New software update 2015070002 ?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mycrobe

I logged in to Owners Online today and happened to check the "Campaigns" button. It looks like there is a new software update:

• Start Date 2015-08-06
  • Campaign Number 2015070002

Does anyone know what this concerns?

This is a half educated guess, also a half uneducated guess.

I purchased a b class about 2 weeks ago and I still can't get the VVC to sign up for the online car owners site. I have been getting a lot of run around but no clear answers why. My sales man told me there is some issue with the website. He claims the sales manager is working with the head of MBUSA towards a resolution and to sit tight. It may be total fluff or there could be a bigger issue that has been unresolved.

I follow a lot of security sites and smart tech sites. The latest thing is that a lot of smarter cars can be hacked. Some with just a text message. I have not heard any talk of Mercedies being effected but there is very little talk of the B class anywhere.

My theory is that the B class site uses third party code in there software for some or all of the smarter features. They are working resolving the security issues in that code and that is why I can't get a VVC.

It's a theory totally unconfirmed.

My guess is the new software may address security issues if they exist.

Does the site have any release notes? They might hold some clues as to what this update addresses.

I believe MB uses open source software so the raw code is available online. Which is a good and bacd thing.

My advice would be the same for this software as my advise on any new version of software. Wait to update for a little while. Watch forums for posts from other users who have updated to see if others have issues created by the update.

Lukeetal said:
This is a half educated guess, also a half uneducated guess.

I purchased a b class about 2 weeks ago and I still can't get the VVC to sign up for the online car owners site. I have been getting a lot of run around but no clear answers why. My sales man told me there is some issue with the website. He claims the sales manager is working with the head of MBUSA towards a resolution and to sit tight. It may be total fluff or there could be a bigger issue that has been unresolved.

I follow a lot of security sites and smart tech sites. The latest thing is that a lot of smarter cars can be hacked. Some with just a text message. I have not heard any talk of Mercedies being effected but there is very little talk of the B class anywhere.

My theory is that the B class site uses third party code in there software for some or all of the smarter features. They are working resolving the security issues in that code and that is why I can't get a VVC.

It's a theory totally unconfirmed.

My guess is the new software may address security issues if they exist.

Does the site have any release notes? They might hold some clues as to what this update addresses.

I believe MB uses open source software so the raw code is available online. Which is a good and bacd thing.

My advice would be the same for this software as my advise on any new version of software. Wait to update for a little while. Watch forums for posts from other users who have updated to see if others have issues created by the update.

Sold!

It's important to have a theory, but I rather doubt this one.
M-B dealers have one other low sales model for which to deal with providing a VVC to buyers, and they don't do enough of them to all get it.
All of those things about the nature of the software may be true, but don't ascribe to malevolence what can be readily explained with incompetence.
That's all a bit harshly stated, but it took us about a week to get ours, and it seemed to be the first that our dealership had ever handled.
Once you get your VVC, it may still take you a few attempts or platforms before you're functional with the system.
A number of the menus suffer from mediocre language translation, and even when it's working you may struggle to get it to do what you think it should.
I'm very glad to have the app on my phone, however it has its certain flaws, and the last thing I'd ever believe about the status is that the dealer is trying to protect you from the insecurity of the mediocre experience that is the app demanding of the VVC...

I also bought a new one last week and I haven't been able to get myself logged in to Owners Online either. First the website wouldn't recognize the Vin and now it says that the site is down because they are migrating to something called Mercedes Me.

madcow said:
I also bought a new one last week and I haven't been able to get myself logged in to Owners Online either. First the website wouldn't recognize the Vin and now it says that the site is down because they are migrating to something called Mercedes Me.

That will be another gem, no doubt :)

And I thought my Ford Sync experience was unique and bad...

I had a similar problem with mine. The solution required a new VVC (but not before a couple of hours were wasted determining this). Once I had it, registration took literally one minute. Ask your salesman for a new one. I don't know about the s/w update . . .

mycrobe said:
I logged in to Owners Online today and happened to check the "Campaigns" button. It looks like there is a new software update:

• Start Date 2015-08-06
  • Campaign Number 2015070002

Does anyone know what this concerns?

I would like to see this location where there is a "Campaigns" button. I use the MBrace app, and the My B-Class app, and have registered and looked around the new Mercedes Me website (linked from another site that described it as "Owners Online." I haven't found a place to see "Campaigns." Can you provide some more information about this location?

Thanks.

bcurious said:
I would like to see this location where there is a "Campaigns" button. I use the MBrace app, and the My B-Class app, and have registered and looked around the new Mercedes Me website (linked from another site that described it as "Owners Online." I haven't found a place to see "Campaigns." Can you provide some more information about this location?

Thanks.

I just went to log in to Owners Online and found that the entire site has been replaced and is now called "Mercedes me". I can't find the "Campaigns" link anymore.

mycrobe said:
bcurious said:

Thanks.

I just went to log in to Owners Online and found that the entire site has been replaced and is now called "Mercedes me". I can't find the "Campaigns" link anymore.

I eventually did find something related to recall campaigns, but it seemed "filtered" for the vehicle I selected to attach to my Mercedes me account, and presented me with 0 "campaigns."

My car has been with the dealer for over 20 days straight now, over 40 for the same issue in total, and I've been told that there has been reached a critical mass of instances of the issue for which is required to initiate the production of new software to address the problem.
This may possibly be related to the new campaign that you mentioned, as your reported date coincides well with the time we were notified that the dealer opened the campaign with "corporate."
The car has always operated as if there is no problem, but displayed a warning to visit the workshop and don't drive the car.
This has been un-nerving for my wife.
Decisions loom. I will report here the unfolding events.

Back