Next EV?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JeffRay,
The purchase price was before taxes and registration, and there was a $150 purchase option fee, plus $650 lease end fee in the contract. We had a 24 month lease, so that may be why the residual was so much higher than yours.
When we returned our 2014, the residual was pretty spot on with KBB, but this time the residual was much higher.
I tried calling MBFS, they said they couldn't (wouldn't) negotiate, and that I would need to speak with my dealer. The dealer pointed back to MBFS, and said, call them a few days before the lease is up to try to negotiate. Also threw in some BS about MB shredding the car to create demand, rather than cutting losses and selling to auction. I knew that wasn't true because a) I was watching stock piling up at west coast used car dealers, and b) it's a low-volume niche car.

But to answer your question, yes the other dealer bought it from MBFS for an undisclosed price, and sold it back to us.

Our car has: heated seats, park sensing, park pilot self-parking, rearview camera, beautiful Crystal Gray interior with black ash.
No paddles :(
No nav (prepped for the SD card)
No Harmon Kardon sound system

Good luck,
-M

Mimark,

Good job on negotiating a good deal. Dealers (from experience) don't want slow moving units piling up on their lots, especially used EV's that just keep hemorrhaging resale, and that salespeople have no incentive or motivation to sell.

Your dealer decided their first loss was likely their best loss. You got a good deal, and they got rid of a problem. Win-Win.

Oilerlord,

I thought of your post when I read that the Tesla Y had a heat pump for those chilly days and nights. Weren't you looking into fitting one into the B you own?

Such random thoughts in quiet, chill, NYC.

Take care everyone.

Hey Jeff,

I'm bringing back my VW TDI sportwagen from our place in AZ (when the border opens again, that is). Nothing like owing & driving the yin and yang of vehicles. I love both cars for different reasons.

I'm being drawn to a Tesla Model 3, Long Range + Full Self Driving capability.

These are the features I'm looking forward to:

* Increased range
Who wouldn't want that? The Long Range All-Wheel Drive version is rated at 348 miles (by Tesla). Apparently the Real Range is between 205 - 415 miles.

City - Cold Weather 270 mi
Highway - Cold Weather 205 mi
Combined - Cold Weather 235 mi

City - Mild Weather 415 mi
Highway - Mild Weather 270 mi
Combined - Mild Weather 330 mi

* Fast charging
The range of my M Class has been max 60 miles in winter and max 80 miles in summer which isn't particularly impressive. I long for a car which I can nearly double its range of with a 30 min charge.

* Tech like auto driving
This just excites me. It might well be safer too.

* Battery interoperability with home solar
I have solar panels (PV) on my home and generate more than I can reasonably use during daylight hours. I really want to be able to store the power in a battery and then use after dark or when the sun's gone in. I have heard that this is more straight forward with a Tesla but I'm not sure it's impossible with the B class. Have any of you tried it? The alternative is a Tesla Power Wall but they're only something like 16kWh batteries and the Model 3's battery is nearer to 77kWh I believe.

One of our original members in California, Dave, who was the moderator for a spell, I believe has a solar roof and charges his car using the supplied energy. Must of had a battery storage as I believe you use that to store power for dreary days. Sadly, he went to a Hyundai I think.

Hi Jeff,

JeffRay said:
One of our original members in California, Dave, who was the moderator for a spell, I believe has a solar roof and charges his car using the supplied energy.
Dreary days in Cali? Surely nothing compared to ours over here in the UK!

JeffRay said:
Must of had a battery storage as I believe you use that to store power for dreary days. Sadly, he went to a Hyundai I think.

So you don't suppose he used the car to store energy and draw from it later in his home?

I've been looking into a Zappi smart charger like the one shown in the video below which allows one to charge only when the sun shines, in eco plus mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EtegQfZQRw

However I've also been told that an EV battery can be used to store energy that can be drawn back from the car later, or when the sun goes in. Hunting for a list of cars that support this kind of use on the web but I've not found it yet!

JeffRay said:
Must of had a battery storage as I believe you use that to store power for dreary days. Sadly, he went to a Hyundai I think.

NorthEastEV said:
However I've also been told that an EV battery can be used to store energy that can be drawn back from the car later, or when the sun goes in. Hunting for a list of cars that support this kind of use on the web but I've not found it yet!

A bog standard EV is not intended to supply electrical power outside the vehicle. A significant modification would be required. The liability alone would kill the project. However, as an EV's High Voltage battery pack stores a lot of electrical power, compared with say, a home's daily demand, using the vehicle as a temporary energy storage is technically possible and attractive. There's a lot of snags, but in general unless one worked nights the vehicle would be idle when the home needs power for lighting and entertainment.

This concept is not unlike using an RV (recreational vehicle) "off-grid" while camping. Both schemes require careful energy management so as not to deplete the stored energy and becoming stranded.

There's a cadre of people reusing EV battery packs for solar electrical energy storage. Many to be found on YouTube. An EV requires a lot of electrical power for charging, so a large array of PV panels would be required. Again, the vehicle is mostly on the road during quality sunshine. Would a second battery pack be used to store energy directly from the PV array? Currently domestic PV systems are "grid-tied" to prevent back fed solar power from energizing the utility grid during an outage. Domestic PV Solar can't work in a power outage. An off grid system would allow battery storage independently of the utility grid, but that's a lot of installed plant, and not much hope of profit or even payback.

The B250e, for example, with it's small driving range would require on the order of thirty hours of charging from a domestic electrical outlet (at least in the USA with a 120V 20A energy limit) Perhaps half that on single-phase AC in EU, even less time on three-phase AC available in some EU locations.

To go solar that's 120 * 20 = 2400W. Domestic PV panels generate 150 watts to 370 watts per panel in full sun, so you'll need about sixteen. Domestic PV panels are about 1.5 m^2 (or 17 sq feet)

Interesting discussion, but I'm out...

Peter,

Test drove a 2020 Mini Electric the other day just for giggles. It is VERY quick, has one pedal driving, and can be had with lots of little bells and whistles (head up, pano roof, folding mirrors, GREAT leather seats). And it's a blast to drive. Range should be around 125. If you want a small runaround that's fun to drive, you might want to check it out.

https://www.miniusa.com/model/electric-hardtop.html

PatricioEV said:
Test drove a 2020 Mini Electric the other day just for giggles. It is VERY quick, has one pedal driving
Not sure what "one pedal driving" means - lifting off the accelerator slows it down due to regen braking?

Looks like it has a 32.6 kWh High Voltage Battery Pack. Good to see it has both AC (L1/L2) and Fast DC charging (L3) From the page that you linked:

LEVEL 1
BASIC HOME AC CHARGING
LESS THAN 2KW
2% PER HOUR

LEVEL 2
HOME / PUBLIC AC CHARGING
UP TO 7.4KW
20% PER HOUR

LEVEL 3
FAST DC CHARGING STATION
UP TO 50KW
UP TO 80% IN 36 MIN

This could be a game changer! I see the Mini on our local roads (back when they let me leave our home...) Don't think I noticed if any where EVs.

Peter,

PatricioEV,

Thanks for posting. Nice upgrade to our B250e, albeit with less useful rear seats. Plus the net price with incentives is like wowzah.

I have high schoolers in the household who have no interest in learning to drive so I am looking for 4 door roomy rear seats like the Volvo XC40e, which of course costs more than the MiniCooper.

Now in Phase 2 in NY state and city, I have been driving my B250e to office again. It really is a full feature car and I will miss it after I turn it in at the end of the lease in September. Six years and two leases later. I am not getting any traction from my dealer to buy the car from MBFS and flip it to me. I may try another dealer. Still, maybe best to wait and hold out for the next generation electric that has the room and a little longer range.

Was looking at the Volvo XC40R which looks to be like our B250e in terms of size. Maybe lease that puppy?

Happy 4th to all those in the US.

Back