Thump! Complete Loss of Power on Freeway. Went into Neutral

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they would actually give the software revision number information to the owners -- that way we could be aware of

a. what software our cars are currently flashed with

b. what the software revision coming in December is called that fixes the problem.

Also maybe we could be helpful because maybe it is a motor/gateway issue that only applies to some motors in combination with some software versions?
(It would be helpful to know the motor serial number too.)

Apple is pretty transparent about software versions and bug fixes, as is Tesla. Version 1.2, 1.3 etc. What's the big deal? (It's just a number!)
It's not like we are asking for the code! Also, is there any way for the owner to see what software we are running right now? I have a 2014 model with a software revision I had done in June 2015.

Update: Happened again after they replaced the PTCU-GW (powertrain control unit gateway) and updated a few software modules! Just dropped it off again, hoping MB USA will buy mine back at this point. Will be hitting 30 days of shoptime in 8 days.

If you look at the recall notice the software "fix" isn't ready until December 1st. So if I were you -- and your car continues to have the problem, ask for an extended loaner car (30 days) and keep the miles off your B-Class ED.

RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

SEARCH YOU CAR BY VIN#

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

From the recall site:

Year: 2014 Make: Mercedes-Benz Model: B ED
Number of Open Recalls: 1
NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> 15V655 Recall Date: December 1, 2015
Manufacturer Recall Number: 2015100005
SUMMARY:
DAG has determined that in rare cases on certain B-Class electric drive vehicles (242 platform) the powertrain gateway control unit might send an incorrect signal for a very short duration concerning the status of the high voltage contactor. Should this occur, the vehicle would react to this signal by immediately powering down the electric powertrain unit. As a consequence, the propulsion power would be lost, temporarily immobilizing the vehicle. In such a case, the vehicle can be restarted using the ignition key.
SAFETY RISK:
A loss of propulsion power could increase the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
An authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer will update the powertrain gateway software.
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

phototrek said:
My 2015 got flashed to newest and I lost all drive a few miles out of the shop :)

So, I never experience this horrible problem yet (knocking on the wood :| ). Already have 4300 miles on my 2014. Seems like a problem occurring within first 3000 miles if exist. MB USA "suggested" to do the software upgrade. I think I need to think twice now before doing that :shock:

Sorry to hear about those owners with the sudden stop issue. I have about 5500 miles on my 2014 and haven't had that issue yet but did have something occur last night. Driving home in the evening about 30mph and slowing to a stop I received a one or two beeps then a red warning light with the battery icon and below that it said "Stop Vehicle See Operator's Manual". I took it in this morning and while Seattle doesn't sell the B class they seem to be very responsive when it comes to service for me. A few hours later I received a voicemail that they have to replace the SAM module. Had to look that up to learn it is a network controller type device. Anyway not in stock so they will order while I enjoy driving their new C class. Anyone else had this module replaced?

Early on I got the Stop Vehicle message and took it immediately to the dealer who chose to do nothing. It is a MB owned facility so they were on it. No repeat since and luckily no sudden loss of power. I have an appointment for December 3rd scheduled to do Service A and the recall, if they have it by then. Will report how it goes when it goes.

I've had the YELLOW Visit Workshop and RED Stop Vehicle See Operators Manual warning a total of 3 times -- mostly in October. No shifting into neutral, no drama. The vehicle continued driving as normal.. So I would pull over, turn off the car, lock it, unlock it, and turn back on again. business as usual . My car is 11 months in service and 12,500 miles.

I got a handwritten postcard from my dealer yesterday regarding the recall and I am getting the recall work done right now. When I called about it 10 days ago they did not have the software but I guess they do now.

False alarm. Two hours at the dealer and I got a new emissions sticker and a car wash. They claim not to have the software patch. They will call me when they get it. It would have been nice to know that when I made the appointment this morning for the recall work in response to their urgent message that I needed to bring the car in for the recall work. I told them people in other cities were getting the software patch, they said they would check on that and get back to me. Sigh.

As a prospective buyer, can anyone confirm that the recall software flash has completely fixed this issue?

thanks.

The issue is completely fixed. I never had the issue, but I was getting a LOT of warnings -- visit workshop, etc. No more.

I have driven 14,000 miles on the car and would not hesitate to recommend it. Just know the WORST range is as low as 72-78 miles in frigid cold winter, and it can be worse -- like 61-68 miles if you do all local (short trips) driving.. The car does better on highways, cruising at constant speed. Stop and go on highways is not a problem.... In summer you get 87-115 miles range. Typically 94-104 miles. So don;t expect more than what the car can do an you will not be disappointed. The 10 kW on-board charger is amazing, charging 25-30% of the battery per hour. But you need a proper EVSE and 50 Amp circuit / circuit breaker. It's not as fun to drive as a BMW i3, but very stable and reliable.

Thanks @wtzouris!

Currently for L2 we only have a Nema 20 outlet and Nissan leaf charger that was modified to charge at 3.84 kw (http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3). do you see any issue with us using this charger other than the lower speed? Will it charge at 3.84kw?

This ReadyCharge charger charges at 3.8 kW. ( 16 Amps at 240v. ) 16 x 240 = 3,840 watts. Obviously if you only have 208v or 220v that's just a little lower. 3.3 kW or 3.5 kW, respectively.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to bring awareness to this issue with the Mercedes B-Class EV.

We got our B-Class EV in 12/2014. My wife experienced the first engine cut out while driving in 4/2015. I took it to services and they sent it back with a software upgrade. A few months later, the engine cut out again, but we did not take it in to services. And about 1 month ago, it happened again while my wife is making an entrance to the freeway. This scared the heck out of her so we took it back to services again. The car has been in the shop for 1 month now. Mercedes is working with Tesla engineers on the problem. However, they have not been able to come up with a fix. They requested to install and turn on some diagnostic software and ask us to drive again, but I rejected the idea due to safety reason. I have opened a case with Mercedes asking them to take back the car (CA lemon law). They said their engineers still want to work on it some more and it will take about a month or so for them to determine whether they will be able to take back the car or not.

This is the issue reported to NHTSA (the 2015 recall). Since you did not take the car back when it occurred after the 4/2015 fix, you don't have the latest "fixed" software! The recall was carried out starting in December of 2015. So maybe your dealership is not performing the software upgrade properly? I don't know of anyone having the problem after the software that came out December 2015. Sorry there is no way for us to refer to the version number of the software like 3.0, 4.0 etc.

Take the car to a different Mercedes dealer? Is this a Model Year 2014 car?

Also please confirm your timeline:

April 2015 First occurrence of slipping into Neutral while driving

July-November 2015 second occurrence of slipping into neutral but you did not take it in to service

December 2015 NHTSA Recall (I assume you did not take it in, what about your annual battery certification?)

August 2016 Second occurrence of slipping into neutral ?

There are some HUGE gaps here I'm just trying to understand if you have only taken the car in twice to service once in April 2015 and then in August 2016?

>>Take the car to a different Mercedes dealer? Is this a Model Year 2014 car?
Both Mercedes and Tesla engineers are working on the issue. I can't imagine if they are not giving the proper advice to the dealership on the right version of software to install

>>April 2015 First occurrence of slipping into Neutral while driving
Correct

>>July-November 2015 second occurrence of slipping into neutral but you did not take it in to service
Can't remember the exact time frame when this happened. It's correct that we did not take it into service on this occurrence.

>>December 2015 NHTSA Recall (I assume you did not take it in, what about your annual battery certification?)
This is interesting because we did not get any recall notice from Mercedes.

We pre-paid for and took our car in for the 10K mile service. This was done in late 2015 (Nov-Dec time frame)

>>August 2016 Second occurrence of slipping into neutral ?
Correct. In addition to the engine cut out, we have another issue about an hour later where as we were slowing down to turn left, the car went into neutral by itself (no engine cut out).

>>There are some HUGE gaps here I'm just trying to understand if you have only taken the car in >>twice to service once in April 2015 and then in August 2016?
It's correct that we only take the car in twice for this particular problem.
We have also taken the car in for other services such as the 10K annual service.

I find it unbelievable (no really - not trying to insult you) that you were not made aware of the recall. There was a full stop-sale for about 2-3 months on the B-Class ED (B250e) from October to December 2015 while Mercedes and Tesla were working on the problem. Turns out it was very similar to the problem with the Toyota RAV 4 EV recall.

You wrote: >>Take the car to a different Mercedes dealer? Is this a Model Year 2014 car?
Both Mercedes and Tesla engineers are working on the issue. I can't imagine if they are not giving the proper advice to the dealership on the right version of software to install

I believe there could be total incompetence n the part of the dealership - yes I have seen that time and time again. Did your address change why did you not get the recall notice????

Trying to understand WTF happened here, crazy story. I hope they can fix your car - after the recall software my car has been perfect almost 20k miles now... (I never had the slip into neutral issue, just weird dashboard warnings)

>This is the issue reported to NHTSA (the 2015 recall).
Yup. I looked up and found the recall for the 2014-2015 model after reading about it from one of the Forums (see url link). Our address remains the same so I don't know what happened. I will double check with Mercedes.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=XSBrXNNYH7T78W4HlJwhN21zvw0dvxsw8P5czFScv5ZWFTfj2ph1!1855063223?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=B-CLASS+ELECTRIC&stats=1991028%2C1%2C0%2C6%2C0%2CB-CLASS+ELECTRIC&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2014&searchCriteria.make=MERCEDES+BENZ&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1991028

My car has also displayed the same "dashboard warnings" that some people are experiencing at least a couple of time since I have it.

I agree with WTZ, the error is at the dealer level for our cars, whether it is the recall, parts, free annual battery check, etc. Check the forum before you go into your dealer so you are forearmed.

Should be addressed when they do the complete recall and software upgrades.

Concur with WTZ, and in my experience, the M-B dealership I bought the car from knew very little about the car, everything else they would either guess at or leave it to me to find the answer on my own. Luckily, I've only had a couple warning lights that were due to the 12V battery being discharged due to sitting idle on the dealer lot for six months. Having all the recalls & campaigns completed was a requirement for importing my B into Canada.

Sounds like you need to take the car to a dealership that actually gives a damn.

Back