Charging on a generator

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennD

I long ago modified my 2000W inverter generator with 2 resistors as per ingineer. This worked fine with my Leaf EVSE but did not work with the Mercedes one. To get it to work I had to tie the ground and neutral together like they are in the maim breaker panel. This worked fine so I can charge in an emergency. I tried it today in my monthly 1/2 hour generator exercise.

GlennB, interesting. You must live in a risk area if you already have a generator. Curious, what is the math? How much natural gas or gasoline to generate a kWH?

JeffRay said:
GlennB, interesting. You must live in a risk area if you already have a generator. Curious, what is the math? How much natural gas or gasoline to generate a kWH?

The power here in Anaheim is very reliable. I just like to be prepared. I have a 2000W inverter generator. Since I would L1 charge a full charge would take many hours. I run it for 30 minutes on the first of the month as recommended.

I must say, since I retired the urgency is not there anymore. I have no work to be there on time. I am now a well paid bum.

Ah, I think I understand. Sounds like the tech bug that is in me although I am a couple of years behind you before I retire and have time for all the things I had put aside. Enjoy the Be in sunny southern Cal.

Tested this yesterday. Worked well though looks and feels silly to burn gas charging the car.

Here is how it worked. Rolled out my Generac XG8000E generator. It has a 240v 30a connector. I had an adapter from that to a 10-30 (3 prong old style dryer) outlet. Started the generator for the monthly or so test, warmed it up, and plugged in the Jesla. Got green lights, connected to the car, and it started charging.

It pinned the power gauge on the generator, that should have drawn about 24 Amps @ 240volts. Let it run nearly an hour which pulled the charge up from about 80% to the low 90's.

I have to run the generator periodically anyway, so rather than connect the 2 space heaters I usually use as the dummy load I'll use the car now.

Since the 10-30 old style dryer connector doesn't have a ground, the Jesla passed its self test and it all worked. It is possible in other situations you'd have to ground the generator before it would work.

Back