Going solar?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pavan

I looked into going solar when I bought my home a few years ago. It did not make financial sense then because we have very low electricity consumption, typically worth about $40 a month. Now that I am charging a car at home -- I drive about 30 miles round-trip each day -- I am wondering if it would not make sense to get a rooftop solar installation. I am in northern Calfiornia, with PG&E. I have had my new B class for two weeks now, don't know exactly how much my electricity will cost with the new rate plan and such.

Has anyone here switched to solar after getting an electric car? If yes, was it worth it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

I am talking to Solar City about putting in a free system on my house. They have mapped out a 5.5kW system using the roof of the main house and the garage. The savings on the electric bill will more than compensate for the charging of the car. Then I will have to find a license frame that says "my car runs on sunshine". My electric bills are currently $250-$300 a month though. From what I got from the guy that came to my house they probably wouldn't offer a free installation to someone with as low usage as you. It would take them too long to realize a return on their investment.

Thanks, that is a great suggestion. I will check with SolarCity and their competitors if they are interested.

If you can afford it, lay out the cash up front to buy your own equipment, then apply for the tax breaks . At that point you will become a supplier to PG&E and you will get tiered rates, you can harvest around 28 cents per KWH when you're providing to PG&E in prime-time. Then set your car to charge after midnight (special rate plan with PG&E)and you will pay only 8 cent per KWH, basically you'll be selling at the high and buying at the low. Solar city, with their "zero down" plan takes advantage of several very large federal, state and local tax breaks in order to give you the zero down. If you do this yourself you can pay off your panels in about 5 years.

Any other options other than Solar city? Also any other tips why to lease or buy?

Thank you and hope it will help others also.

I don't get the whole "zero down" thing. If you get a loan from the bank and pay them back $150 a month, isn't that also "zero down?"

Anyway, I purchased and will have about $66k savings in 25 years, which is the expected life of the system.

Capture-SolarSavings.PNG

pavan said:
I looked into going solar when I bought my home a few years ago. It did not make financial sense then because we have very low electricity consumption, typically worth about $40 a month. Now that I am charging a car at home -- I drive about 30 miles round-trip each day -- I am wondering if it would not make sense to get a rooftop solar installation. I am in northern Calfiornia, with PG&E. I have had my new B class for two weeks now, don't know exactly how much my electricity will cost with the new rate plan and such.

Has anyone here switched to solar after getting an electric car? If yes, was it worth it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Did you go solar?

Which PG&E rate plan do you have currently? E-1 or EV-A? I switched to EV-A and it's great for charging during off-peaks hours because I was already in Tier 4 every month on the E-1 rate plan without EV charging. Not sure if it would make sense for your low electric usage.

Back