Range Mode - what is it?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klaus

I've seen a few places that talk about a 'range mode' offer for the Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive, but what is it exactly, and how does it work?

I know we don't have any pricing information yet, but do we know how much the range mode option costs? I got the impression it wasn't something that came on all 2014 B-Class Electric Drive?

FV_Asset_B-Class@768x768.jpg

Range mode can be selected before charging, and in doing so, like in the Tesla Model S, you'll have more of the battery pack available. Mercedes is saying the overall range of the B-Class EV will be increased by about 15%.

I'm not sure about pricing info, I don't think anyone knows any prices for the EV yet, it's all been speculation.

Just found this interesting comparison that estimates the 'range mode' range in the B-Class Electric could be as much as 126 miles!

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=364092#p364092

I might consider this car. Based on the recent revelations about the battery, here's my guess:

Mercedes B-Class ED battery

36.0kWh total – 100% SOC
33.2kWh usable- 95.0% SOC
28.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC
1.0kWh unusable- 2.7% SOC

Rav4 EV with Tesla drivetrain:

45.0kWh total – 100% SOC
41.8kWh usable- 95.1% SOC = [( 41.8 + 1.0) / 45]
35.0kWh usable- 80.0% SOC = [( 35.0 + 1.0) / 45]
1.0kWh unusable- 2.2% SOC = [1.0) / 45]

Range at 65mph (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F:

B-Class ED - 3.8 miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) * 33.2kWh = 126 miles

Rav4 EV - 3.4 miles per kWh (295 wattHours per mile) * 41.8kWh = 142 miles

LEAF - 4 miles per kWh (250 wattHours per miles) * 21.38kWh = 85.5 miles

The Range Package (option P58) comes with a heated windshield, range button (for extended range - approx 15% increase) and additional isolation of doors and roof (which I'm not sure what that means. Did they increase the rubber gasket to limit external bumps on the vehicle?).

Of course, no pricing options yet, but that indicates to me the range button will not be available on all of the B-Class Electric Drive vehicles they build.

That is correct - the Range Mode is an add-on feature, but it will be money-in-the-bank at resale time I would imagine... and I predict most of the B-Class sales will have that option added.

How odd that they made it optional. It is only a software change (charge to 100% [extended] rather than to 80% [standard]) so it really costs them nothing to add and yet it adds a significant marketing advantage in terms of range... Why not just make it a standard feature like all other Tesla based vehicles...

mitchev said:
That is correct - the Range Mode is an add-on feature, but it will be money-in-the-bank at resale time I would imagine... and I predict most of the B-Class sales will have that option added.

marta said:
The Range Package (option P58) comes with a heated windshield, range button (for extended range - approx 15% increase) and additional isolation of doors and roof (which I'm not sure what that means. Did they increase the rubber gasket to limit external bumps on the vehicle?).

Of course, no pricing options yet, but that indicates to me the range button will not be available on all of the B-Class Electric Drive vehicles they build.

This “range button” in the “middle counsel” sounds just like the same button on the LEAF.

It will bypass the normal 80% charge for a “100%” charge. Here’s my guess:

Range estimate based on steady 65mph indicated (100km ground speed) on dry, hard surface level road with no wind or cabin climate control with new condition battery at 70F.

36.0kWh total – 100% SOC - rated capacity, not available

33.2kWh usable @ 3.8 miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) = 126 miles (this is a full, or extended, or "range" charge)

28.0kWh usable @ 3.8 miles per kWh (263 wattHours per mile) = 106.4 miles (this is a "normal" charge)

Heated windshields, better heaters, etc, DO NOT INCREASE RANGE. They reduced the amount of range reduction from cold weather and energy used to counter cold weather effects.

So, to be clear, if your range is 126 miles today at 70F / 20C degrees with no heater use, the range when it’s cold will be LESS in otherwise identical conditions. Whatever that reduction is can be mitigated with battery heating, heated seats, steering wheel, and windscreen, and a proper heat pump cabin heater. The range, however, will not go above 126 miles, all other things besides temperature remaining equal.

Temperature Management System (TMS), of course, will be included just like every other Tesla powered vehicle produced.

TonyWilliams said:
Heated windshields, better heaters, etc, DO NOT INCREASE RANGE. They reduced the amount of range reduction from cold weather and energy used to counter cold weather effects.

So, to be clear, if your range is 126 miles today at 70F / 20C degrees with no heater use, the range when it’s cold will be LESS in otherwise identical conditions. Whatever that reduction is can be mitigated with battery heating, heated seats, steering wheel, and windscreen, and a proper heat pump cabin heater. The range, however, will not go above 126 miles, all other things besides temperature remaining equal.

Temperature Management System (TMS), of course, will be included just like every other Tesla powered vehicle produced.

Thanks for chiming in, Tony! I'd never thought of it like this before, but I have to totally agree.
A higher CofD would increase efficiency, but heating a windshield doesn't do anything except to allow heating to be more efficiently used - thus limiting loss of EV range versus actually increasing it.

Could Mercedes be playing trickery and actually mean that a 'range' extension is just an extension of possible range when in cold weather? That would be a pretty bad marketing idea - almost as bad as the poolside ELR ad :)

I assume you actually mean a lower coefficient of drag... Though CD in and of itself is not nearly as important as total drag which is frontal area times CD...

mitchev said:
A higher CofD would increase efficiency, but heating a windshield doesn't do anything except to allow heating to be more efficiently used - thus limiting loss of EV range versus actually increasing it.

I can say from the 4 days I had the car, can follow my issues in another post, I would be very surprised if anyone got anything appreciable over 100 miles including range extender.

Back