Mushy accelerator

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeymammoth

So I test drove a 2015 b-class today, and I felt that the accelerator was very mushy and unresponsive. If I floored it, I seemed to get decent pick up, but it has a very disappointing feel. 1/2 way through the drive, I noticed the E, E+, S button, but by then my brother was driving, so I don't have 1st hand knowledge if changing to S made any difference. He felt that it was still sluggish and that it made no difference at all, and he left the test drive hating the car (note that if the salesman knew anything about this car, he could have told me about S mode when I complained about the pedal). I kind of want to go back and re-test drive it, but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the floor model or not. Many reviews have said that S mode provides excellent responsiveness.

*Vent on* I do think my brother has a tendency to let his emotions sway him very strongly such that he does not always have an objective viewpoint: the mercedes in E mode had a mushy pedal and nothing was then going to impress him about it. We had tested a Tesla S before-hand, and he couldn't stop going on about what a great car that was. But it's not fair to compare that $70,000 car with with the B-Class. (and I have to say, I didn't really like the interior of the Tesla). (I especially "liked" in the Tesla test drive the moment my brother said, "Brace yourself," and before I could register that he was even talking to me, he performed an evasive maneuver, and I hit my head on the window.) He kept going on and on about how his giant Acura SUV handled better and had better pickup than the B-class; and let me tell you, that thing is a BOAT. Now he won't stop harassing me about how I am still considering buying the Mercedes, and how he "knows" cars, and I clearly don't care about his opinion if I don't trust him that S mode didn't do anything, and how the accelerator is a safety hazard and takes 2 seconds to even register that he was pressing it, and that I've convinced myself that the mercedes is a good car because of MY unreasonable emotions or something. And how the merc isn't even "eco" like the Prius or Tesla or Leaf because it has so much more "stuff" in it because it's a luxury car and probably wasn't made to be recyclable like a "real" eco car. I told him he was pulling that out of his ass. *Vent off*

Anyway, any thoughts on the mushy accelerator? How much difference is there between E and S?

The sales guy was not very helpful, and clearly didn't know the car very well. The floor model has been sitting there for 6 months and he didn't seem very interested in selling it or giving me a good deal or anything. I'll see if he gets back to me tomorrow with any more info about price. I thought the cabin was very well designed and I liked the car; it was comfortable, and handled well, and had good pickup if I pressed hard on the accelerator. In MY opinion.

It sounds like you got a false impression. The B class ED has very good torque. There is a noticeable difference between E, E+, and S mode. Even in Auto-D mode, accelaration when departing a green traffic light will be snappier than most regular cars and put you ahead of the gasoline vehicle which departed at the same time next to yours.

I would suggest you schedule another test drive on your own, if you really liked the car.

The B is my first EV, and pressing/releasing the accelerator pedal took some time. EVs don't "respond" the same way as regular gasoline non-sports cars.

Acceleration could feel mushy if you pulled the left paddle shifter to put the car in D- mode (decelleration). The right paddle shifter does the opposite and adds a boost: D+. Pulling either paddle long enough puts you back in normal D mode.

Thanks for the response. I will have to make the trip next weekend. The dealer is about 1 hour away. I did play with the paddle shifters, but didn't pay attention to how that affected acceleration, and I trusted my bro about S mode and didn't re-take the driver seat. Hopefully the dealer will give me some $ off too. This is the only dealer in Colorado who sells this model (Mercedes of Littleton). I actually have no idea how they got Mercedes to let them sell it, as the Mercedes USA website seems to think there are no Colorado dealers! It doesn't have the leather seat package, but is otherwise fully loaded, and it's not the color I would have picked (it's silver; I would do red). Can't imagine why they didn't get leather and heated seats too.

Well MM, welcome to Mercedes world. If you want sporty, you gotta look at their gas powered rocket ships. Otherwise, you get the luxury, understated German approach. It is unfair to compare a Tesla S to the MB-Be, different strokes for different folks. If you want a fun, economical, luxury sub-compact, you are in the right place.

I agree with Renault, give it another try and put it into S mode. Also, don't settle, your dealer can acquire what you want so long as it is in the MB system. They will charge you the $750 delivery but small cost to get what you want.

Good luck.

cossie1600 said:
The throttle mapping sucks on these cars. Even in S it felt worse than my Leaf.

How do you like the Leaf? I'm considering the Leaf: it's $20,000 cheaper, but lacks the luxury I'd like. Also, the Leaf has a local dealer here in Boulder. I'm having a hard time getting excited about the Leaf, which is what I'd like to feel, since I'm really luke warm about my Prius.

Do you get used to the Merc pedal? Technically, it's supposed to have better 0 to 60 than a Leaf. And it definitely handled better than a Leaf.

I hate the Leaf, but it was a good reliable piece of transportation. You can't compare the Leaf to the B, just not in the same league. The B is quieter, handles better, faster, greater range, but it was more expensive. Ride is rough on both cars. Everything in the Leaf is simple, the B feels much more luxury. I do have to say the infotainment system is horrible The dumb throttle mapping on the Mercedes just takes a lot to get used to. The power is there, you just have to step on it hard or wait for it to come on. My RAV4 EV response way better, especially in power mode.

I currently have a C300 as a loaner for my B (when my AC was replaced in the Leaf, the service advisor bitched that I got a loaner car, that's the type of service you get). I have to say the B is actually not much worse than the C. While the ride is worse than the C, but it really isn't that much worse. I do have to say the C is quieter and feels more luxury, but I can hear the engine, something I can't do in the B.

Back