I am am stupid!

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

No drag racing. I tried to beat a left turn signal to make a U turn. I went into it too fast and broke the suspension. The parts come from Germany and the repair is just under 5K. All of this was at 854 miles. Oh well it is a good thing I am planning to turn in the car at lease end. With the damage the tire did to the body work the whole thing is $7300. There goes my good driver discount.

GlennD,

Mercedes are built to withstand driving on one wheel. It must have been a heck of a U turn to cause the parts to fail. Short of an illegal U turn, this is not covered by the warranty? I would be tempted to have a discussion with the dealer about a very careful retired sort making a sharp turn and having his perfectly engineered Mercedes fail to take the turn.

I may be missing a few details but geez, if a part fails, it fails. Does not seem like wear and tear to me. Seriously sir.

Oh, GleenD, so sorry to hear.
I agree with JeffRay that you should have the conversation with the dealer.
Best of luck.

It appears that I went into the turn far too fast. I hit the curb and marked up the wheel and demolished the suspension. Then the floating wheel damaged the bodywork. You can not really blame the dealer or Mercedes for my mistake. Oh well, I guess that is what insurance ids for but it ruins my perfect record.

It has been almost six weeks now. I used up the State Farm money ($600) and now I am driving a service loaner. Hopefully I will get my own car back tomorrow. I HAVE HAD TO BUY GAS!

The C300 barely fits in my garage. I have abut a foot left.

Since it is more than my $500 deductible the total is covered by State Farm. The total bill is not reverent to me. I am out my deductible and the bill less bodywork was just about 5K. It took a long time for the parts to arrive from Germany. With the damage covered for the wheel's floating the total is $7300. Now they are saying Monday. At least I am driving a nearly new service loaner but I have to supply gas!

The body shop was recommended by the dealer. They even have a desk there. I just hope that Anaheim Hills Autobody does a good job. Since I have a car I can live with the over six weeks time but I WANT MY CAR BACK!

GlennD,

It is worth saying that we are all glad you came out unscathed by your two accidents. Our car is indeed nimble but being a little top heavy is not favorably inclined to take turns so easily.

Being an older sort myself, I no longer feel the need for speed even though I loved the movie at the time. The last time I took a 90 degree turn at any speed, I was politely stopped by two young state troopers, who said I went through a light. Having my wife with me helped as we were sent on our way with an old fashioned be careful next time. Haven't raced my B250e since.

It will be over six weeks. I hope they have been charging the car. The body shop is ten miles from home. If it does not have enough charge I am going to require it be charged before I pick it up. Now they are saying it will be done on the tenth.

GlennD,

I am hoping your State Farm insurance broker is assuring you that you will remain covered despite the two big mishaps. Years ago, after I had two cars stolen from an attended garage in separate incidents, my Allstate broker informed me that they will pay off but then would have to drop me into the state risk pool. Luckily, the second car was recovered by the police but it remains a cautionary tale about insurance matters at least in NY state.

Good luck sir.

I hope to remain covered. It was determined that the other driver was at fault so last week I received my deductible back. It tool over a year. The other car just had California minimums so I guess State Farm was out a lot of money.

Twenty years ago I hit and killed a motorcycle rider. With a manslaughter record the only company that would cover me was Progressive for over $400 per month. When my record was cleared I switched back to State Farm. Also since Long Beach was self insured after a year I could drive city vehicles. Everywhere else I was strictly a bench tech.

By the way, I think the C300 is considered a sports sedan. I find it also too low and it is hard to get in and out of but it is not forever.

GlennD,

Our B250e does have higher seats that make it easy for me and my wife to get in. Contrast to my MB 380SL, that one requires no effort to get in but leverage to get out. I need to do more arm and leg exercises!

My left hip bothers me. It makes getting into the C300 slow but I manage. If it was not for Tylenol(Costco generic)I think my 2 mile dog walks would be impossible. For an arthritic hip it works better than Motrin. My dog wants his walk now! I do 2 miles in 45 min. Not bad for a 70 year old with a bad hip.

I have had the service loaner for so long I should be making payments on it. The fender liner is taking forever to ship from Germany. I used up my $600 rental and now I have a service loaner. It has been seven weeks now. I WANT MY CAR BACK!

GlennD said:
It appears that I went into the turn far too fast. I hit the curb and marked up the wheel and demolished the suspension. Then the floating wheel damaged the bodywork. You can not really blame the dealer or Mercedes for my mistake.

Glenn,

Just thought I'd mention how rare it is these days for people to accept responsibility for their actions. This comes after hanging around a Chevy Bolt forum and reading several threads about "sudden tire failure" where the owner (or their kid) clearly drove over something and blew out a tire, but instead they down the path of blaming GM and/or Michelin for a defective product. While others blame everything from road conditions to the alignment of the planets, you recognize that you made a mistake and own it. Again, that's rare. While I'm sad to hear what happened, you have my respect. Best of luck for a good outcome with your car.

There is no doubt it is my fault. It seems to me that the mechanical repairs were done first and then the body parts were ordered. I ran out of Hertz rental money and I have had a service loaner since Christmas week. I JUST HOPE THEY DO A GOOD JOB.They have a desk at Anaheim Mercedes so the dealer recommends them. So far it has been seven weeks.

Well after two hole months Mercedes of Anaheim said that the car would be ready after 11AM on Friday. I can not wait! I just hope the repair turns out well. I think I will pick it up around 3PM.

I have had the service loaner since the Christmas week. I have had it so long I should be making the lease payment.

So far I have put in $30 for gas. I just got my 2 Month utility bill and it was over one hundred dollars less. I really miss the car and I am willing to pay the electricity costs. With the car subtracting its payment on the 26th I will have to wait for Calpiers on the first to pay it. That is OK since it is due on Feb 12. My checking account can pay for the car and the HOA but not yet the utility bill.

The 2017 loaner is strange. It turns off at signals. It seems to start well but it is disconcerting. I am not used to a car that goes dead. It defaults to the comfort mode and the turn off mode. If you want sport or sport + so you must select them at turn on. This is similar to the B250E. Sport mode is not sticky in either car. The car came with no manuals so I am not sure what the modes do. In the B250 they just modify the throttle response.

JeffRay said:
So sorry to hear that they are shipping your part to dealer via the slow boat.

I was under the impression they had to support the car for some time. Since the car is discontued The fender liner took a lot of time. I would guess that I would be dinged at lease turn in so I would not accept an incomplete car.

They offered me the car and I could come back when the part arrived. RIGHT, Sure I will wait! Why give them the incentive to drag their feet.

Back