Illegal to ship B-class out of state???

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricd

Ok nut that I am, I wanted to get a B-Class to replace my Leaf and have it shipped form the NE to Florida. So found the one I want and this is the message I get from the dealer that has the car.

" I am sorry but it is very difficult for us to ship any Mercedes-Benz outside our AOI (Area of Operation) due to the strict regulations enforced by Mercedes-Benz USA. Also, as you were looking for an all-electric B-Class, there are state registration laws for shipping this car out of state."

Shipping was not my concern. What I wanted from them was numbers on the lease first which the salesperson would not give me. The quote above is from the internet manager after contacting him. This sound like BS to me as I have got lease quotes from other MB dealers and they never mention this. Is this just dealer incompetence or do they just not what to sell the car? What do you folks think, can anyone here clear up the matter?

Thanks!

It's not illegal.

Mercedes doesn't want to ship to a state where they don't get CARB - Zero Emission Vehicle credits.

Thing that got me was, "there are state registration laws for shipping this car out of state". Looked around and I can't find any NJ state law that says you can ship a B-Class out of the state.

I bought mine in New York (Mercedes Benz of Massapequa) and had it shipped to California without any problems. I registered it without issue and successfully got the CA state rebate for purchase of a clean air vehicle.

Back