Complete loss of drive after firmware update

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phototrek

Today I had the dealer do a firmware update on my 2015 (among other things) - see my other post. I am not sure if it was actually done or not, since I still have E+, but two miles from the dealership I completely lost drive. The car would coast to a stop, so I stopped at a (green) light and rebooted the car after getting it into Park (which didn't work at first). The car then got me the remaining five miles home.

I always drive in S and D-, and in the one month of ownership this obviously never happened to me. I did have it happen with my previous Ford Focus Electric on three occasions and it's totally not fun...

Did the car jolt when you lost power? Almost like you struck something? Did it go into Neutral? The reason I ask is this is what happened to my wife. The difference being she was driving on the freeway so she couldn't coast up to a light. Just a dead stop in the middle of 85. A recall was announced for the Toyota Rav 4 EV shares the same Tesla battery and motor. There was speculation that the same issue would affect the B-Class ED. It appears we've both experienced it. Any updates on whether you got this resolved at the dealer. This incident occurred after our software update as well, but our experience differs from yours in that we no longer have the E+ mode appear on the console when pressing the E/S button. So my guess is it's unrelated to the software update. Also, we have a 2014 model so I think the E+ only disappears in that model when updating, not the 2015.

Here's some interesting posts on the RAV 4 ED recall on this very forum:

http://www.mybclasselectricdrive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=275

There was no jolt or anything. It just started coasting, like in D+. The "Power" needle went all the way down to "Off". I honestly don't remember if the gear indicator went to N or not; I don't think so, I think it stayed in D-. I was too busy dodging traffic and trying to reboot...

Since it's a 2015 I have the start/stop button, so it's not possible I accidentally bumped the key, which happened to others before.

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like our issues differ in nature, but with much the same result. Utter terror.

Thank you for posting these issues. So what's MB telling you guys? Do they have a fix or are they working on a fix?

tom said:
Thank you for posting these issues. So what's MB telling you guys? Do they have a fix or are they working on a fix?

The dealer acknowledged my report and will get back to me, so I am told. If this happens once I'm not losing sleep over it. Happened 4x with my FFE until Ford issued a recall and fix...

Back