Warning "PRE-SAFE Function Limited"

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ophthodawg

a "PRE-SAFE Function Limited" warning popped up our dash today

i called MBrace and they suggested I clean the bumper sensors. funny because the car is cleaner today than ever. i didn't wax the car or anything either

called dealer and they said they could look at it ASAP, will keep the forum posted.

a quick google search indicates its nothing specific to the B class ED...

btw, how do you attach a picture to these forum posts?

ophthodawg said:

i called MBrace and they suggested I clean the bumper sensors. funny because the car is cleaner today than ever. i didn't wax the car or anything either

called dealer and they said they could look at it ASAP, will keep the forum posted.

The easiest way is to use something like photobucket and post the link. This is a photo of a Blink J1772 connector as an example. You can look at the properties and get an idea.

ophthodawg said:

Now having owned 2 MBs and with memberships on various forums, I have come to the conclusion that this message sometimes appears when other things are wrong within the electrical system. In my case, I had a bad connector on my throttle valve of my CLA250 which on a couple of occasions thew up this message instead of the P code and CEL that should have come on.

Best bet is to take it in to get checked. Please post your dealers findings if there are any as these forums help many. Not all dealers are great at thinking out side of the box. I had to point my dealer in the right direction when I had problems with my CLA.

I dropped mine off yesterday. Today, I get a call saying that the Shop Foreman wants to take it home tonight for an extended test drive. They didn't have any indication of the concern on the write-up, so I don't know any details.

But I got a nice E350 to play with, so I don't care how long they keep it.

A CUSTOMER STATES "PRE-SAFE FUNCTION" , SEE OPERATORS MANUAL MESSAGE ON
DASH BOARD.
CAUSE: CODING
541011 QUICK TEST PERFORM
18183 W8 (N/C)
540791 SEPARATE PARTS FOR DRIVER ASSISTANCE
SYSTEM: .................... CHECK ACCORDING
TO FAULT CODE
18183 W8 (N/C)
540991 PROGRAM AND CODE CONTROL UNIT
.................... (AFTER QUICK TEST)
18183 W8 (N/C)
15608 CODING PERFORMED COLLISION ASSIST FLASH UPDATE AND SCN CODING
DUE TO COMMUNICATION PROBLEM WITH ENGINE AND DRIVE TRAIN CANS. SHORT
TEST. REMOVED PASSENGER FRONT CARPET TO INSPECT WIRE HARNESS TO RIGHT
FRONT SAM FOR CHAFFING AND CONDITION. I FOUND NO DAMAGE.. CODE STORED
U019B87 IN PCM. 1 CURRENT AND 11 STORED EVENTS IN COLLISION ASSIST
MODULE. CURRENT B220600 STORED U041600 U0423FA U040183 U042382 U042983
U0429FA U140800 U0401FD U144300 U042900 U140700.THE CHASSIS VERSION WAS
NOT ABLE OVER THE INDIVIDUAL CANS. UPDATE COMPLETED.

Translation: we have no f*(&^(*&^ng clue. So we re-flashed the software. I ignore warnings like that unless they happen repeatedly. I'm 15 months in on a 36 month lease, and my goal is to go to the dealer once at the two year mark for the FREE annual battery certification and then at 36 months to turn it in. And unless there is a 200-mile second gen B250e by then I will go with BMW i3 or Tesla Model 3.

According to the service advisor, the pre safe alert has something to do with the seat belts or air bags. Or something else related to a safety issue. If your dealer loans out MB sedans like Escondido does, I'd go in. When else can I take a two day test drive of a 2015 E350. That's just a pure indulgance for me. I would never get one in that class, even if I stayed ice.

But I wonder what those 10 stored codes mean? I couldn't find anything in the web. Probably because they're Tesla codes? I don't know.

Got it again. This time they replaced the Collision Prevention computer.

16589 PRESAFE 0.00 REPLACED A90 COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST CONTROL
UNIT.B220600. CAN COMMUNICATION NOT POSSIBLE TO THE A90. INSTALLED
NEWEST SOFT WARE. PERFORMED SCN CODEING. PERFORMED LEARNING PROCESS.
DIAGNOSIS=CONFIRMED COMPLAINT. SHORT TEST. EVENT IN A90 FOR MISSING
VIN#. THE VIN # IS SHOWN IN THE EIS AND THE A90. INSPECTED HARNESS AT
FRONT SAM FOR CHAFFING. THEY WERE OK. R&R FRONT BUMPER AND DISASSEMBLE
TO REPLACE CONTROL UNIT. ROAD TESTED. COMPLETE.

Back