Results of my bargain shopping

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlights

I spent the past week looking to get a bargain on a 2014. I'm in the SF bay area and the supply was quickly diminishing. I had to expand my search and ended up purchasing from a dealer in NY.

MSRP $49,670 dealer knocked it down to $37,000. I'll have to pay about $1k for shipping it across the country, but will still be eligible for $2500 CA rebate and $7500 federal come tax time next year.

Buying or leasing? See if the dealer will pay from the transfer to the west coast, it sounds like a great deal.

Range package or no range package?

-William

Range package not really a big deal above 45 degree temps, but extended range is always good. If you are buying you could modify your car to have DC Fast Charge (JdeMo) from quickchargepower.com and that would charge to the extended range value. The mod is like $2500 (for the RAV4 EV).

The battery over the course of ownership will degrade less and will last longer since you are not charging to the higher 90% SOC on the battery

(Regular charge 100% SOC = 80% charge on the battery)

Thanks for the tip about the DC fast charger. I didn't know that was an option. Range package is not valuable to me because I have a very consistent daily usage pattern that is well within the range, and have a second car that is gasoline as a backup - that is actually why I sought out a 2014 - the vehicles without the range package seemed to be in lower demand which I figured would help when I was negotiating price.

I assume you are buying the 2014 BCED as opposed to leasing.

What are the pros of buying a BCED?
Or why did you decide to buy?

I thought it was a no-brainer to lease an electric car, because of rapidly evolving technology and potentially a decrease in battery capacity (either decaying naturally or because future EVs will offer a much higher range). Also EVs are just filled with electronics with more likelihood to exhibit a defect than the basic mechanics in a regular car.

On the other hand, selling the BCED you own after 3 years may put you in a better position than returning the same car to the dealership, if you had leased it. What is your take on that?

25% off MSRP is pretty darn good. Congrats. If anyone else wants a 2014, there is a blue one like the one above sitting on the showroom floor at Manhattan MB since last fall. Someone should snag it. No range option.

I know leasing is very popular with Electric Vehicles and I understand why, but for me buying seemed to make more sense (certainly when I got this deal for $12k under MSRP + $10k tax rebate). I don't really value having a new car all that much (my previous car is 12 years old) so I plan to keep this for at least 8 years (the length of the battery warranty). Even if the battery degrades a fair amount and there are technology results in better/cheaper electric vehicles available in 3 years, I don't think that will matter much to me as my driving is a pretty consistent 40 miles a day -- as long as I can get that out of this battery I'm good.

Just signed the papers on 2014 B-class lease; Vehicle is coming from MB Walnut Creek, CA to Southern California.

$272/Month for 36 months with 15K miles/year; $1500 down; I was told that I am eligible for $2500 rebate from CA.

The vehicle has performance and multi-media packages. Seems like a good deal!!?

seaguls99 said:
Just signed the papers on 2014 B-class lease; Vehicle is coming from MB Walnut Creek, CA to Southern California.
$272/Month for 36 months with 15K miles/year; $1500 down; I was told that I am eligible for $2500 rebate from CA.

Sounds like a great deal! Which dealership in S. Cal did you go to?

I got the deal arranged by a whole sale dealer ( LA Auto Store) that arranged the paper work from MB Walnut Creek. Feel free to contact : 424-230-6042 in Van Nuys

Back