Proper care of a leased car

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

So the MB Be is the first car I have leased. Previously, I have bought and owned with objective of keeping for 10 years. The deal I got with MB Be effectively wiped out the drive out the door loss but I am hoping for better range cars 3 years from now. They are going to get a low mileage car back as I will likely only put less than 5000 miles per year on it.

The question is proper care for a leased car that I plan to turn in. I did put film on the bumpers as I park on the street and they will get nicked. No rubber floor mats even in the winter. No better hubcaps. No softer non-run flat tires. No fancy chrome trim. Am I overreacting to owning a car for only 36 months? Will I miss out on the fun of spending money on this vehicle. I know it is a matter of what one wants but I wonder what other people who lease think.

Hi Jeff,
I appreciate your comments, I too am leasing and I commute to NYC. My previous personal vehicles have always been purchased Toyotas -- and the goal was to make them last and drive them 100k+ miles! Of course there was always a good return on investment. The B-Class is different, it's what I wanted for now but three years from now the BEV landscape should be vastly different. I dream of the Model X. I was in the BMW ActiveE program -- I had that car 7 months. So I knew what I was getting into.. Here's what I have planned: No rubber floor mats -- I'm just going to wet clean the carpets every spring. Tires: I'm going to run the OEM tires for the first 9 months, then switch to Nokian All-Weather WR A3 run flat tires for 27 months, then put the OEM tires back on before turning it in. The Nokian tires are $264 each but are the best tire brand in the world. I was thinking about a winter specific tire and wheel package -- it was going to be $2k instead of $1k. That would have the ultra grippy Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 run flat tires with compatible Mercedes C-Class wheels. Also I almost considered the B-Class roof rack, but I thought it might hurt my range from Nyack, NY to SoHo. They are avail on eBay for $255. How much was the bumper film and where did you have it done?

Hey WTZ,

Whew, I thought I had gone off into forum hyperspace with my post. On the tires, do they ride softer or just perform better in all weather conditions? Since I only dare to drive locally, I am not too worried about all weather performance. On the film, I was "convinced" by the finance guy hawking add ons to sign up for the bumper and rim protection plan which added $40 per month. Call me stupid but driving in NYC, I had to replace two rims over the years which were not covered by warranty and insurance. So the dealer had someone put on the film right after I took delivery. It is the invisible type, not noticeable if you are not looking at it. Yeah, I was thinking about the spring and the possible utility of a bike rack and of course with the slush, care of the mats.

Nyack to Soho. I grew up in Irvington and live near Soho. I assume you have a place to top up in NYC as I don't see you at the Manhattan dealer for charging, free continental breakfast, and shuttle to work. I charge up at the ChargePoint on Spring Street off of Varick. I will look for another MB-Be and assume it is you.

My salesman told me the tires don't have to be much left at turn in as long as they are driveable. MB plans on replacing them, and the floor mats, when reconditioning. Wheels are more likely to get chewed up from pot holes or curbs but the bumper and hood and headlight protection film might be a good idea. You probably will not make 30,000 miles on one set of tires so you might as well buy snows and have them changed over at any tire shop. Snows plus the original tires should easily get you to 36,000 miles with enough left to turn in.
PS. My dealer in Syracuse has 3 B class we are dying to get rid of if you know anyone else that might want one.

Sendler 2112 what do you think If I am changing to winter rubber do I go with Nokian All-Weather WR A3 and drive them for 2.5 years or switch to Hakkapeliitta Rs for winter-only 2015, winter-only 2016, and 1st half winter 2017? That's a lot on on/off and then the all-seasons back on for lease turn in Dec 31st 2017... All run flat, hoping for better grip on snow/ice.

Go for the full on snows so you are safe. This is a heavy car to bring to a halt on ice. Change over is $100 and includes the $50 rotate and balance twice a year that you need anyway and extends the life of the summers which won't make it to 30,000 anyway. Some tire stores may do the changeover free with the purchase if they can get the tire that you want. Modern high end snows have none of the noise and handling issues of the past. Just that they wear out quickly in hot weather.

Hi JeffRay -- yes I basically pass within a block of your car every time I commute! (I make the left on King Street off Varick) I've been parking at Edison ParkFast at 375 Lafayette. They are great about charging. But a few times I have done the round trip from Nyack with street parking and extended charge -- I end up at home with 31% SOC left. Mine is Silver with the older (white) NY plates... Do you manage to keep your car on the street 24/7 even with parking restrictions?

Great info on snow tires all. I leased with 8K annual limit and do not project to put on more than 6K per year so I will likely just go with what they gave us and turn it in at lease end.

I do park on the street mostly overnight but sometimes leave it there during day, particularly weekends. I use car during week to take kids to/from school and me to/from midtown office. My excuse is that I reached my lifetime limit on subways plus now with a clean car. Overnight, I park either in ParkFast if I need a charge or in front of residence overnight if there is a spot. Normally no one charging overnight but sometimes a BMW charging during day. Mine is black with the white Clean Pass stickers.

Look for you in the a.m. as I pass by your lot weekday mornings to drop kids off at school.

Curious, are the Clean Pass stickers for the LIE only? I have a Green EZ Pass which gives me half price tolls on all NY-NJ Bridges and Tunnels. Also Verazzano Narrows I think. Anyway I pay $6.25 at the GWB.....

The temps were 41 degrees at 2 pm today and I got the best efficiency so far, 2.7 mpkWh on the display, so like 102 mile range on extended charge! That was in E+ and minimal heat. (It was still on, just low 68 degrees driver, 64 degrees passenger ZONE setting, Fan on 2, no A/C.) I love the car. E+ and conservative on the way in to NYC -- 10 minutes of number to number on the GWB, , and regular E on the way home, with all the accessories (Heat) I want. 60 miles traveled. 35% charge remaining. I use extended range charge 3-4 times a week. I'll look for your Black B-Class, mine needs a car wash so bad!

The Clean Pass stickers are free but only for the LIE. We have an office out in Melville so useful for my biweekly trip out there as a single. I almost feel guilty speeding along in HOV alone.

Funny you should say that about your car. My daughter asked me the same thing, when am I going to wash the car. I think she is either embarrassed to get into a dirty car or afraid to get her coat dirty. Washing mine this weekend. The lines were too long with limos and taxis.

I am still getting my crummy 1.2 mpKwH in city stop and go. I have actually gone out of my way to get on the West Side Highway or FDR to extend range. Glad to hear that it is working for your daily commute.

Beep if you see a dirty black MB Be drive by. It will be mine.

Funny I'm sure I'll see you in NYC. What is the procedure for getting the Clean Pass sticker?
Do I ask through the EZ Pass customer service? If it is free....... I wouldn't mind having one on a silver car.

Google Clean Pass NYS and you will find the website where you just have to provide name, rank, serial number of you and the car and it is mailed to you. No charge. You get four stickers, two large ones one for front and one for back and two smaller ones for the rear of each side.

I got the car washed today as there was no line at the 12th Avenue car wash. Then drove to dealer to charge up. Was told by someone who works there that I could ask them to wash it when I charge it there. Who knew?

I wonder if they would extend the courtesy to someone who didn't buy a B-Class ED at their dealership?
(Free charging I mean) I've never actually been to M-B Manhattan, didn't they move from the Lincoln tunnel entrance?

Oh and thanks for the Clean Pass info!

WTZ, my understanding is that all MB dealers are to provide free charging. This one indeed moved to 53/54 and Tenth Avenue. No appointment, just roll in. Free coffee and snacks. Free courtesy ride to Soho. Now I understand free car wash. Of course, today, they have ONE charger so if there is a black car charging, no jumping the line!

You've offered great information! -- Thanks! I might drop in to M-B Manhattan and introduce myself on Saturday -- my wife and I need to go over to Pier 92 for an hour for the Westminster Norwich Terriers pre-judging (preliminaries) . We are going to Westminster at MSG this year for fun..

I'm happily getting 72-80 miles of range on extended charge, even with the ridiculous temps. I travel 58 miles total and obviously there isn't much extra when I get home -- 20-30% SOC. I don't like to cut it too close. But from what I understand the BMW i3 BEV would not have fared as well with the 24 kW battery even though it is 1250 lbs lighter. And the i3 with range extender/generator is just not the way to go IMO. I've seen/heard YouTube video of the range extended engine running and it seems embarrassingly loud. I love what M-B did with this car and from what I understand they are going to make a bunch of PHEVs in the next three years.-- If they could make a 2nd generation of this B-Class ED I think I would be thrilled even with 50% more battery and maybe quick charge capability. The fit and finish are amazing.

There should be no problem dropping in on Saturday. I am not sure they have a courtesy driver on weekends but you can always ask. Pier 92 is a couple of really cold blocks away. Bundle up.

Did I mention that there is no charge for parking there while you are at Pier 92.

Back