Is there a onboard Timer on B Class? and the best EV charger

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, went with the JESLA. I'm going to set up the 10-30 style dryer outlet first, then in the spring when the snow melts I'll tackle the 50amp outlet off my sub panel.

We have family we visit that would be at the edge of a comfortable range round trip so bringing the JESLA and using their garage dryer outlet would give us plenty of cushion.

Other than the portability and multi rate, seems like the Siemens is the best choice for the $.

I installed my new Juice Box classic in series with an electronic switch from Intermatic so that I could charge at night just as some other users posted to this thread. I wanted to be able to connect the J1772 plug to my car and leave it for the night while the EVSE only became energized at a later time. However, I have discovered that charging doesn't begin automatically and I need to depress and release the latch (while still inserted in the plug) sometime after the EVSE is energized in order for it to supply AC. I suspect that the latch sends some trigger signal that initiates the control pilot. I'm hoping that someone has encountered something similar and can help me...

That doesn't sound right. Have you contacted emw?

I'm probably the one you're talking about with the Intermaric timer, and it works as expected.

I don't know where you live, but if you're in the sdge service area and are in TOU2, then charging during the day doesn't cost much more than at night. As long as you solve this by April...

I've used a Intermatic timer now for 7 months, however with a Clipper Creek unit, and it works fine. It takes about 2-3 seconds for the vehicle to start charging, after power is turned on to the unit.

Ray

OK, I got motivated to do more tests on delayed charging since it's into May and the rate schedule has changed over. I really want to delay charge after 9PM- and it works if I leave the car unlocked. Since I park the car in the driveway every night this isn't very practical. So to re-cap: I program delayed charging with the intermatic timer, I plug the B-ED even 5 min before the relay clicks on, then I lock the vehicle, and nothing happens (after 5 min). However, if I leave the car unlocked the whole time, then the car starts charging 2 - 5 sec after power is available from the EVSE. Now this does seem to rule out anything faulty with my EVSE (juice box classic 40A).
Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Something seems wrong. I just tested with my car and timer. Car is in garage, but here's what I did to test:

1. Opened charging door.
2. Locked car
3. Plugged in charger (currently timer was off)
4. Waited about 30 seconds
5. Hit the override button on the timer, which turns it on/off immediately.
6. Approximately 5 seconds later the car was charging just fine

Should I have tried something different? I couldn't lock the car until I had opened the charging door. Originally tried in reverse order, and when the car is locked, the charging door was also locked.

So, I tried with a timed charge last night. It worked perfectly for me. Timer was set to come on at midnight, and this morning my car is at 100% charge. Here's what I did:

* Opened charge door
* Locked car
* Plugged in charger (was not on)
* Timer set to come on at midnight

I use a Clipper Creek, 20A 240V charger. I believe it's the LCS-25P or something like that. I've never had an issue with it, using the timer or not. This was my first test with doors locked, as my car is in a garage when charging.

I am using a JuiceBox Pro to charge starting at midnite when PG&E will sell me power @ 9 cent per kwh. It sends me an email around 2:30 AM telling me its done:

JuiceBox finished, 26.455 kWHrs added in 2h:26min from 2015-05-06 00:00:30, ID=...xxxx

Johnsie said:
I am using a JuiceBox Pro to charge starting at midnite when PG&E will sell me power @ 9 cent per kwh. It sends me an email around 2:30 AM telling me its done:

JuiceBox finished, 26.455 kWHrs added in 2h:26min from 2015-05-06 00:00:30, ID=...xxxx

Same here. JuiceBox works well and I get emails as well.
Btw, I talked to EMW and they were kind enough to give me a discount code to share with my friends (that just bought EVs).
You can use "EVPERK" code to get 5% off if anyone needs it. :lol:

Did you guys happen to charge with your vehicle locked? akakak mentions that with his JuiceBox that it works fine if the car is unlocked, but not if it is locked. I don't personally see that with my charger, but I don't have JB.

rdavis0521 said:
Did you guys happen to charge with your vehicle locked? akakak mentions that with his JuiceBox that it works fine if the car is unlocked, but not if it is locked. I don't personally see that with my charger, but I don't have JB.

Works fine for me whether locked or unlocked. Actually, iI think it often lock by itself after a minute. I will check later today.

Works fine for me whether locked or unlocked. Actually, iI think it often lock by itself after a minute. I will check later today.

That would be interesting. IF I simply turn off the car and exit without locking, the doors do not automatically lock. However, IF they are locked, and I hit the unlock on the key fob, if I don't open a door within some period of time (30-60 seconds?), then the car will re-lock itself.

It works fine for me even when the car is locked. JuiceBox pro, set to begin charging at 11 pm which is when my lowest TOU rate kicks in.

pavan said:
It works fine for me even when the car is locked. JuiceBox pro, set to begin charging at 11 pm which is when my lowest TOU rate kicks in.
Just tried - works for me as well...

My OpenEVSE unit charged just fine last night with the car locked using the EVSE timer.

I will say the first time I tried to open the door with the car locked it freaked me out. Given the problems the RAV4 EV has had with their door release I was relieved to find out it locks when the car is locked. If you lock the car with the door open it will still charge.

I didn't read all 6 pages but the best B-Class Charger is the portable Jesla charger. What a great piece of engineering. Plus is says TESLA. I love mine. www.quickchargepower.com

I own a Jesla cable, and have never yet used it. I do have one problem with the possibility of using it. Actually it's more a problem with the car, but between the two there is a potential problem area.

Neither the car, nor the cable has a way to dial down the amperage. The Jesla cable will based upon the attached adapter set the amperage. As I have traveled around the country, I routinely for fun look at PlugShare to find out what is in the area. I have found at a number of hotels that they provide a 14-50 plug, but it's backed by a 30A circuit breaker.

So, if I plugged that in with my car, it would attempt to pull 40A and pop the breaker (I assume). Actually the car should have a way to dial down the charging rate, but it doesn't. The Tesla, which the cable was designed for, does.

The only answer I've been given was to cut one of the pins of the 14-30 adapter, and that will limit the current to 24A. I guess I could personally make a 14-30 to 14-15 adapter, such that I could plug in and only draw 24A at a 14-50 plug, but also seems a bit jury-rigged. As I mentioned, I haven't needed to use this Jesla yet, so it's by no means critical, and I hope that MB will come out with a software upgrade to allow adjustable charging rate.

PS: Actually it does have an adjustable current rating, but it's values are very low, and it appears it's intent was for the 110 cable supplied with the car, because I believe it goes something like 8,10,12,Max amps. I have read elsewhere in this forum that setting this maximum charge current setting does affect 220 based charging as well, however, there needs to be values between 12 and 40. Even if they were just the more common ones like 16, 20, 24, 30, 32.

rdavis0521 said:
I own a Jesla cable, and have never yet used it. I do have one problem with the possibility of using it. Actually it's more a problem with the car, but between the two there is a potential problem area.

Neither the car, nor the cable has a way to dial down the amperage. The Jesla cable will based upon the attached adapter set the amperage. As I have traveled around the country, I routinely for fun look at PlugShare to find out what is in the area. I have found at a number of hotels that they provide a 14-50 plug, but it's backed by a 30A circuit breaker.

So, if I plugged that in with my car, it would attempt to pull 40A and pop the breaker (I assume). Actually the car should have a way to dial down the charging rate, but it doesn't. The Tesla, which the cable was designed for, does.

The only answer I've been given was to cut one of the pins of the 14-30 adapter, and that will limit the current to 24A. I guess I could personally make a 14-30 to 14-15 adapter, such that I could plug in and only draw 24A at a 14-50 plug, but also seems a bit jury-rigged. As I mentioned, I haven't needed to use this Jesla yet, so it's by no means critical, and I hope that MB will come out with a software upgrade to allow adjustable charging rate.

PS: Actually it does have an adjustable current rating, but it's values are very low, and it appears it's intent was for the 110 cable supplied with the car, because I believe it goes something like 8,10,12,Max amps. I have read elsewhere in this forum that setting this maximum charge current setting does affect 220 based charging as well, however, there needs to be values between 12 and 40. Even if they were just the more common ones like 16, 20, 24, 30, 32.

I believe if you use a lower current adapter it will use that adapter to set the max current. IE a 30A adapter would set the current to 30A max. I am far from an expert on over priced EVSE's but that is my understanding.

PM Tony Williams, head of Quick Charge Power for very good support.

If a NEMA 14-50 is on a 30 amp circuit, IT IS UNSAFE and done incorrectly. Please don't use it. I seriously doubt that Mercedes will allow adjustable amperage (like Tesla does on their cars),

JELSA ships with NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15 plugs, a padlock, plus a carrying bag. Additionally, you may want to buy the correct plug for the amperage requested.

...........................................VOLTS / AMPS.....kW
NEMA 5-15* ......Standard Outlet.. 120 V / 12 A...... 1.4 kW
NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 120 V / 16A....... 1.9 kW
NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW
NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers...... 240 V / 24 A...... 5.8 kW (out of stock)
NEMA 14-50*.....RV Parks ........... 240 V / 40 A...... 9.6 kW

*included plugs

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JESLA-is-THE-40-amp-J1772-portable-charging-solution-JESLA.htm

Back