Drivers Side View Mirror - Too close

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

I can't seem to get the drivers side view mirror to point outward enough. On other cars, I can usually point the mirror motor inwards until it resets, then point it all the way out to a better position. But with the B, that trick doesn't work. Does anyone know how I can get a better look at my blind spot?

IMG_2907.JPG

According to the manual:

if an exterior mirror has been pushed out of position, proceed as follows:
X Move the exterior mirror into the correct position manually.
The mirror housing is engaged again and you can adjust the exterior mirrors as usual (Y page 93).

No change. It seems like this is its physical limit. Does everyone else have the same limit?

I would like to point the mirror out toward the next lane over.

Mine definitely goes out further. Although just noticed that your camera isn't near where your head would be. You will get a different view from the drivers POV.

Proper adjustment would be to just be able to see the side of the car when your head is next to the glass... Likewise for the right side when your head is in the middle of the car...

rdavis0521 said:
Mine definitely goes out further. Although just noticed that your camera isn't near where your head would be. You will get a different view from the drivers POV.

tomt said:
Proper adjustment would be to just be able to see the side of the car when your head is next to the glass...
If my head was next to the glass, which is where the camera is positioned, I see half of the car. So, from my normal driving position, I am really close to seeing the outside door handles.

Yep, that is definitely not right... I think a trip to MB is in order...

Ferdball said:
tomt said:
Proper adjustment would be to just be able to see the side of the car when your head is next to the glass...
If my head was next to the glass, which is where the camera is positioned, I see half of the car. So, from my normal driving position, I am really close to seeing the outside door handles.

Already did. They blew me off. Since now I know others don't have the same problem, I'll try again at the next visit. Thanks all.

FB,

For what it is worth, I looked at my drivers side mirror today and see the same as you. Square with the wheel and with the mirror maneuvered furthest away, I see the side of my car, the next lane, and can only see the second next lane about five cars back in the background. I like this position but it sounds like you might require something else.

JeffRay said:
FB,

For what it is worth, I looked at my drivers side mirror today and see the same as you. Square with the wheel and with the mirror maneuvered furthest away, I see the side of my car, the next lane, and can only see the second next lane about five cars back in the background. I like this position but it sounds like you might require something else.
I do. With the B pillar being as large as it is and right next to my head, it adds to the blind spot that the mirror doesn't cover. So I'd prefer the mirror to point out to where a car may be coming from if we were to merge into the same lane at the same time. I feel that being able to see the side of the car is more like having an extra rear-view, instead of a side-view.

The position that you describe is actually not recommended as the mirrors are too far in to eliminate blind spots. You should not be able to see either side of your car from your side-view mirrors with your head in the center of steering wheel position... http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default/files/features/mirrors/CarTalkMirrors.pdf

JeffRay said:
Square with the wheel and with the mirror maneuvered furthest away, I see the side of my car, the next lane, and can only see the second next lane about five cars back in the background. I like this position but it sounds like you might require something else.

Having driven Honda's for 28 years before my 2 Mercedes and having driven 100s of rental cars I can tell you this; Mercedes mirrors particularly on the MFA body types (A-Class, B-Class, CLA-Class and GLA Class) do not have the field of view that most people are used to if you are coming from another manufacturer.

Just something you get used to. MY B Class has Blind Spot assist which helps. My CLA does not but I will make sure I will get it on my next Benz.

Wow. Never knew this. I was trained (a long time ago) to peek over my shoulder when changing lanes and I reflexively still do most of the time. I guess I will have to pay attention to the embedded triangles although this is the first car I have with that feature.

I just had a neck fusion, and now this lack of side view is even more of an issue. I've been searching for a drivers side mirror that is either convex, or one that eliminates the blind spot, but haven't been successful.

Does anyone know of a vendor that might sell a blind spot side view mirror for our car?

go to target and buy a $1.99 blind spot mirror, i use it on all my cars except the b which has the blind spot assist

Ferdball said:
Already did. They blew me off. Since now I know others don't have the same problem, I'll try again at the next visit. Thanks all.

I have the same problem. It's the physical limit of the mirror, and it depends on how far the seat is from the wheel, too, and of course on your head position. Different people will have different results.

For my Audis I imported the European aspherical mirrors, but the heated and self-dimming flavor costs a fortune (about $600 a piece), so I won't do it for this car. I simply stuck a round blind spot mirror on it. Ugly but functional.

IMG_5093.JPG

I just found this for my Mazda.

I've been talking to a vendor regarding making a mirror for us. But unless there are 20 people to buy it, he won't make them. And I don't think there is enough interest on this forum. Here's what he said.

Left Side in US/Canada is flat glass. We need and order of at least 20 glasses or more to be able to help you with a wide-angle glass. In which case we also will ask you to buy a heated glass from us (Glass + Plastic backing plate) as a wide-angle glass is curved and can NOT be simply stick on a flat glass.

Back