Snow Tires/Wheels

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwarcd

I recently purchased show tires and wheels for my B-Class and wanted to share some of the things I learned. Usually my first stop for snow tires is Tire Rack but on their website when you select the B-Class ED it won't allow you to select any snow tire/wheel packages. I called Tire Rack and they said that they didn't have access to a B-Class to try any tire/wheel packages so they couldn't recommend any packages for that car at this time.

So, after finding out the correct wheel size (7Jx17H2 ET: 48mm) and tire size (225/50 R17 94H) for the B-Class ED:

http://www.mercedes-benz.de/content...-Single-MEDIA.tmp/B-Klasse_Typ_242_151028.pdf

I went back to the Tire Rack web site and tried selecting different Mercedes vehicles to find one that had the same wheel size as the B-Class ED. I found that if I selected a "2014 MERCEDES-BENZ C250 SEDAN LUXURY". I could select a 7"x17" wheel with an offset of 48mm. I pick the Rial P10 Wheel:

image.php

Since the recommenced tire size for the C250 is (225/45 R17) I needed to search for the correct size (225/50 R17) and add those tires. I went with the Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c tires since they are one of the few "Low Rolling Resistance" snow tires and I had a good experience with them on my Nissan Leaf. I hit the purchase button and waited for the ship notification... Within a few hours I got an email from Tire Rack that I had selected a tire size that wasn't the recommended tire size for the C250. Oh No! they caught me! I explained to them that the tires/wheels were actually for a B-Class ED and after after a lot of assurances on my part that I would have the dealer install the wheels to make sure they fit, and I was OK with their return policy if they didn't fit, he approved the order.

I received and installed the wheels yesterday and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I installed the wheels myself and checked the fitment and everything looked good, plenty of clearance, equal to the OEM wheels.

CSjvVv1KF9BbcDdReU19dRe1mhWUnx2o1JrZdiI0vXN7PMNvUpWSSwoFvThCZBpuYQV6w-8whw-9x1KFpzXRiybI4MWYOCv7RNlCwaLnL0_uCIrWebtmqzeO3ujAH654i2kD0KLJMM1KZIPoa_UKr6ZVLr_X5dxLWCtQbZQbKM0bzbAexY32lbYp3OreUAH8v9VXp_7ThIeXjtZaaj4IlBfwFeh0vYYnnGmCCt_JJqjUbp9C0QqLFjwX_8XOgpPt3NTH7gXsK1OFuPZO47WOsecpXm-545Wnm-80ucn7QJevTwgNy1I6qkv_xWnprQiklA82NKNIkboDb-P-3GETWcppAa1e_x4-D9arsrVOkY20vP0pDIsdkpSGxae7dYI4AQ6EGIE--mWVUNbOa2E3JZaJuNSGs_Hdnd9rsFLNkmrZ24R5a8C10oINdvdJx4XrsrkV1fF5ENTqcHKLzlp57mBUwAwTXmTK8XkKWrF5yC57glN1VHOaiOxW0r43Crd5Ppv0xIWUPmqu1XOpJPlqZzSx-FL4-PgM103gp1oo2Yc=w1178-h883-no

6tRwAcj5VIsiZ_upgCdjcbyL2a5X4TlP9Kc7pFWsdKCsZUOhy9OI73O4klP52EXYAodSl-G_jvEkQNaJvuFKVYPLWhV5QSTJ116FVW4wOqpxr397Nf4b_ASlGvg0VSHMvAcxS51nCbsTxUQy8MuYHIqFivSLn3TKVDdPxVcIbEJVH4cjZwggGvA-qv6O2sqEFVxVYq1XU7V_LJOR56gXANchNBLOAs8XUro_sSaon3jDQbwiGb1Xg372kUmFnNmH39zrzCz05NrsBOCfFFBvsQ-asvAsiBE0YBq_F9HO5TK4GZHbrCaeFBMr7vZZmZjW9fzzNaHRHmNkdH23UJBdo00doiShr0ElR92eYeXKl5SX8Cgg5qJQ--wIbVAKnhe1r6IEUw_IzGuOETPhCHOhYGX1UUb6Q879Jz161PWPbebGzlWGxhoQdb4Pe1BA3f74gapglJSqsbWEYNedLBtJS8mPht6olXGhYUvs-pxk83HIUFBj_yLh0Jgoo4XWOzYlq3kHYgBdI0SMAYqcdHwdPy1fc44BKVbuaDz6GZyTp9s=w1181-h883-no

JW, great post, looks good. Approximately, how much are we talking about including mounting on original rims? I went through last winter and found the OEM did not track or stop well in a couple of inches. I can always borrow my wife's AWD but just curious.

This was what Tire Rack charged:

17X7 RIAL P10 BRIGHT SILVER --- 4x$125.00 = $500.00
225/50R-17 YOKOHAMA ICEGUARD IG52C --- 4x$134.20= $536.80

Total $1,036.80 plus about $117 shipping.

Wow, affordable even for leased car. I will scout around locally for a TireRack or similar. Thanks. I do want to drive the Be this winter even though my mileage goes down as low as 30 miles on a full charge. This year, I will be able to park overnight indoors and get a top up charge overnight AND at work. That hopefully will keep me rollin'

Do the TMPS sensors work with this set up? Don't ask me what this means but I think it is tire pressure?

It doesn't sound like you had the Tire Rack install TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) sensors during their assembly. Is that correct?
Is it easy to live with the warnings from the system?
I'm in the process now of putting together a winter wheel/tire package and I want to make sure that I keep the TPMS system function intact.
Many other Mercedes-Benz owners report perfect function with some aftermarket sensors, but many of the sites offering them don't seem to have b-class information regarding fitment. A part number from the original part on a b-class wheel would probably help us to cross-ref a model that more suppliers understand.
What information has our group here got about this?

I didn't get the sensors, they are $50/wheel if you want them. It shows a warning message about not detecting the sensors a few minutes after you start driving, and the indicator light on the instrument cluster stays on.

I don't don't find it too annoying, but I'm used to it because my other cars don't have the sensors either.

This car seems to share an awful lot of parts with the CLA. I would think a lot of the monitoring systems are similar too. I'd be shocked if the TPMS sensors were different. That said, I have not seen part numbers and don't have any specific knowledge to back that up.

Thanks jwarcd and camaroguy. There are a lot of sensors out there, and I'm sure this isn't hard to do.
I wish I knew of a resource for MB parts like those I know for some other euro vehicles.
For instance, if I had an i3, I'd just go here:
hmm...let's see here, item 6?
Then, I'd pop the part number into google, and bob's your uncle.

This is our first MB, perhaps I just don't know of the right resource online.

-edit-

Tonight I've found that the right resource is a subscription account to the EPConline system.
The listed part number for the TPMS sensor, appropriate for the B-Class from Chassis J001756 and upward, is A 000 905 00 30.
The receiving unit on the car, which I just happened to encounter while searching for the sensors, is A 000 900 8402 Q01.
These are the 433+ MHz frequency equipment.

I have driven exclusively BMW for many years. I use that site extensively as well. I also know of a few really good places to get OEM BMW parts online.

So far I have not found a place to get the sort of detailed parts information that REALOEM provides, for a Mercedes. There does appear to be a number of dealers online that provide parts catalog lookup, but none of the ones I have found support the B-Class :(

By the way, jwarcd, the new shoes look good.
I'm going to go with 215/55R17s myself in order to be able to use my new wheels on both the B and my older Audi with just a center cap and hub ring change.

The stock B-class tire looks to be fairly pricey, so I'd prefer to spread the wear across those stock tires and a winter set that I can keep for myself after turning in the leased B, and not have to spring for tires to turn it in.

A bunch of Canadians with petro-power B-Class vehicles have posted photos of their cars online with winter feet, on another forum, but likewise their mail order houses have handled the sensors for them.

I am handy but not that handy so having my non-dealer MB mechanic handle ordering tires, rims, and TPMS doodads. He will install and likely store my OEMS. His hourly rate is significantly less than the dealer. Not worried about wear on OEMs as I drove less than 4K miles in last 12 months. Just want better traction when it snows.

Update: I talked to my mechanic and he suggested just ordering the tires so they can mount on OEM rims and TPMS. He will also store the tires for me. Saved me some money. I ordered the Michelins for a little more as they are higher rated and still green. Not run-flats but I have a compressor and drive mainly within city confines.

TireRack delivered four Michelin 225/50R17 X-ICE 98H XL to my mechanic. He just mounted them for $25 apiece and is storing my OEMs at his shop. The tires sure don't look like my dad's big old snow tires that he mounted on his Lincoln. He also had studs when they were legal.

The thing I noticed right away was the softer ride compared to the OEMs. Of course, it is 60 degrees today. They are not run flats so the tire is less rigid/hard. Will see how they do before snow hits, may just keep them on. Had one nail in tire in first year but now have an air compressor.

Thanks to jwarcd's posting telling us that the B-Class electric shares the same wheel size as the C-class. Based on this,
I found a good deal on a set of 17x7 48.5 mm offset wheels intended for a C-Class on eBay (the eBay listing
appears as "OEM Winter Wheel Mercedes Benz C Class 17x7 Front A2054015600 85444;" these seem to be frequently
marked down to $99/each, with free shipping. I've got no affiliation with the seller - I'm just a satisfied buyer).
Note that these wheels did allow use of the original M-B wheel centers.

I used these with a set of 225/50R-17 BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAK WS80 SL from the TireRack ($141 each, NOT run flats), and a set of
Mobiletron TX-5033 TPMS valve stems ($81 for four on amazon.com). My local tire installation shop, that TireRack
recommended and shipped to, installed all these today @ $30 per wheel. From my first driving impressions thus far, the
combination is working great. In particular, the TPMS I had my doubts about, but they proved compatible. While I'm a little
early in the year to mount winter tires, I feel I'm ready for snow if it does come early.

'Hope these ideas prove useful to others.

Back