New to Range Plus

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

So, I upgraded to a 2017 B250e with range plus after having gone without in my 2014 B-Class Electric. As this is a leased car, I have pushed the button to fully charge up the battery. In doing so, I noted some things about this:

1. Of course, I am getting longer range.

2. The car's meter hits 100% before the battery gets its extra charge. This fooled me initially.

3. The app also shows 100% but the car still charging at a certain Kwh rate. Hm.

4. However, the app did correctly estimate the time when the car would be charged to the extra range plus level.

5. So if plugged into a Chargepoint station, I use their app to see if the car is still drawing power or not.

Anyway, not that important but every extra mile is a plus especially if it is a flat rate charge by garage or Chargepoint.

I had range plus on both my 2014 and 2017. In both cars the meter only shows the 80% power. THE gom does show the added power as more range. Since my car is also leased I use the option when needed. I only use it to go to the TRW Amateur Radio Swap Meet (39 miles one way). The car does fine and I have about 25% showing on the 80% meter when I get home. It does limit power in the lower range, I think below 15% but I have only taken it that low once due to a side trip to the Lakewood Post Office to mail a package.

Usually the car gets me to where I am locally going with no problem. Except for TRW I could live without Range Plus. When I leased my 2014 it was the only car on the lot with it. Good thing I wanted white! For 2015+ they made it stock.

If you are really worried about range Tony Williams at Quick Charge Power has a 3K L3 Chademo conversion for fast charging. He sold a few hundred units for the RAV4 EV and since it is also Tesla based it works fine with the B250E. He told me that he now has 2 B's to play with.

The car is a sleeper and the deals are excellent on leases in CARB states. Mercedes really wants the credits!

Back