheels is more acurate .... All EV s should do that...

Forget de GOM... Look to the percentage ... Normally is better.... I havê seen onde guy driving during 10 m a B classe... The GOM das always 45 miles but he have decrese 3% of percentage ....

No they shouldn't. If you are trying to figure exactly what range you have left, the two most important data points are current efficiency at the wheels and current energy available. Using that info from the dash of my Leaf and my Lincomatic meter, I can figure my actual usable range to within a couple of miles... It is impossible to do that with walls to wheels efficiency. If you want to display that too, fine, but wheel efficiency is what really matters to any EV driver...

rdias said:

I just got my B Class 2 weeks ago and very interestingly I have the same issue

Mercedes 110V Home Charger - Range shows 82 Miles at 100% battery
Bosch EL-51253 220V Charger - Range Shows 66 Miles at 100% battery
Mercedes Dealership Charger - Range Shows 90 Miles at 100% battery

Driving conditions in each case are all within close similarity (short errands not far from home)

I called Bosch and their answer is the charger is controlled by the car so there is not much they can do.

Is there a pattern here that Mercedes should know about ?

On an EV knowing your remaining range accurately is obviously very important.

blman66 said:
On an EV knowing your remaining range accurately is obviously very important.
Which is why I only use the Guess-O-Meter (GoM) as a guide. As I did for most of my life with ICE cars, I use the gas gauge to determine how far I can drive. The advent of an estimated range on vehicles never really caught on with me b/c they are only guessing what the future holds, they have no idea whether I am going to go on the highway, get stuck in traffic, climb a mountain, or go down a mountain (but I do). If the fuel gauge in my LEAF says I'm full, well I know I've got ~70miles, it's up to me to figure out whether that's actually going to be an overestimate, underestimate, or somewhere in between.

blman66 said:
Also resetting the trip odometer has made no difference to the ranges in each case.

How many miles do you have on the vehicle? Did you try resetting the trip odometer "before" you started the charging session with the Bosch?

tomt said:
No they shouldn't. If you are trying to figure exactly what range you have left, the two most important data points are current efficiency at the wheels and current energy available. Using that info from the dash of my Leaf and my Lincomatic meter, I can figure my actual usable range to within a couple of miles... It is impossible to do that with walls to wheels efficiency. If you want to display that too, fine, but wheel efficiency is what really matters to any EV driver...

rdias said:

Make that at least two folks who think displaying such non-sensical and confusing data that has ZERO application inside the car is DUMB.

Not as dumb as Toyota's "fuel" gauge that only goes to 80%, or timer that doesn't work on the 31st day of the month, but close.

I have the same situation. I charge on 240 about 3 times per week, I have never seen more than 68. I first saw 71 range when I took delivery, never seen that 85 they talk about. I have taken two trips where I thought I was stretching my limit. I did a 29 each way and a 32 each way the other night. I think 35 each way would be the most "range anxiety" I can handle. I had 16% left at the end of both trips. It appears the heater, radio nor lights on at night had much of an effect. That night trip was the longer. On a side note, not impressed with the iPhone app, I don't know what to believe. Anyone install a Clipper Creek charger?

rdias said:
Not as dumb as Toyota's "fuel" gauge that only goes to 80%, or timer that doesn't work on the 31st day of the month, but close.

These are all Tesla packs, so I suspect that might be because the pack is limited to 80% charge, and has no range charge option. On the Model S you can pick whatever stopping point you want, but Tesla discourages going beyond 85-90% except on rare occasions.

Hey Biman66, I only charge at my dealership Keba charger. I have never seen more than that 66. I am starting to think in terms of charge %

You don't reset the trip meter. You reset the meter that reads "From Reset" (the consumption meter) as show in the picture in the first post of this thread. It is the meter that shows mileage, hours, m/kWh, and mph. There are two of these gauges. one marked "from start" and the other "from reset". You need to reset the "from reset" meter.

In my driving, I find the GOM very cautious. I can recharge to full (non-range charge) and sometimes show only 66 miles. But, I've driven 16 miles to my dealer, and the car went down only 6 miles of range. Overall I can easily average 2.9 m/kWh indicated, and can in general look like I should beat the GOM by about 10 miles when originally charged.

The more I drive, however, the more the range meter tends to get more accurate. By 75 miles, it's pretty close to what I calculate using the SOC gauge.

Ray

Back