Is there any way to change the behavior of the J1772 lock?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for your response, JeffRay. There's a picture on a prior page of a Volt doing something like what you've suggested. The challenge with the B is the cord length between the MB factory charging unit and the plug is merely 12". So, even if I back up to the outlet, thereby limiting the need for a long extension cord, there's still the possibility that the cord from the charger won't be long enough to exit through the hatch where it can then be plugged into the extension cord and then to the outlet. Further, for similar reasons stated above, routing the cord to and thru the rear window where it would then be plugged into an extension cord would be even more difficult and likely pose a greater risk of theft as the charger would likely be snug against the inside of the window, making it an obvious smash and grab target. Any other ideas?

If any B-owners are willing to post photos showing how they're accomplishing this task with their Bs -- the goal being to reduce the possibility of theft of the MB factory J1772 charger -- I'd greatly appreciate it.

Kind regards.

The spec says 18 inches max. I routinely ignore it and use 4 foot range cables.I guess the whole idea is to make something safe and idiot proof.

The primary focus of my last two posts is theft protection of the MB factory J1772 charger, as opposed to the length of the extension cord. Thank you, nevertheless, for your thoughts. If others have other ideas and/or pics, I would greatly appreciate it.

mr250e,

Who would have thought that SLC would be ripe with people who will grab our charger and resell it on eBay?

I will take a picture tomorrow of what I meant as I will be charging at workplace plugged into outside charger.

Thank you, JeffRay. FWIW, I didn't intend my inquiry as anything more than wanting to apply a "best practices" approach -- in other words, better safe than sorry, wherever the geographical locale. Thanks again, and I look forward to your photo.

Am trying to find a program that I can post picture and share. Dropbox and Google Drive not cooperating.

Just posted URL, photo probably too big.

My experience is the same as others here—mine does not lock. I wish it did, however. Has anyone figured out how to get theirs to lock? Right now I have a sign posted inside my car asking others not to unplug me. This has worked remarkably well, but a lock would be even better.

Back