My B-Class A/C control just doesn't work

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phototrek

It just doesn't work. It shows that the AC is on when it's not, and vice versa. "Activate now" does just as little as "Stop" or whatever the button is called in its alternate state.

I have tried logging out and back in, for no avail. I tried on different iOS devices. I tried in a desktop browser. For my life I can't control the AC.

This is not the end of the world, but it adds to the overall very mixed feeling I have about this car, especially all things infotainment related being the worst I've used in the last decade - and I do come from a Sync Ford Focus...

Any ideas on how to get this to work are appreciated. I have to go to the dealer to get the rear window replaced as the defroster is damaged, but somehow I don't think that the dealer would be really motivated or even have a clue on how fix this.

Have not had issues with Climate Control on Android phone with my B-Class. Will be interesting to see if others have a problem. As with most tech gadgets, it could be multiple things. Your iPhone, the iPhone software version, the MB software corrupt, the car's software. However, despite your trepidation, it is MB's job to fix this if you are using their software. Assume the car itself is behaving like it is supposed to. This is after all the purpose of a vehicle. Operating remotely with a device clearly is not MB's forte.

Using an iPhone and experienced the same thing.

While this is less important -- but a good feature in the summer. It is critical in the winter to pre-condition while on shore power.

I have also found that you have to log out then log back in to get the car to sync. I did sent the request to the help desk.

I think there is confusion here on how the app is supposed to work. First of all, the car has to be in a place that has a Verizon signal so it can receive and transmit information. Then, you set the app to do Climate Contol On/Off but really means "Armed" or "Not Armed" at departure time. It is directly related to the time you set (pre-conditioning). I've had issues with 24h/12 hour settings but it usually works. "Use Climate Control Now" does not work AFAIK. In addition to the app, you can set the car to use the climate control when you unlock it -- Pre-Entry Climate Control (via Key) : The pre-cooling climate control function runs for up to 1 minute, the pre-heating climate control function runs for up to 5 minutes. I'm not sure if sending the unlock signal from the other app we can use (mBrace) activates the pre-entry climate control like the key does.

I love this feature and use it almost daily, but I don't have it automated. If I'm maybe 10 minutes from getting into the car I'll press the 'Use The Climate Control Now' button and it's nice and frosty when I get in, also if we are running errands around town, i'll press the button on the console when i get out to maintain the chill, seems to have just a minor effect on energy consumption, but I'm in the stores for less than 30 minutes.

I have had better consistency so far with the EVAccess app in terms of updating without having to log in and updating live. You may want to try it instead of the MB provided app.

JeffRay said:
I have had better consistency so far with the EVAccess app in terms of updating without having to log in and updating live. You may want to try it instead of the MB provided app.

Only available for android. As I pointed out, I'm on iOS.

I think there is confusion here on how the app is supposed to work. First of all, the car has to be in a place that has a Verizon signal so it can receive and transmit information. Then, you set the app to do Climate Contol On/Off but really means "Armed" or "Not Armed" at departure time. It is directly related to the time you set (pre-conditioning). I've had issues with 24h/12 hour settings but it usually works. "Use Climate Control Now" does not work AFAIK. In addition to the app, you can set the car to use the climate control when you unlock it -- Pre-Entry Climate Control (via Key) : The pre-cooling climate control function runs for up to 1 minute, the pre-heating climate control function runs for up to 5 minutes. I'm not sure if sending the unlock signal from the other app we can use (mBrace) activates the pre-entry climate control like the key does.

I did a bit of testing on my car today, with me sitting inside to see what happens. William is pretty close to 100% here. The app controls the pre-conditioning at departure time, as William indicated. However clicking on "Use Climate Control Now" changed my departure time from whatever was set to about 10 minutes later, AND looking at the E-Cell menu, it also enabled the "Rem. Climate Control At Departure Time" setting.

I will say, I had to get the car to sync before this would work (as is always the case). I logged out, then logged in again, and when I saw that the charging info was no correct, I tried setting "Use Climate Control Now". About 10-15 seconds later the car clicked, and then about another 10-15 seconds later, the "Yellow" (armed) light on the pre-entry climate control button turned on. And then perhaps another 10 seconds later, the A/C started blowing. I believe what happens here is based upon your previous settings for the A/C climate control.

According to the manual, however, this pre-entry climate control only runs for 1 minute (A/C) or 5 minutes (heating), so it might be really easy to miss.

So, other than needing to logout-login to get my car to sync up, the system worked as expected. Only thing perhaps not expected was that it doesn't run very long.

Ray

JeffRay wrote:

I have connected with the author of EVAccess, and he has been gracious enough to be willing to work with me to get started on an IOS version. I'm in the middle of updating one of my other AppStore apps, which will probably take me another week or two, and then I plan on putting some time on trying to get an external app working. Unfortunately, as you would guess, Mercedes doesn't share how to talk to their vehicles, so it is a job of reverse engineering what the current buggy app does (along with the help of what Jared has already learned in doing the Android app).

So, with luck, perhaps we'll have something in "a while", probably much quicker than Mercedes will provide.

Ray

ps: Am also planning on making it Apple Watch compatible too. (Fingers crossed)

Thank you!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a manufacturer that embraces new technology, such as VW has shown in today's Apple keynote? Then again, guessing from the user interface of the Mercedes Infotainment system, I think we're a decade or two away from that :)

rdavis0521 said:
JeffRay wrote:

I have connected with the author of EVAccess, and he has been gracious enough to be willing to work with me to get started on an IOS version. I'm in the middle of updating one of my other AppStore apps, which will probably take me another week or two, and then I plan on putting some time on trying to get an external app working. Unfortunately, as you would guess, Mercedes doesn't share how to talk to their vehicles, so it is a job of reverse engineering what the current buggy app does (along with the help of what Jared has already learned in doing the Android app).

So, with luck, perhaps we'll have something in "a while", probably much quicker than Mercedes will provide.

Ray

ps: Am also planning on making it Apple Watch compatible too. (Fingers crossed)

Very useful info for a new owner folks

I have the mbrace app that was recommended by the dealer. I dont see the A/C setting in there. Is EV Access a new app by mercedes?

jsvish said:

I have the mbrace app that was recommended by the dealer. I dont see the A/C setting in there. Is EV Access a new app by mercedes?
mBrace doesn't have this functionality. The "My B Class Electric" web app does (when it works, which it usually doesn't). EVAccess is an independent, 3rd party Android-only app.

phototrek said:
jsvish said:

mBrace doesn't have this functionality. The "My B Class Electric" web app does (when it works, which it usually doesn't). EVAccess is an independent, 3rd party Android-only app.

Thanks for the clarification phototrek... will give it a shot

Back