San Diego to Palm Springs

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

Has anyone ever gone over 120 miles? I'm going from San Diego to Palm Springs in the next few weeks, and was wondering if it would be worth trying to bring the Mercedes. I'm thinking not, but the dealer did get a 107 mile trip with my car when testing.

Capture-TriptoPalmSprings.PNG

If you stop for a snack / coffee along the way and charge for an hour, it should be ok. Drive 55-60mph in the truck lane.

Use cruise control. No heater (just seat heaters). Air conditioning is OK.

We were just in Palm Springs this past weekend. Lots of places to plug in.

I checked plugshare, and didn't see any good chargers near the middle of the route. Also, I'll have the kids with me, so adding an extra hour to the travel time might be an issue.

I've not actually been there, but there are several Temecula stations listed. A few at town hall area, which are listed as free. But, there is also a MB dealership there too. 40910 Temecula Center Drive Temecula, CA 92591

Ray

I'm not comfortable with trying this trip with the B-Class. When I got the B, I almost got a Rav4, and this might be the one time when it would be a better vehicle. I still haven't sold my other car (2003 Pilot), because of the range and space of the B. Just an observation.

Ferdball said:
I'm not comfortable with trying this trip with the B-Class. When I got the B, I almost got a Rav4, and this might be the one time when it would be a better vehicle. I still haven't sold my other car (2003 Pilot), because of the range and space of the B. Just an observation.

If you're not comfortable, don't do it.

But 107 miles at 55mph is possible. The charge in Temecula is to give you a safety margin.

There are numerous places to charge in Temecula, plus you have a JESLA. You can pug in at the numerous RV Parks enroute.

Since I still have the Pilot, I'm not going to try. But its good to explore the idea for when I really "commit." I'm hoping to have two EV's in the family in the near future.

There are loads of free Clipper Creek charge stations throughout Palm Springs, in addition to loads of NEMA 14-50 outlets for a JESLA.

JLong would have saved the day, even at this location.

EV driving is a game of being prepared until the infrastructure is ubiquitous.

Back