How much do you pay per KWH?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukeetal

I am just wondering how much other drivers pay in their neck of the woods.

We have really high rates here. After all supply charges and taxes we pay $0.227/kWh

I'm on a time of use plan. Very complicated IMO but it is what it is. I won't list all the details of dates, days of the week, or times but it gives an idea:

Summer
0.43 Peak
0.22 Partial Peak
0.09 Off-Peak

Winter
0.29 Peak
0.17 Partial Peak
0.10 Off-Peak

Obviously, I program my charge timer in my EV to do my charging in the off-Peak peak hours(between 11pm and 7am on weekdays) to get the 10cents/kwh rate. Also, I try to do my laundry(dryer uses 6KW) on the weekends where the off peak hours are more reasonable - all morning up to 3pm is off-peak 10 cent rate and after 7pm is also off peak.

If all my electricity usage is taken into account though, my avg rate comes out to about the same as you - around 20-21 cents per kwh. This includes firing up the A/C during the pricey peak hours. My A/C uses about 4KW.

I just started this plan a couple months ago so i've only been tracking summer avg cost/kwh. I expect this avg to drop in the cooler winter months since I won't be using the A/C during the most expensive part of the day.

This is the only usage I can't really shift. It's not too bad though, aside from laundry and EV, rest of electrical usage I don't really try to shift since length and/or rate is not as significant.

sweetwagon said:
I'm on a time of use plan. Very complicated IMO but it is what it is. I won't list all the details of dates, days of the week, or times but it gives an idea:

Summer
0.43 Peak
0.22 Partial Peak
0.09 Off-Peak

Winter
0.29 Peak
0.17 Partial Peak
0.10 Off-Peak
I too am in the south bay. I had solar on my roof for many years now, but I recently changed from E6 to E1, but I am not sure what I am doing. I am thinking maybe I should go back to E6. Summers are always hot now, so my A/C is on every afternoon. Are the rates you posted above E6 or E1? and do you have solar on your roof?

Rates I posted are for EV-A:

http://www.pge.com/en/myhome/saveenergymoney/pev/rates/index.page#

I do not have solar but I'm thinking of installing a small 3kw system just to offset my peak and some of my partial-peak usage.

tom said:
sweetwagon said:

Summer
0.43 Peak
0.22 Partial Peak
0.09 Off-Peak

Winter
0.29 Peak
0.17 Partial Peak
0.10 Off-Peak
I too am in the south bay. I had solar on my roof for many years now, but I recently changed from E6 to E1, but I am not sure what I am doing. I am thinking maybe I should go back to E6. Summers are always hot now, so my A/C is on every afternoon. Are the rates you posted above E6 or E1? and do you have solar on your roof?

Solar systems never pay off - even a 3kwh system is 20 panels. About $1200 a panel installed. $24000 - not much of a rebate or incentive any longer -

if you computer your pay off point is 20-30 years down the road - if you own the same house - it works -

otherwise - solar is a suckers bet and makes it harder to sell your house down the road if you lease the system or buy the power.

Back