Installation of the front license plate

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aparkeror

I got my plates in the mail and the front license plate bracket doesn't seem to fit. Do holes need to be drilled into the bumper? I am wondering if I received the correct bracket. Here are images of the bracket I received.

IMG_20150405_131121.jpg

IMG_20150405_131132.jpg

IMG_20150405_131139.jpg

My dealer said they had to drill holes when i get my plates. i gasped and said maybe it can be installed in the mesh??

Folks, this is a MB. Bring it in to dealer and make them do it while you wait in the coffee lounge. We paid for luxury and they need to deliver the goodies.

Ask the dealership to install the license plate for you. May want to be careful, when drilling if yoru front bumper has the Parktronic sensors with cables running behind.
If your car is registered in California, the front license plate is mandatory, unless you want to risk getting a ticket.

Seriously, have the dealer do it. Installing that isn't the new vehicle owners job regardless of brand. Let alone a Benz.

I had the same issue. Here's a solution I modified from http://www.licenseplatebracketcentral.com/front-plate-bracket-diy-no-drill-license-plate-bracket/ at and it worked. The basic ideas is to bolt an adjustable bracket that you can get at http://www.amazon.com/Bell-Automoti...14&sr=8-1&keywords=bell+license+plate+bracket
adapter.jpg
to the holes in the mesh.

The original guide used toggle bolts to hold the bracket to the mesh, but the B class mesh has holes that are too small for this to work (at least with the toggle bolts I had available), but using this basic idea, I cut a 1/4" thick piece of hard plastic (some scrap acrylic I had lying around) to a pair of diamond shape nuts that would just fit into the holes in the mesh. I drilled and tapped holes in them to allow the bolts to screw on, and I used a file to grind little grooves into the corners to grab the mesh. Then I slipped these through the mesh, with a couple of washers on the bolts to provide some spacing, turned the bolts 45 degrees so they wouldn't come out, and tightened the bolts. It sounds complicated, but since I have a garage workshop with a bandsaw, drill, etc it only took about 5 minutes and it came out really well. My only concern is that if I bump into something and hit the license plate, it will transfer the load ot the mesh, not the bumper, and likely cause the mesh to pop out. I'll probably end up drilling holes in the bumper (or having the dealer do it next time I visit) and using the supplied bracket, but wasn't mentally prepared yet to drill holes in my new car, and am not interested in making a special trip to the dealer just for this. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the nuts that I made whie I was installing them, but here is a sketch and some photos of the finished job:
nut.jpg

front.jpg

side.jpg

closeup.jpg

Back