What kind of range are you getting?

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markbb99

For owners of B class Electric what kind of range are you getting per charge?
If you the extended range option what kind of range are getting when you use the extended range option?
Also how long does it take to charge to full?

Mark

so far about 70 miles. I had it a week now. I am a little concerned as I was expecting something closer to the 80-85 range. It is worth noting the millage gauge does appear to be accurate.

70 miles is truly a bit disappointing. What are your driving habits?

Any other experiences out there?

sfbclass said:
so far about 70 miles. I had it a week now. I am a little concerned as I was expecting something closer to the 80-85 range. It is worth noting the millage gauge does appear to be accurate.

Hi, any updates on this? I've read in some editorial reviews that in E mode range is better than projected - ie. Go 67 miles and it still shows 20 miles left...

I pay little attention to range prediction meters... Experience has shown them to be simply too variable unless you always drive the same speed and on flat terrain...

klaus said:
Hi, any updates on this? I've read in some editorial reviews that in E mode range is better than projected - ie. Go 67 miles and it still shows 20 miles left...

I've had mine since July 31. I have yet to truly test it because most of my driving is little trips about town, but on a daily basis, the range on the display panel always shows about 70 miles. However, twice I have taken longer free way trips. With the most recent one I was very pleasantly surprised when I drive 72 miles and still had 22 miles left on the range indicator. At that point, I was worried about making it home and had planned a stop at a mall with a level 2 charger. The other freeway trip I took was similar in that I was showing something like 85+ miles of range. Didn't use it all up before recharging, but it was definitely getting a longer range than my around town driving.

cjcorda said:
I drive 72 miles and still had 22 miles left

Thanks. I really wish more would post how it's going. I assume no one has a 'Range Plus' B-class, yet, and that this was at a perfect summer temperature. Still, 94 miles at 70mph would be pretty stunning. I expect this car to give up less on the highway, because it's better to just keep its 3,800lbs of inertia going. Elevation changes, and other stuff however makes it hard to control for where the car is going to land. I think a true 100 miles, with the range option on the highway, could force Mercedes to move a few cars.

Have had the car for a week and have been using this site as a reference before my purchase so want to contribute back to info on the car.

I have the range package but have not used it yet, so I can't comment. EPA range estimates appear close to accurate so far in normal driving although I have not tested on much on longer drives. The car consistently states 70 mile range at 100% battery start but as others have stated, however, it appears to be conservative to account for non-conservative driving (fast acceleration, heavy braking) and using air/heat, radio and any other regular power users - so even on normal driving I usually pick up more miles than the 70 estimate based on battery usuage. I can easily beat the EPA estimate with some highway driving. On initial drive home from dealer - which was a distance away from me - we used about 1/3 battery to go 50 miles but I had everything off and didn't test the range so topped off in between. Normal driving day to day - with radio and a/c appears closer to the 87 mile limit but I am driving average of 45 miles per day (and using less than 50% of battery).

While I normally drive in E (Economy mode), I took it out today just to drive and have to say I really do enjoy the sport mode with the high regenerative braking.

I hope you will do some normal driving for more than 50 miles several times after charging for full range and let us know how it does.

As those of us in the Leaf community learned long ago, any range tests done under less than controlled conditions will produce numbers that are largely meaningless for comparison...
Day to day driving numbers are just too variable to be very useful...

I have found that not to be true. I have gotten estimates close to the EPA numbers for my 2012 LEAF by doing a normal around-town trip and recording the battery % used and the miles driven and doing a simple calculation: range estimate = (miles driven)*100/(% used). This also can show how much battery capacity is lost before the top bar disappears as miles are added to the car.

Since the MBCED does not have an EPA number for when charging is done for the range package actuated, some rough numbers by many drivers would be helpful.

You are apparently luckier than most and very average then... Millions of miles of data on the Leaf show this not to generally be the case, with large swings based on usage, location, elevation and terrain...

The only thing that produces directly comparable and repeatable numbers is a carefully orchestrated range test such as has been done many times with the Leaf and RAV4EV by Tony Williams and others.

roperld said:
I have found that not to be true.

I think we only learn with real life... With real owners ... If a normal driving does 90 miles and lote of drivers do the same .... It means that the most part will do it... Your EPA numbers are good ....the european cycle is stupid ...

I hope that someone with extended range can do something around 115 miles driving legal speeds ...

59 miles round trip today, 40% battery remaining, no range option used. Conservative driving (limit fast acceleration, etc). Mostly flat roads with about 50% highway and 50% rural roads in stop and go.

My range is spot on.. I use the standard charger at home, so I don't always leave for work with 100%. But, I use a level 2 charger at work, so I always go home with 100%.
I am 37mi from work (35.5mi being on the highway and the last mile being a decent uphill climb; no traffic, either way) I consistently get home with 55% left. I took delivery last Tuesday, and it has been spot on everyday since. This means, I should JUST be able to manage 83 hwy miles, and that's what's advertised for this car (I think?).
To add, I'm not the most conservative driver: I'm mostly between 75-80mph and also allow myself two "boosts" to enjoy the torque, when I can heh..

oaken said:
59 miles round trip today, 40% battery remaining, no range option used.

Thanks. I'm not with TomT, and hope people keep chiming in. Range cars are here! As long as elevation and temperature aren't far up/down, I don't see things being far off. At least maybe they shouldn't be in months such as August/September. It would be nice to know temps, a/c, and especially heat loss, once the ancillaries start getting used.

Certainly, TomT, if a test gets done I'd be all over it, but so far this is the only thread your's truly has found, on B-class real world range. I hope someone with 'Range Plus' will hit the button, charge to the 93% (33/36kwh), and hit the highway for a good 70+ miles of straight ~65mph. Maybe a 40-50 mile out, then back? Pretty, please :) .

i would like to have some real numbers with the extended range... but i think it will be something around 120 miles... normal driving...

rdias said:
i would like to have some real numbers with the extended range... but i think it will be something around 120 miles... normal driving...
While it sounds like the B-Class is doing better than the EPA numbers, I think for the most part it's only been 5-10mi better. So I doubt it will be much higher than 105 with highway driving involved.

I was 2mi better than the EPA numbers with my LEAF with a 50-50 highway/streets with traffic for more than a year after purchase (Pacific NW climate is good on battery life). I have ordered the Range Package and will hopefully have my car in about a month so I should be able to supply some numbers soon after. However as many users have posted here recently, range varies thanks many different variables: altitude change, climate, speed, driver fluidity, etc. So if one is trying to estimate the range that they might get if they drove a B-Class, one should consider all the numbers posted as input not cherry pick just the good ones.

we need real numbers from real drivers... of course .. as a reference only...

in portugal the sells will start in october with deliverys in january...

the car is comming with a new restyling .... in front and back and center console....

the problem is it will start with a price of 43.000 euros ( 55.595 dolares )

its very , very expensive... and its more expensive than a I3 in portugal....

so... or it comes with lots of extras or it will not sell .....

I am getting 2.5 miles per Kwh driving on really short trips with a lot of stop and go, and leaving the A/C on while I'm in stores. This compares to 3.4 m/Kwh in my Leaf for the same driving circumstances. On highway driving, the BED is getting 3.5 m/Kwh compared to 4 m/Kwh in my Leaf for the same type of driving. So, on an 80% charge (what Mercedes calls a 100% charge without the range extender), all that translates to 70 miles in the city (2.5X28) and ~100 miles on the highway. I haven't tried the range extender, which allows the battery to charge the last 20%, but the theoretical mileage would then be 87 in the city, and ~122 on the highway.

Back