General Questions

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckh007

Hi....three questions . 1) What year and model nomenclature was this B250e last produced and offered ? 2) When and how exactly does the range extender work ? 3) If one charges the car from midnight to 6 am, how would one use the range extender without getting up at midnight ? Thanks . Oh, btw does purchasing a 2017 model with all the latest tecnnology make sense if you already have a 2014 model with NO technology (besides a lousy Navigation system) that has only 14K miles on it ? Thanks

chuckh007 said:
1) What year and model nomenclature was this B250e last produced and offered ?
I have a MY2017, with B250e trunk badge. Early models had lettering "ELECTRIC DRIVE" Some early models had accent color (door handles, I think)
So few on the road I've only seen this in the MB brochures.

chuckh007 said:
2) When and how exactly does the range extender work ?
Pressing the button on dash will trigger the next charge session to reach 100% of battery capacity (or less if unplugged before reaching 100%)
When charged to 100% expect the range to be 100 miles, give or take. I've seen 105 on mine. Unless the button is pressed again the next charge session will be 80%, or 84 miles, give or take. Range extender use could increase battery wear, and is not recommended more than, say, one per week.

chuckh007 said:
3) If one charges the car from midnight to 6 am, how would one use the range extender without getting up at midnight ?
You didn't say how you are charging it. Level One or Level Two? Level One is from a domestic outlet rated to 120V. My car draws 5A on level one, and that adds about five miles range for each hour, so expect thirty miles on a six hour session. Level Two is from an EVSE (which can be readily found in public, at work offices, or installed in your home garage) My car draws 15A on level two, and adds about twenty-two miles range for each hour, so the car will charge completely to 80% in four hours, and if set for range extender charging, reach 100% in about five hours.

No need to visit the vehicle at midnight. Once the button is pressed the next charge session will go to 100% (unless stopped earlier)

chuckh007 said:
Oh, btw does purchasing a 2017 model with all the latest tecnnology make sense if you already have a 2014 model with NO technology (besides a lousy Navigation system) that has only 14K miles on it ?
I'd go for the 2017 model. It likely has the Tesla Drive Unit (motor) build after the Model S motor recalls of the 2014 series.

Late Christmas gift?

Happy New Year!

Peter,

Agree with Peter, the biggest advantage is the newer tech/motor/DU, not to mention lower mileage. The other main thing is the Range Extender if you need it. If there is a remaining warranty on the 2017 and the opportunity to buy an extended warranty that covers the motor and the battery, that is the way I would go if I were to purchase my 2017 when the lease expires next September.

Back