Buying in California

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeepabi

I am going to get a new car and the B class could be good for me. I am getting a deal of 37k from a http://www.truecar.com dealer online. The original truecar price is 38,652. I saw others shared some good deal as low as 36k on http://www.autopriceshare.com. Do I need to continue bargaining with dealers or just take this deal(37,674 for B-class 2014 model)?

What is the MSRP of the car you are interested?

Some are getting close to 20% off of the MSRP plus the Federal tax Credit of $7500 but this has been on lease deals mainly.

There are many lease incentives for the dealers. Not sure on purchase incentives. I don't think the Trucar data is accurate for the B-class Mercedes. (Purchase or Lease).

Probably depends on purchase vs. lease. I leased my 2014 about a month ago and my vehicle came with everything except Parktronic and leather. The window sticker was just under $51K. I negotiated over a period of a couple days and was able to get the lease basis down to $27900 after dealer discounts, Mercedes incentive, Federal $7500 incentive, etc. and $4K at signing. So, about $32K if you add back the down payment. Of course, here in Maryland, I got a $3K rebate directly from the state so that reduced the out of pocket cost to only $1K. :D

After the $7500 in California - your price out the door is generally like so:

MSRP [used to compute a residual - thats all]
Invoice [about 92-94% of the price of MSRP usually - depending on options]
MB Cash [-5000 2014, -3000 2015]
Additional Dealer discount - about $2500 [there is a hidden dealer rebate in there somewhere -]
-7500 Fed rebate -
lease acquisition fee +$795
money factor for 780+ credit scores = 1.58% interest rate - subsidized by the factory

THAT is the standard deal anyone can get by simply asking for it- some folks pay more - but most get that deal. It takes lots of effort to get it much lower than that - there is simply no money there.

Our vehicle:
MSRP 48950
Invoice $45941 [after delivery]
+795.

$30,941 = $31,735 cap cost

15000 miles a year is 43% residual = 21048.5

Meaning the base lease cost is $10,700 -

generating a payment of about $325 plus tax. ZERO down, paying only tax, title, license and initial payment at delivery [about $1200] - you have to admit it is an AMAZING car for $325 a month - $325 monthly lease with zero down gets you a Chevy, a base Honda, a Kia or a Ford Fusion. This car blows those away in terms of base quality and dealer experience. Just blows it away.

THAT is the best deal generally available out there now - you can't get it any lower by 'negotiating' because there is no more money in the deal - the dealer is getting some money on top of the 3% hold back to move the cars - they HAVE TO BE - but that does not mean you are going to see any of it. The car exists because MB needs to cya about its CAFE. It costs less to lose a bit of money on this car than pay the fine on every other car they make.

Hello All - new to this forum, so appreciate any info/tips about getting a good deal.

Guess I'm a little late to the party, but I'm trying to transition from my current Lexus CT lease (swap pending) and then lease a 2014 B-Class as my first EV.

I emailed a bunch of dealers in the Bay Area and was able to come across one as follows:

MSRP 47800.00
SELLING PRICE 32912.00
DISCOUNT 14888.00
MONTHLY TAX 20.76
1ST PAYMENT 258.03
CAP RED 2999.00
-----------------------
SLS TAX UPFNT 365.22
CAP REDUCTN 2999.00
TOT MO PYMT 258.03
1ST YR FEES 342.75
-----------------------
SEC DEPOSIT 0.00
NET CAP COST 29913.00
TOT OF PYMTS 9289.08
OTHER UPFNT 1175.00
-----------------------
ADJ RESIDUAL 21988.00
EST FEES/TERM 952.75
TOT INIT PMT 5140.00
TOT TERM DEP 7925.00
TOT TAXES 1112.58
MONTHLY DEP 220.14
DUE ON DELIV 5140.00
MO LEASE CHG 17.13
TERM 36
BASE PAYMENT 237.27

Does it look like this is a good deal because I thought the down amount seemed high?

Thanks!

Comanchepilot said:
After the $7500 in California - your price out the door is generally like so:

MSRP [used to compute a residual - thats all]
Invoice [about 92-94% of the price of MSRP usually - depending on options]
MB Cash [-5000 2014, -3000 2015]
Additional Dealer discount - about $2500 [there is a hidden dealer rebate in there somewhere -
-7500 Fed rebate -
lease acquisition fee +$795
money factor for 780+ credit scores = 1.58% interest rate - subsidized by the factory

THAT is the standard deal anyone can get by simply asking for it- some folks pay more - but most get that deal. It takes lots of effort to get it much lower than that - there is simply no money there.

Our vehicle:
MSRP 48950
Invoice $45941 [after delivery]
+795.

$30,941 = $31,735 cap cost

15000 miles a year is 43% residual = 21048.5

Meaning the base lease cost is $10,700 -

generating a payment of about $325 plus tax. ZERO down, paying only tax, title, license and initial payment at delivery [about $1200] - you have to admit it is an AMAZING car for $325 a month - $325 monthly lease with zero down gets you a Chevy, a base Honda, a Kia or a Ford Fusion. This car blows those away in terms of base quality and dealer experience. Just blows it away.

THAT is the best deal generally available out there now - you can't get it any lower by 'negotiating' because there is no more money in the deal - the dealer is getting some money on top of the 3% hold back to move the cars - they HAVE TO BE - but that does not mean you are going to see any of it. The car exists because MB needs to cya about its CAFE. It costs less to lose a bit of money on this car than pay the fine on every other car they make.
I don't think the MSRP on a 2015 is reduced as much as $3,000. Might be the case for 2014 models though.
Where does the $2,500 discount come from? Is this taken from the California clean air rebate which the dealer may have already applied for? Your $325 monthly seems to include CA sales tax on the lease base, but doesn't appear to include rent charge. $10,700 / 36 = $297.22. The CA sales tax gets applied both to the lease rent charge and your $297.22 monthly lease payment. Did your "rent charge" get waived (you are saying the money factor is subsidized by the factory)?
My credit score is way over 800, and I am still paying rent charge part of my lease payments.
It's the amount which the leasing company makes money with. Is MB really giving out the remaining 2014's for free?

I'd say it is high based on what I see from TrueCar and Edmunds... there is also a 6k incentive from MBUSA for the 2014 model. Ask for the sales price BEFORE any incentives and Fed credit... and ask for the MF and Residual for your lease terms. I think they are marking up the MF and not giving you nearly the discount you deserve - my guess is about 3k or so. I would personally aim for around 300/mo including tax with NO CASH - sign and drive. Others may have other insights... as I am shopping and MB is back on my list (including KIA - yes.... and BMW), I am getting very keen on the the real numbers that make up the deal... good bad or otherwise.
Luck...

Z

daboys2007 said:
Hello All - new to this forum, so appreciate any info/tips about getting a good deal.

Guess I'm a little late to the party, but I'm trying to transition from my current Lexus CT lease (swap pending) and then lease a 2014 B-Class as my first EV.

I emailed a bunch of dealers in the Bay Area and was able to come across one as follows:

MSRP 47800.00
SELLING PRICE 32912.00
DISCOUNT 14888.00
MONTHLY TAX 20.76
1ST PAYMENT 258.03
CAP RED 2999.00
-----------------------
SLS TAX UPFNT 365.22
CAP REDUCTN 2999.00
TOT MO PYMT 258.03
1ST YR FEES 342.75
-----------------------
SEC DEPOSIT 0.00
NET CAP COST 29913.00
TOT OF PYMTS 9289.08
OTHER UPFNT 1175.00
-----------------------
ADJ RESIDUAL 21988.00
EST FEES/TERM 952.75
TOT INIT PMT 5140.00
TOT TERM DEP 7925.00
TOT TAXES 1112.58
MONTHLY DEP 220.14
DUE ON DELIV 5140.00
MO LEASE CHG 17.13
TERM 36
BASE PAYMENT 237.27

Does it look like this is a good deal because I thought the down amount seemed high?

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Z!

I will ask for the MF & Residual amount then. When you say "No Cash", I would still have to cover tax, lic & reg, which is about $1,200-$1,300 right?

Also, I am looking into those same vehicles too. It seems the Kia really only comes in 2 flavs for their EV, which makes it simple to chose from. I liked that the Soul sits higher, so the visibility would be good for the Mrs.

Thanks and good luck to you too!

zony said:
I'd say it is high based on what I see from TrueCar and Edmunds... there is also a 6k incentive from MBUSA for the 2014 model. Ask for the sales price BEFORE any incentives and Fed credit... and ask for the MF and Residual for your lease terms. I think they are marking up the MF and not giving you nearly the discount you deserve - my guess is about 3k or so. I would personally aim for around 300/mo including tax with NO CASH - sign and drive. Others may have other insights... as I am shopping and MB is back on my list (including KIA - yes.... and BMW), I am getting very keen on the the real numbers that make up the deal... good bad or otherwise.
Luck...

Z

... no cash means really sign and drive... everything is rolled into the lease. Don't bring a checkbook (if you still believe in those) I have never put a penny down on a vehicle loan/lease ever... not going to start now. If you spend some time looking at Kia... be sure and post your results over in that forum - the Bay area dealers seem to be pretty passive aggressive... hmmm... sounds like a familiar theme... :)

Have fun...
Z

zony said:
... no cash means really sign and drive... everything is rolled into the lease. Don't bring a checkbook (if you still believe in those) I have never put a penny down on a vehicle loan/lease ever... not going to start now. If you spend some time looking at Kia... be sure and post your results over in that forum - the Bay area dealers seem to be pretty passive aggressive... hmmm... sounds like a familiar theme... :)

Have fun...
Z

Thanks Z - appreciate all the feedback! I'm bummed one of the last 2014s with the Range package just got sold. Guess I gotta wait for the 2015s now.

The adventure continues....

For what it's worth...

Just signed lease couple weeks ago, MB Escondido, 2014 B Class, 36mo lease, 0 down, $259mo. (before tax).

Obviously they were looking to get rid of 2014s and did not have extended range option.

So far great vehicle and pleased with performance.

fishn4life said:
For what it's worth...

Just signed lease couple weeks ago, MB Escondido, 2014 B Class, 36mo lease, 0 down, $259mo. (before tax).

Obviously they were looking to get rid of 2014s and did not have extended range option.

So far great vehicle and pleased with performance.

Wow - good for you! Have you filed for the CA $2,500 rebate?

Yes, thanks to reading posts on this forum! I had no idea, I don't even think the dealer knew (otherwise might have used that to wheel/deal).

Filed a few days ago, we'll post up when check is received. :D

fishn4life said:
Yes, thanks to reading posts on this forum! I had no idea, I don't even think the dealer knew (otherwise might have used that to wheel/deal).

Filed a few days ago, we'll post up when check is received. :D

Cool - the rebate is a big deal! Here's the link to the State's funding level:

https://energycenter.org/clean-vehicle-rebate-project/rebate-funding-status

According to that page, CA has allocated 72% for FY 2014-2015. Hopefully, I can get my EV deal done sooner than later.

Back