Noob B-Class questions

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullins23

Hi all,

Just picked up my new B-Class on Monday and absolutely love it. Have a few noob questions as this is my first EV

At what point should I be concerned I will run out of juice?

I've noticed, I think, that the mileage gauge is completely useless. I don't yet have a Lvl 2 charger at home, so I lose about 10% each day even after charging. I assume the battery % is the most important thing to pay attention to....?

Any recommendations for a Lvl 2 plug in charger? My electrician like to charge me through the roof so I'd prefer installing just a 240V out as opposed to it being hardwired. I've been looking at the Boesch.

Thanks for taking the time to help out a new EV owner. Many more to come!!

Nick

I was thinking about reducing cost of EVSE Level 2 install, so decided to install NEMA 14-50 outlet with 50 amps circuit (typical electrician job) and buy charger with matching plug.
So, the choices are:
JuiceBox 40 (selected)
JAMP Jr (not yet available, ETA - few weeks)
Jesla (well reviewed)
Quote for work: (outlet + 12 ft cable to panel + repositioning breakers in el. panel) is $440+tax

I did a very long trip on day to near the cars limit. Just like a regular car, a yellow light came on with 9 miles left. There was a warning to charge soon. Car did not change method of operating; that is there was no reduction in power.

I have the wired Bosch charger. I like it. I guess you could get great a slightly faster charger, but level 2 seems fast enough for most everyday use. Charger about $550 on Amazon and was $500 to install. Still waiting for my rebate.

One thing to consider in picking level 2 chargers is whether you need to schedule battery charging. I have time-of-use electricity rate plan with off peak hours after bedtime so I ended up picking the JuiceBox Pro because it has scheduling function for weekdays and weekend that you can control from a mobile or web app.

You should focus on the battery % for range where 10% is about 2.8Kwh which should get you 6 to 9 miles depending on terrain and temperature.

For level -2 charge station, see this another active topic with heading "B-Class Home Charge Station". Few have posted options and pictures.

I went ahead with JESLA (around $1050). Installed a T103 timer($55) for controlling the timing of my charge. Other materials (6-guage romex cable, plug point for wall) and labor at $150.

GGV said:
I was thinking about reducing cost of EVSE Level 2 install, so decided to install NEMA 14-50 outlet with 50 amps circuit (typical electrician job) and buy charger with matching plug.
So, the choices are:
JuiceBox 40 (selected)
JAMP Jr (not yet available, ETA - few weeks)
Jesla (well reviewed)
Quote for work: (outlet + 12 ft cable to panel + repositioning breakers in el. panel) is $440+tax

Installing a 14-50 is a good move. NEC stops at the receptacle. That allows you to use unapproved EVSEs like the Juicebox or the OpenEVSE. If it is hard wired NEC applies to the whole EVSE.

Unless you need a small portable EVSE or you are rich the Jesla is a lot of money. Look into Clipper Creek for a factory EVSE. Be aware 40A is expensive. If you can live with 30A you can save a lot of money. The Clipper Creek model number refers to the circuit needed not the charging current.

I'm so happy with the Jesla. I suppose I would get the JAMP JR if I were in the market today. Definitely get a 40 Amp circuit /50 Amp breaker. 40 Amp (9.6 kW) charging is at least 35% faster than "regular" 30 Amp charging. So you can get 30-35 % of charge per hour back into your battery as opposed to 20% per hour. There is also a Leviton Unit on Amazon that looks pretty good for $699-- you add your own plug (14-50 type recommended) : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG1479A?colid=PVT6EU294IH2&coliid=I2NNIVMSVKL9IX&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

But the JESLA is so elegant and so portable the only thing the Wall Units have going for them is the J1772 hanger.

wtzouris said:
I'm so happy with the Jesla. I suppose I would get the JAMP JR if I were in the market today. Definitely get a 40 Amp circuit /50 Amp breaker. 40 Amp (9.6 kW) charging is at least 35% faster than "regular" 30 Amp charging. So you can get 30-35 % of charge per hour back into your battery as opposed to 20% per hour. There is also a Leviton Unit on Amazon that looks pretty good for $699-- you add your own plug (14-50 type recommended) : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DG1479A?colid=PVT6EU294IH2&coliid=I2NNIVMSVKL9IX&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

But the JESLA is so elegant and so portable the only thing the Wall Units have going for them is the J1772 hanger.

I guess many buying the B are rich. In my case I purchased a subsidized car that would normally be out of my price range. Paying over a grand for an EVSE is not an option for me.

Actually the gauge is the best indicator of state of charge. The mileage indicator is calculated -- for other cars (Volt) some call it the guess-o-meter. I have found you can reset it to get a more accurate number on the number of miles. You have to scroll past the trip odometer to reset the mileage number.

I just put my Clipper Creek charger I had for the Volt (6 months old) on ebay -- to get a faster charge (4.6 kwh vs 7.7 kwh). Would take about 6 Hours to charge from 0 with the current charger, 3.5 with the new Clipper Creek I am getting. Installed the 14-50 in the garage cost $450.

Faster is better - the MBe can charge at 9.6kwh and as stated, it was a $300 jump in cost to go from 7.7kwh to 11kwh.

I like waking up with a full "tank". You should also think about Workplace Charging which may give you an option that can save the bigger initial outlay.

Back