Check if RECALL applies to your MBe

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffRay

Given the information posted by another member about a new recall to fix the sudden stop problem, here is where you can go to see if your call is being recalled. Go to http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall. It may be too early to do so but internet and calling your dealer would seem to be two options.

So I saw this post by snowds but where can we find the official press release? I entered my VIN number and got nothing, (I have a 2014) but it seems like every car is included in the recall.

2014 B ED
Safety Recalls

On-Going (0) Completed (0)
Other Campaigns

On-Going (0) Completed (0)
NHTSA Recall Number Recall Reported Recall Starts Status Component(s) Recall Description Remedies

The recall is not public, and has not officially started yet. I would try calling your dealership service department, giving them your VIN, and asking whether there are any campaigns that show up under that VIN. If they say no, you'll just have to wait until they push it out publicly late November, or yours may not be affected.

This recall is public on the NHTSA website now. The vin for my car still doesn't bring anything up, but it would seem it is a recall on all 2014/15 cars.

They say in the documents any that were manufactured between Nov 21, 2013 and May 26, 2015. It then goes on to say that any manufactured after Oct 25, 2015 are not affected. My guess is that these would be MY16 cars and there were none manufactured between May and Oct 2015?

Anyway, there is a Vin range listed too. It says Begin :WDDVP9AB0EJ000187 End :WDDVP9ABXFJ006810 Not sequential.

You can view the documents here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...MERCEDES+BENZ&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1991027

I got mine patched yesterday, after sitting at the dealership for 3 weeks. I think the patch just came out

Thanks Camaroguy,

I rolled into the dealer today for a partial charge as I am headed out to play golf tomorrow and I could not make it there with what I had left. My service guy knew about the impending recall and said he would check and call me to schedule an appointment. I guess I get a little better service than what others reported as I am usually there once a week for a free charge and wash and chat up the team while waiting for a courtesy ride to work.

My Dealer informed me they have the software patch from Tesla.

Also got my B-Class patched yesterday. They said it was one of the first to get patched.

Interesting they are saying the patch is from Tesla..... is that a PR thing? because as far as I know the RAV4 EV and the B-Class have this issue, but the Model S did not ever have this exact issue. So was it Tesla code or Mercedes code or a shared responsibility?

OK, I entered my VIN today and the recall popped up. I made an appointment online with my regular service manager. Will go in and get my free Service A, the recall software patch, a charge, and a wash. Shuttle ride to work, a cold walk 6 long city blocks down hill from work to dealer.

I have not experienced a stoppage but do get weird stop and head to dealer message a couple of times.

But if you look it says: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available. Dec 01, 2015 242 POWERTRAIN SFTWR - Powertrain gateway update..

So I don't think they have the software fix yet/ FYI. So you will need to take your car in again in December.

SUMMARY
DAG has determined that in rare cases on certain B-Class electric drive vehicles (242 platform) the powertrain gateway control unit might send an incorrect signal for a very short duration concerning the status of the high voltage contactor. Should this occur, the vehicle would react to this signal by immediately powering down the electric powertrain unit. As a consequence, the propulsion power would be lost, temporarily immobilizing the vehicle. In such a case, the vehicle can be restarted using the ignition key.
CONSEQUENCE
A loss of propulsion power could increase the risk of a crash.

WTZ,

Yeah, but at least the recall is posted. I made an appointment which I can reschedule if they don't have patch ready. Wanna be first off the mark and look to escape without incident.

I just got mine patched. Dealer didn't know about the recall and had to call headquarters to get permission to download it.

K,

Let us know if the recall creates any new problems. Happens sometimes with software stuff.

I have had the referenced problem twice. I can not wait until the recall is available. In my case I just had to stop and apply the brake to get it back into drive. I did not have to turn off the car. Good thing it did not happen on the freeway!

The MBUSA website shows that the recall applies to my car. But when I call the dealer, they told me that "as long as the SRS airbag light is not on," I don't have a risk of this powertrain shutdown issue. I asked for documentation showing this, and was told quickly that there is no such documentation. Has anyone else heard this story, and is it at all credible? What are my options at this point?

Do not drink the dealers Kool Aid! The recall applies to almost all cars. The SRS light has nothing to do with it. That said, the site says the fix is not yet available. As I read it it will come Dec 1.

One user reported that their dealer got special permission to download the fix early but you can not count on that. It is not yet freely available.

P,

If it were me, I would march into the Service Managers office and rat out the service agent and threaten to report them to MBUSA, the state BBB, and give them a zero on their silly surveys. NO ONE ON THIS BLOG HAS REPORTED THE SRS LIGHT BEING ON WHEN THERE WAS A FAILURE. This is a safety recall, are they freaking idiots?

BTW, you might as well finger the dealership so we don't go there.

Back