Malfunction - Visit Workshop

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdball

I got this when charging mid-day a few days ago. I turned the key off and back on, and it was gone. It hasn't come back either. Is it worth going in and getting codes pulled, or is this another minor/temporary warning that can be safely ignored?

IMG_2079.JPG

Is that "Park" MIL also part of it? There was a thread where people were getting a "drive to workshop without shifting" warning that MB said to ignore until the programming update was ready.

I had put in another posting that I have had the same message now twice. Each time, it was after disconnecting from a specific public charging station. I use that rarely, so I think it may be related to the charging connection. In both cases, the car seemed to properly charge otherwise.

Call the dealer and see what they say. The new C class actually has the functionability to read the codes remotely through MBrace. Wouldn't that be nice right about now.

The "malfunction - visit work shop" occurred two times with my car while charging, and one time when disconnected the charger. I checked the manual and it said this problem related to "battery insulation". I brought my car to the dealer for checking and would pick it up today.

Will keep you guys posted.

sendler2112 said:
Call the dealer and see what they say. The new C class actually has the functionability to read the codes remotely through MBrace. Wouldn't that be nice right about now.
Do you mean MBrace, or this thing. Because I've never been able to get this working.
IMG_2113.PNG

venus9 said:
The "malfunction - visit work shop" occurred two times with my car while charging, and one time when disconnected the charger. I checked the manual and it said this problem related to "battery insulation". I brought my car to the dealer for checking and would pick it up today.

Dealer said the issue was fixed by updating the software.

That's good to know. If it wasn't there before, did the Eco+ mode become available through the Eco/Sport mode selector after the software update?

So, that is a bit strange, but it matches something I've seen with a couple of other owners. I've called the MBrace people and customer care, and asked repeatedly if there is a software update for the B-Class. I've been told there are no "general" updates.

However, it definitely appears that if you go in, and have codes read, that there are some "specific" updates for codes that have appeared. So, I don't know if this is a very targeted update (i.e. the one cause of a specific code), or a full update which has a similar fix.

This happened to me today. I got a second message that said to pull over and not drive the car. I started to have it towed but the messages disappear and MBrace told me to drive it into the dealer as it would be faster than the towing service.

The car is there now. Hopefully it's just a software update.

The only thing different was that just before the message came on, I tried sport mode for the first time. It worked fine. I parked and had lunch and when I came back to the car, I got the messages.

I'll keep everyone posted. The car has 900 miles on it.

Dealer called. All that was needed was a software update. I'll get the details when I pick up the car on Friday and post them.

Picked up the car this morning. I drove it home and it was fine but I do have some concerns.

1. I could not select the ECO+ mode. I was able to before the software update. The car was only 48% charged so I'll reserve final judgement on ECO+ after I have fully charged the car. I did try to restart the car a few times but that did not help.

2. The mpkWh reading on the "from reset" screen read 12.4 mpkWh which is impossible. I was surprised the software update didn't just clear this screen.

3. On my ride home I only got 1.8 mpkWh which was low. I suspect that the car sat outside at the dealership and that may have effected range. I hope the software update did not negatively effect the range on a permanent basis.

4. The E-Cell indicator was not and did not hit 100% the whole ride home. I know that this can vary but up until today, it's always been at 100%. Again, hoping that this was because the car was outside in the cold for a few days.

5. The regenerative braking when following cars on the highway kicked in better than before (I'm happy about this).

I'll post more latter today. I'll also post the service invoice information.

Here is what was listed on the service invoice. My interpretation of it was that the error codes that were registered were related to the PAWL on the automatic transmission but the PAWL tested fine. Since the error messages were similar to a service bulletin for a different problem, they performed the software update and cleared the codes, There test drive did not find any residual problems so they released the car to me.

Not a warm and fuzzy feeling but we will see how it goes. Here is the info from the service invoice.

J# 1 07MBZ06 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HOURS: 0.60 TECH(S) XXXXX WARRANTY
Cust states that the car stated malfunction and to pull over and
call roadside.
SHORT TEST CODE P141F93,U021283,U016887,U014987 IN POWER
TRAIN MODULE . TEST FOR PARKING PAWL PASS AT THIS TIME
FOUND LI26.00P059641 DOES NOT DIRECTLY APPLY . BUT RECEIVES
THIS SAME WARNING MESSAGE DRIVE TO WORKSHOP WITHOUT SHIFTING
GEARS RECOMMEND PERFORMING POWER TRAIN CONTROL UNIT UPDATE
PERFORMED POWER TRAIN CONTROL UNIT SOFTWARE UPDATE AND
DOCUMENTED . FUNCTION TESTED ON TEST DRIVE AND CLEARED ALL CODES

venus9 said:
venus9 said:

Venus9,

I lost my Eco+ after my software update. I have a question for you. Did you have the Eco+ mode before the update and do you have it now after your update?

Bumping the thread.

Since the software update, even though I don't have an Eco+ mode, by using the Echo mode and reseting the odometer that says " since last reset ", I get a much better estimate of range on the GoM. It starts at 75 miles on a full charge and is much closer to what is actually happening.

( I still rely on Battery Percentage more than the GoM).

Venus9, very interested to hear from you if you lost or gained the ECO+ mode.

JupiterRed said:
venus9 said:
venus9 said:

Venus9,

I lost my Eco+ after my software update. I have a question for you. Did you have the Eco+ mode before the update and do you have it now after your update?

JupiterRed,

My car did not have the E+ when we bought it. I wish I could have it.

I may be in the minority on this. But it doesn't seem that this mode get you anything that cannot be accomplished with standard E mode. I really don't need to be forced from doing jackrabbit starts, and I can turn down the fan manually. So to me the E+ mode seems to be a bit of a nonevent. I have gotten almost 100 miles out of a standard charge driving in E mode. I really doubt that it would do much better. I guess time will tell as others get a chance to try this mode.

Back