My range test B class, Leaf, RAV4

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie1600

I did my first range test on the B. I got the following from the 3 cars I own

Around 80F weather, AC always on 70 or 71, about 30 minutes of idling, highway at 74mph, 70% highway miles, sport mode, no conserving, just driving normal

#1 B Class 91 miles with 2% left. (extended charge)
#2 RAV4 105-110 miles the first year, now more 102-104 miles (sport mode extended range)
#3 Leaf 62 miles.

I am sure I can probably squeeze a few miles from each car, but I stopped when I saw fans stopped working or all the gauges flashing at me.

Thanks for that information. That is very helpful.

I have an i3 and was looking for something front wheel drive and with slightly better range. The i3 is good for about 80 miles if you use A/C. I have managed 95 on a single charge but that was being very sparing with A/C and was about 50% highway at 65 mph and 50 side roads/city. In similar conditions to what you describe I would be looking at about 75 miles on a charge with the i3.

So, the B-class would be a good bet for winter. Front wheel drive, snow tires and a bit better range.

One thing the RAV4 has is a way to put the AC in an ECON mode. I do run with that on that setting. The AC is icy cold on the B class. It can probably benefit from having it drop down a notch.

I did my longest drives yesterday:

Temp 85F, 80% highway at 63 mph, 20% country roads at 50 mph. Very little altitude change. A/C set at 74F. Range extended charge to 100%. Mode D.
83 miles traveled, ended at 40%.

Return trip:
Temp 91, 80% highway at 63 mph, 20% country roads at 50 mph. A/C set at 74F. Normal (not range extended) charge to 100%. Mode D.
83 miles traveled, ended at 23%.

For the round trip, efficiency indicated 3.5 m/kwh.

snowds said:
For the round trip, efficiency indicated 3.5 m/kwh.

Exceptional economy!

Your range is:

(3.5 indicated * 1.2 adjustment factor) = 4.2 miles per kWh consumption rate

4.2 * 28kWh = 117 miles range "normal charge"

4.2 * 31.5kWh = 132 miles in "extended charge"

Here's the range charg that I made for the RAV4 EV (similar to the one that I did for the LEAF).

If we can determine the miles per kWh at each speed, we can make the same chart for the Mercedes. I think 3.0 indicated is a good baseline for 65mph.

Rav4rangeChartV100_1.jpg

Back