JAMP JR from Quick Charge Power - 40 amps, low cost

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Coming March 1, 2015

240 volts, 40 amps, NEMA 14-50 plug, 25 foot long "ultra-flexible" cord

What's a good price point for this?

imagejpg1-9.jpg

Tony, will this charge at the full 10Kw (40-42a) rate off a 50A circuit that the B Class can support?

In those hot summer months that my house AC is cranking, will the B Class charge rate menu be able to dial the current back and lessen the load down into the 3Kw or 6Kw range?

42A of B Class charging, 50A of central AC, coupled with an oven, clothes dryer and well pump could be a lot for my 200A service to handle in the summer should they all happen to be one at once.

Assuming I pull the trigger on getting a B Class I'd be interested in a 40A charger that isn't of the $900 Leviton or Clipper Creek variety. Could you sell it for $500?

I like the price and feature set of the Siemens Versicharge but it is capped at 30A unfortunately. The delay timer, and low voltage contacts Siemens provides allow you to put some indicator lights and a on/ off switch up inside the house. I like those features but you can't get the full juice Benz / Tesla has allowed on this car but for $549.....

I'm not thrilled with the idea of the non UL approved open source type options, a 50A 240v circuit off your main breaker panel is serious business. So is JESLA or this new product UL listed?

TheStig said:
Tony, will this charge at the full 10Kw (40-42a) rate off a 50A circuit that the B Class can support?

Yes.

In those hot summer months that my house AC is cranking, will the B Class charge rate menu be able to dial the current back and lessen the load down into the 3Kw or 6Kw range?

Sorry, B-Class ED can do that.

42A of B Class charging, 50A of central AC, coupled with an oven, clothes dryer and well pump could be a lot for my 200A service to handle in the summer should they all happen to be one at once.

Charge at night to lessen the load?

Assuming I pull the trigger on getting a B Class I'd be interested in a 40A charger that isn't of the $900 Leviton or Clipper Creek variety. Could you sell it for $500?

I think it will be very close to that price.

I'm not thrilled with the idea of the non UL approved open source type options, a 50A 240v circuit off your main breaker panel is serious business. So is JESLA or this new product UL listed?

We have never UL listed any of our products (nor does Tesla with their 40 amp UMC). Of course, many of the components themselves are UL listed. It's unlikely that JAMP JR will every get the UL listing, but we will likely do so with higher priced units in the future.

tedkidd said:
Pictures? Features? What does it do that jesla doesn't? What doesn't it do?

This will be VERY simple. The whole idea is a low cost, durable, safe charge cable that doesn't skimp on power.

JESLA is portable, and JAMP JR will be a bit less portable. Both JESLA and JAMP JR will use our own J-Plug and ultra flexible 40 amp cable. JESLA has automatic amperage control, interchangeable plugs, 100 volt to 250 volt capability, carrying case, two included plugs, light weight (8 pounds total).

One better feature is a 25 foot cord for JAMP JR, instead of 19 feet for JESLA. JAMP JR, Model 40-50, will only plug in a 240 volt 50 amp circuit.

Thanks Tony.

One thing I'd like to clarify, are you saying the B class can or can not dial back the charge rate from the menu in the car? I thought I read somewhere on this forum there was an adjustment.

I'm sure UL listing is a pricey process. If it is common not to have it on a EVSE then so be it.

TheStig said:
Thanks Tony.

One thing I'd like to clarify, are you saying the B class can or can not dial back the charge rate from the menu in the car? I thought I read somewhere on this forum there was an adjustment.

I'm sure UL listing is a pricey process. If it is common not to have it on a EVSE then so be it.

No matter what is connected to the car's charge port, the charging amperage delivered by the car's onboard charger is always selectable by the car's own menu.
At this point the car allows selections of 10A, 13A, or maximum. There is no adjustment setting between 13A or maximum.
What people buying a level 2 charger are "after," particularly Tony's customers I think, are chargers that will permit currents over 13A whenever it's available.
Arguably, if 13A is enough for you, then the suppliers of 13A chargers with UL listings already make what you need at very affordable prices.

It sounds like the JAMP JR will be more of a dedicated 40A-ish portable EVSE. The JESLA probably contains more electronic components inside of it in order to accommodate an enormous variety of charge sources, while the JAMP JR could offer the ability to charge at 40A at multiple locations with NEMA 14-50 receptacles for less than the cost of 2(or more) non-portable EVSEs and for less than the cost of a JESLA. The lower price and weight may make it a better choice for those who aren't worried about needing to connect a portable EVSE to, say for example, a dryer socket or aunt Tilda's backyard hot tub receptacle.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. 99% of the time I expect there is no reason not to go all in with a 40A charge, but for those few times I need to throttle it down I wanted to be sure there was a way (short of going to the 110v emergency charger that comes with the car).

In the heat of the summer here on the east coast, my AC is cranking as are a bunch of other 240v devices on my 200A panel so I wanted to know there was a control available if needed and there is.

This new JAMP JR sounds like it would fit my needs nicely. I'll have to get over my UL listing concern that is all.

Assuming I pull the trigger on leasing the car in the first place......

Tony:

Does it have a timer?
I signed up for the "free" Juicebox but I'm still waiting.
I might be willing to give up on that if yours has a timer and the price is right.

-- BCK

BCKator said:
Tony:

Does it have a timer?
I signed up for the "free" Juicebox but I'm still waiting.
I might be willing to give up on that if yours has a timer and the price is right.

-- BCK

I wasn't planning on offering that, but it's SOOOooooo easy to add, I just might. It has to be a SIMPLE timer; any suggestions?

Personally I'd recommend a pair of low voltage terminals on the unit so an external timer or switch of any flavor could be attached.

The behavior would be if nothing is connected to the terminals, it charges normally. If the terminals are shorted (pulled to ground) then the charging would be inhibited or limited to just a few amps for accessory power (similar to what the Clipper CS units do).

A simple commonly available device like the below could then be the timer. You could sell that timer pre made and wired in a single gang handy box for those less DIY types.

http://www.intermatic.com/Products/Timers/InWallTimers/Springwound_Auto-Off_Timers/FDDecoratorSeries.aspx

Yeah, I was thinking that too. The controller for my low voltage transformer uses this approach. It has a 110v plug and socket and you can put an off-the-shelf timer in between. Without the controller, the unit is always on. The controller would also provide an instant-on switch. The only issue here is that it may be more effort to create the 110v for this controller vs using voltages you already have.

If that is the case, I would think that the most simple solution would be to have a button which can be pressed to delay the start some predefined time (like 8 hours as set via a dip switch) or 1 hour per press.

Tony, I'm going to need a charger by Thursday next week. I know JAMP JR. isn't ready to ship, could I pay for it now and you loan me a JESLA until a JAMP is ready?

TheStig said:
Tony, I'm going to need a charger by Thursday next week. I know JAMP JR. isn't ready to ship, could I pay for it now and you loan me a JESLA until a JAMP is ready?

You can go to our website and rent a JESLA.

When JAMP JR is ready, we will make some type of arrangement. Send an email to sales ((( @ ))) QuickChargePower.com

Back