Possible official EPA rating

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevepl

An article today pointed to this comparison page on the EPA website which seems to be official MPGe and range ratings.

Here's the link to the EPA site.

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35207&id=35247&id=34699&id=34775

This is very disappointing. The confident statements by Mercedes staff now sound like the early exaggerations of Nissan LEAF sales staff's 100mi range assertions. The EPA number they give for the LEAF is very close to the range I got with my LEAF (before the battery degraded), so I believe this is the realistic range for a typical driver of the B-Class.

The range extender will help by making the total difference 20miles, but the in-efficiency (30% less efficient than LEAF) rubs me the wrong way.

I like the 104-miles range with the Range Package, but I am disappointed in the MPGe of 84. I guess it should have been expected when converting a fossil-fuels car to a BEV. I still want to test drive it to help decide whether to lease it or another LEAF in May 2015.

A couple interesting points that were brought up on InsideEVs:

1. The Rav4 EV (also Tesla powered) has efficiency ratings of 76 MPGe combined (78 city/74 highway) and owners seem to be thrilled with it (mind you there are plenty of thrilled gas guzzler owners all over the place)

2. The EPA tested the non range-extended version, which means the test vehicle has a 36 kWh battery pack with only 28 kWh usable, which would affect the results

Not surprising at all, really.

A) The RAV4EV has proven to have excellent range, well over 100 miles, and THIS is what thrills people. They could not care less about MPGe for the most part.
B) The Range option on the MB is not going to add nearly enough to get it even close to 100 miles on the EPA cycle... With no QC capability, it is doubly disappointing.

marta said:
A couple interesting points that were brought up on InsideEVs:
1. The Rav4 EV (also Tesla powered) has efficiency ratings of 76 MPGe combined (78 city/74 highway) and owners seem to be thrilled with it (mind you there are plenty of thrilled gas guzzler owners all over the place)
2. The EPA tested the non range-extended version, which means the test vehicle has a 36 kWh battery pack with only 28 kWh usable, which would affect the results

I have seen several places where people say Mercedes is very good at estimating what the EPA ratings will be. They stated that the Range Package adds 17 miles, so perhaps that is correct. They originally stated that the standard configuration would be 85 miles and then upped it to 87 miles. So, the Range Package may be 104 miles.

Still unimpressive for a car with a 36Kwh battery... The RAV4EV has 40Kwh and does proportionately much better, and it is heavier and less aerodynamic...

Here is a EPA comparison sheet of the vehicles in question:

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34425&id=34699&id=35247&id=35207

roperld said:
I have seen several places where people say Mercedes is very good at estimating what the EPA ratings will be. They stated that the Range Package adds 17 miles, so perhaps that is correct. They originally stated that the standard configuration would be 85 miles and then upped it to 87 miles. So, the Range Package may be 104 miles.

tomt said:
Still unimpressive for a car with a 36Kwh battery... The RAV4EV has 40Kwh and does proportionately much better, and it is heavier and less aerodynamic...

Here is a EPA comparison sheet of the vehicles in question:

http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34425&id=34699&id=35247&id=35207

The full 36kWh of battery is only used when the optional 'range package' is purchased, which allows 17 extra miles for a total of 104. 104 miles range for 36kWh vs 104 miles from 40kWh for the Rav4 seems to me like the B-Class is impressive.

Am I missing something?

A few things...

First, real world range. The RAV4EV typically gets well beyond the EPA rated range. Most RAV owners plan on 125 miles and easily achieve it without hypermiling. I borrow a friends from time to time and even driving the hell out of it have never been below the 120s. Who knows what the MB's real range will be...

Second, the MB is considerably lighter, and has a much lower CD and total drag figure, with a higher MPGe rating. It should be turning in better numbers in comparison...

Third, making the full battery capacity an option was a bone-headed move and places the MB in an uncompetitive light. I can't imagine what MB marketing was thinking! No other EV does this.

marta said:
The full 36kWh of battery is only used when the optional 'range package' is purchased, which allows 17 extra miles for a total of 104. 104 miles range for 36kWh vs 104 miles from 40kWh for the Rav4 seems to me like the B-Class is impressive. Am I missing something?

Back