B Class vs. Leaf

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStig

Driven the B Class twice, 2 different dealers. Leaf once yesterday so that is fresh in my memory. A few comments.

Neither Benz dealer sales rep was well educated on the car. First dealer said all sales reps were fully trained but I'm not a believer. They spent the most time demonstrating the infotainment system which they are well versed in from other cars. Both sales people pretended that the $7500 tax credit had no impact on a lease, and kicked off the conversations with monthly lease costs between $500 and $600. Yea sure, where do I sign....

The Nissan dealer had 2 Leaf experts in yesterday and they know their stuff. Granted they have been selling these for years not months. There wasn't a question I asked and they couldn't answer or answered wrong. Yes, I ask questions when I know the answers to check the level of BS.

Highlights of the comparison. Leaf interior is a significant step down in material quality, but offers heated rear seats and heated steering wheel. The Leaf left the lot @ 24 degrees outside showing 85 miles of range. I drove it 5 miles and pulled into the lot showing 65 on the GOM. Cold weather and warming car from parking lot temps takes its toll on range with the Leaf too.

The Benz is quieter at speeds 40 and higher no question. The Leaf doesn't feel as well insulated and there was wind noise at speed though it was a windy day and they hadn't cleared all the snow and ice from the hood which might have been a factor.

There is more acceleration power in the Benz off the line, but once off and moving the Leaf gathers speed quickly too. Feels like Nissan is limiting off the line power to keep us lead foots from killing the range.

Pricing, Nissan is offering both a $3500 rebate and 0% for up to 72 months on 2015 models (no 2014 leftovers anywhere). Didn't talk lease just yet with them. They quickly offered $1000 under invoice, then apply the rebate, and 0% financing. A quick check in turbo tax software confirmed I'd get the full $7500 credit next tax season too. Some rough math tells me it would lease in the $199mo range with a low up front cost. If I read correctly, there is a $9000 lease cash incentive on Leaf SL models right now.

Mercedes has to be ready to move these 2014 models out even more aggressively soon, there are 10 and 9 in stock at my closest dealers here in CT. The current "deals" end tomorrow 2/2 and I'd think something better must be on the way with 2015 models to be delivered. I'm confident the B class (2014) can be leased for $299mo or little less but I'd cap my upfront cost at $2000 or less to be really interested.

Not in a hurry to purchase, we own 2 other cars and this is a 3rd until we get comfortable with the EV. If it all works out I'll put the old Infiniti on craigslist.

Comments? Things I've missed?

Loved the Benz dealer I bought my B Class from yet as you suggested minimal knowledge of the car. Nothing wrong being an educated buyer and for the post EV buyers are. BUY the Benz! We have a fleet of Leafs. Great EV but the Benz just looks great, drives great, battery is strong, and yes with tons of inventory the car can be had for $299 NO money down except for taxes and plates. I paid a few dollars more because mine is loaded and the color combo is available in only like 6 cars in the country. Its unique looking without be too weird IMO.

The lease cash incentives for electrics are where they are gearing up to get rid of inventory, 2014 or 2015. There is or will be a reaction to gas prices dropping 45%. I hate dealing with your typical salesperson who is either dumb or thinks we are dumb. They are also ignoring the nationwide advertised deal of $299 lease payment per month. Old trick to wear you out just getting to that deal so you press less on the lease deal upfront payment. If you look at the other lease posts here, people have given the line by line breakdown so you know which part is their give up and which part is the federal tax portion they get.

TheStig said:
<big snip>...
Comments? Things I've missed?
You might want to check out the Things I Miss from my LEAF thread (http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=207).

I agreed with #2 (no external charge indication), didn't care about DC Quick charge or keyless ignition, considered ugly wheels part of life and #5 was an error as leather is available. Here are my pluses and minuses, don't let the # of items deceive you, I still am happier with the B-Class:

1. No real OEM accessories available in US from Mercedes yet. No excuse for this. The car has been on the market for years in Europe and Canada. Went to the MB USA site today (http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/accessories_catalog/class-B/model-BED. Basically nothing but valve stems,license plate frame, decorative hub inserts, and some racks. No All-weather mats, cargo mat, Mercedes hood ornament, front fog lamps, etc. Totally bogus.
2. No external charge indicator.
3. No rear seat heaters.
4. Rear headrests do not go all the way down and are not easily removable. Really stupid, the guy who did this should be fired.
5. Windshield wiper/Gear shift confusion. The Gear shift is too similar to windshield wiper. If you have other cars and switch between them & the B-Class, you're going to accidentally shift into neutral. If they are going to put the shift there, make it work like a car from the 80's, big knob, pull to actuate, so that one can distiguish between that gear shift and a windshield wiper. Better yet, take the wiper functionality off the turn signal and put the wiper on the right, below the gear shift, to match the cruise control (on the left).
6. Way too conservative GOM. Routinely beat it by 15-20miles every time. Also the on-dash consumption reading looks to be Wall-to-Wheels, not Battery-to-Wheels.
7. No charge timer (I bought a Siemens EVSE that has a delay charger so I'm OK).

and the pluses over the LEAF:

1. Range. I have yet to use the range extender and I average around 85mi mixed highway/city, so I think >100mi is a realistic possibility.
2. Faster L2 charging. I had a 2011 LEAF, so this was more than double, but it's only 10% more vs. a new LEAF.
3. Comfort. Seats, position memory, interior lighting, controls and layout (with the exception of the gear shift), all way ahead of LEAF.
4. No touch screen. Touch screens are a road hazard, especially ones with poorly designed GUI's like the LEAF that have tiny targets. The results are many errors which requires the driver to stare at the touchscreen (instead of the road). The dial navigation knob found in most German cars takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out, there are little or no navigation errors and it's much easier to pay attention to the road.

As far as Mercedes is concerned it is complete ignorance. Adding Green and Mercedes in the same sentence does not compute. Aside from a no knowledge salesman Mercedes is desperate to get this compliance car sold. Leasing is just about free and in my case I got a 48650 car for 36K. Maybe I could have done better but I am happy.

I knew more about the car from my exposure at the OC auto show than my salesman. Granted the car is a 2014 model but there is minimal changes to the 2015. It looks like the efficient but ugly wheels are out.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. If this snow and ice ever lets up my wife will get out and drive the Leaf as a comparison but there is little doubt B class is the EV to get right now.

Do I think it will be perfect, and trouble free like the established Leaf? No it won't. But my Benz dealer is very close by and there will be a loaner ready when it needs service. Or more likely software updates.

I'm going to start the process by putting a 240v 50a outlet in the garage. That will take a little time, it needs to come off a sub panel outside near the electric meter, though a crawl space and into the garage. Anyone who has worked with 6-3 wire knows it is like bending pipe and unpleasant so that will take me a weekend or two. After that I know I can get a EV and a charger quickly when the time and deal are right.

TheStig said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. If this snow and ice ever lets up my wife will get out and drive the Leaf as a comparison but there is little doubt B class is the EV to get right now.

Do I think it will be perfect, and trouble free like the established Leaf? No it won't. But my Benz dealer is very close by and there will be a loaner ready when it needs service. Or more likely software updates.

I'm going to start the process by putting a 240v 50a outlet in the garage. That will take a little time, it needs to come off a sub panel outside near the electric meter, though a crawl space and into the garage. Anyone who has worked with 6-3 wire knows it is like bending pipe and unpleasant so that will take me a weekend or two. After that I know I can get a EV and a charger quickly when the time and deal are right.

My next project once the breaker arrives from Ebay is to convert my 40A 14-50 to 50A. I am lucky in that the total run is only about 8 feet. 32A works but why not upgrade to 40A charging. I just have to replace the black and red wires. The ground and neutral can remain #8 by code.

tomt said:
How do you figure 10%... The Leaf is 6 Kw and the MB is 10 Kw...

padamson1 said:
2. Faster L2 charging. I had a 2011 LEAF, so this was more than double, but it's only 10% more vs. a new LEAF.
True, but I've only got a 7.2kW EVSE Siemens VersiCharge (bought b/c it has a built-in timer) and all the public EVSEs around me only go up to 7.2 (ChargePoint went higher, but they shut theirs down in my area), so I don't see the other 2.8kW

wtzouris said:
If you are getting a 2014 B-Class make sure it has the range extending package.

I fully agree but most existing inventory does not have this option. I purchased the only one in stock with the range option at Mercedes Benz of Long Beach. So far I have used it once to go to the TRW Amateur Radio Swap Meet 39 miles one way. From the remaining GOM readings I could easily have made it on a standard charge. This car mileage is very conservative.

I have the range option, and have used it only one time as well. I will use it this weekend, as I'm driving 80 miles one way to the B-Class meet-up in San Diego area.

But, other than these couple of isolated instances, I haven't needed it, personally.

Ray

I've figured the range package as a must have but only something like one in ten have it, and when you do find one it has other options as well pushing the sticker price to $50k plus.

I'm working on a deal via email from a dealer that is within range to drive it home. Good color combo as well.

But for the deal to make sense they need to come down 20% from sticker. Less the tax credit and lease away....

Finished the deal today, delivery late next week. Anyone eyeing a 2014 I'd act now. We got down to the $300 plus tax payment on a car with a sticker just over $50k. Under $2k at inception.

The difference between 10k and 12k miles a year is $14 a month. I have to decide that before delivery. $14 sounds like good insurance should you need the miles, and it would reduce the buy out option by $500.

Now I need to stop procrastinating and wire for the charger. Well, what and buy a charger.

My F&i guy said that few buy out the lease. A few months before lease end Mercedes will send you an offer to lease a new car.

TheStig said:
Finished the deal today, delivery late next week. Anyone eyeing a 2014 I'd act now. We got down to the $300 plus tax payment on a car with a sticker just over $50k. Under $2k at inception.

The difference between 10k and 12k miles a year is $14 a month. I have to decide that before delivery. $14 sounds like good insurance should you need the miles, and it would reduce the buy out option by $500.

Now I need to stop procrastinating and wire for the charger. Well, what and buy a charger.

Can you provide some details... Dealer? 24/36 month? What was the MSRP? What is the agreed upon price, cap cost? Residual Value? etc. much appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats man. A 36 month lease at the advertised $299 base rate and you knocked them down on the upfront. You are the man!

I'll post the exact details after delivery when it is all in front of me later next week. But the above are the highlights. 46% residual (@10k mi per year), money factor in the 0.5% range. The residual goes to 45% for $12k miles per year.

I got the advertised rate plus tax, in a essentially loaded car ($50k sticker) with nothing down but fees, tags and first month payment.

It is going to use $40 to $50 a month in electricity opposed to the $160 to $200 our Lincoln MKT is swilling for those same around town toddler shuttling trips.

Don't know if it is true or not but he said when the current lease program ends march 2, the residual is likely to drop for the following months until the 2014 models are gone. I'd expect the incentives would increase to counter act but he said at a certain point with a leftover the purchase will be the way to go as MB won't want too many cars coming off lease 4 model years old.

Anyone in SoCal having any luck getting dealers to lease a $50k B-class for advertised $299/mo with 0 down? So far I've gotten positive responses from dealers willing to part with $45K cars for $299/mo before taxes with about $1600 cash due at signing (on a 10K mile/yr lease). I can't imagine with such high inventory and not many cars moving off the lot that better deals aren't too far away….

padamson1 said:
The dial navigation knob found in most German cars takes some getting used to, but once you figure it out, there are little or no navigation errors and it's much easier to pay attention to the road.

Hm. Sorry for off topic; My opinion with having used both is that touchscreens (as long as not terribly designed- maybe the leaf's is) end up being safer (why? maybe less eyes off road and less cognitive tax, but I hope some empirical studies look at the differences)

Back