Is it safe to put the B on a lift for state inspection?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallcp

Is it safe to have a car inspection place lift my car off the ground? I know Tesla is super-picky about how the car is lifted, but I couldn't find anything about the B.

The lifts I see them use are two long parallel channels, the wheels hanging in front and back and the channel or pad pushing against the frame below the two doors on each side.

The Tesla folks don't want their battery bent, but I don't know how real the fears are with this type of lift.

As a side note, "quicky lube" places generally have a pit and don't use a lift. But those that also sell tires, have both.

This is the style I'm talking about.
low-rise-car-lift.jpg

Charles et al.,

Thought provoking question. I would be careful and be sure to have the mechanic place lift legs near designated hard points in the frame, not the battery. Check the manual. That seems to potentially be the problem with the lift in the picture as it may not hit the edge but instead could push up on the battery, which I would assume is a no no unless proven otherwise.

Be careful as the battery warranty isn't likely going to cover a battery bent by a lift.

hallcp said:
Is it safe to have a car inspection place lift my car off the ground? I know Tesla is super-picky about how the car is lifted, but I couldn't find anything about the B.

Interesting question. Are you required to have a state inspection? How often? Is this at a third-party facility?
Here in California we have bi-annual SMOG testing (for ICE vehicles...) This can be done at any state licensed stations, typically mechanic shops, but some vehicles can only be taken to "test only" stations. Bureaucracy at its finest!

Peter,

Same here in N.C.. Annual inspection at either an inspection-only business or a mechanical or JiffyLube who does them on the side.

I wouldn't think that kind of lift would be good for this car. The last time I had tires installed, they specifically pulled it out of a bay with that type of lift so they could use four floor jacks at the jack points. The battery extends slightly below the rocker panels and you'd essentially be lifting it by the battery, all 4,000 pounds of the car. Here's a good production video. You can see the battery installation at about the 9:15 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKapIeBNZP8

Agree with Patricio's astute analysis and recommendation to use the four hard points vs the pictured lift.

Back