Order/Pre-order/Build date info thread

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

I wanted to start a thread on this forum for everyone who has ordered a B-Class EV. I'd like to compare build dates etc...

I went with Arctic White for the color, and my dealership said that build date was sometime in the first half of May! :D

Mercedes just announced the pricing for the US: $41,450 - which is only $100 more than the BMW i3.

I think the range will be the real kicker - can MB really deliver 3-digit ranges like they've been promising? If so, then it's a no-brainer for me. I can imagine the i3 Rex will still get some people, but I'm really liking the way the B-Class EV is shaping up!

I expect that the loss of the white sticker in California will considerably limit Rex sales... Personally, I consider the Rex to be just silly... I'm looking to replace my Leaf when the lease is up and so far, the MB is high on the list...

klaus said:
I can imagine the i3 Rex will still get some people, but I'm really liking the way the B-Class EV is shaping up!

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I ordered a B Class Electric Drive in April from Rusnak Mercedes in Arcadia. I chose Arctic White with Ash MB-Tex, Premium 1 Package, Multimedia package, Parktronic, and Recuperation Paddles. I received a build date of May 12th.

I have been interested in the B Class EV since I first read about it and I'm even more excited now that the press has been getting test drives in Sunnyvale and the reviews have been very positive.

Steve L.
Studio City, CA

The four lease on my Leaf is up in early 2015. I want to test drive one first before I make the final decision, but if it lives up to my expectations, I will likely order one for delivery around that time... (I pre-ordered my Leaf nearly a year before delivery.) By then, I hope they will also have resolved any initial problems... I'm also hoping that QC is available by then as that is one big drawback to the B compared to the Leaf...

Did you not get the P58 range package?

stevepl said:
I'm in the Los Angeles area and I ordered a B Class Electric Drive in April from Rusnak Mercedes in Arcadia. I chose Arctic White with Ash MB-Tex, Premium 1 Package, Multimedia package, Parktronic, and Recuperation Paddles. I received a build date of May 12th. I have been interested in the B Class EV since I first read about it and I'm even more excited now that the press has been getting test drives in Sunnyvale and the reviews have been very positive.

For those that were curious, here is a list of options that were listed early this year. These may not be the current options for the official rollout.

Exterior Color

Night Black (696)
Jupiter Red (589)
Arctic White (650)
South Seas Blue (162)
Cosmos Black (191)
Mountain Grey (787)
Polar Silver (761)
Universe Blue (894)
Northern Lights Violet (592)
Designo Mountain Grey Magno (662)

Interior Color

Black MB-Tex (151)
Beige MB-Tex (155)
Ash MB-Tex (808)
Black Leather (801)
Brown Leather (804)
Ash Leather (808)

Interior Options

Anthracite Trim (H89)
Burl Walnut Wood Trim (H03)
Ash Black Trim (736)

Premium Package (P01)
Garage Door Opener, compass, auto dimming mirrors, iPod interface, Sirius radio, Harmon/kardon sound, heated seats, bi-xenon headlights

Multimedia Package (320)
Command system w/ hard drive navigation, rear view camera

Interior Package (318)
Leather upholstery, artico on dash and doors, IR remote summer/open close on driver door

Range Package (P58)
Heated Windshield, range button for extended range function (approximately 17 more miles of range), additional isolation of doors and roof

Stand Alone Options

Rear View Camera (218)
Blind Spot Assist (234)
Parktronic with park assist (235)
iPod interface (518)
SiriusXM (536)
Black Ash Dash Trim (736)
Burl Walnut Wood Trim (H03)
Recuperation Paddles (B50)
Heated Seats (873)

I am studying hard about what electric car to replace my 2012 LEAF before or when my lease expires on 7 May 2015. I am looking for one that I can drive easily from Blacksburg VA to Roanoke VA and back without having to charge in Roanoke:

2015 LEAF: I am disappointed that Nissan is not going to make available a much longer range option for the LEAF in 2015; it looks to happen in 2017. It is attractive that the current and 2015 EPA 84-mile range is larger than my 2012’s EPA 73-mile range, especially since my LEAF’s battery has lost about 15% of its capacity, as measured by the after-market Gid SOC meter. (No capacity bar has disappeared yet, but I expect to lose the top one soon.) I think the 84-mile range in ECO mode would make the trip to Roanoke and back ok.

Tesla Model S 60-kWh (EPA range 208 miles): It is a large car: it just barely would fit in our garage. I could afford it if we cut back on other expenditures. I drove one in Raleigh NC about a month ago and driving it is an experience not available in any other car. The coming Tesla Superchargers all over the U.S. greatly adds to the attractiveness. Also, the effective 3-year lease is attractive. Of course, the 85-kWh version, with its 265-miles EPA range, would be even more attractive!

BMW i3 (EPA range 81 miles) or i3 REx: I drove the i3 in Winston-Salem NC a few weeks ago. It is about 1.5’ shorter than the LEAF, is very fast and turns shorter than the LEAF. It cost almost $10,000 more than the LEAF SL. I thought I would be interested in the REx with its 36-hp gasoline generator. However, the cost is ~$3800 greater than the i3 and the EPA electric range is reduced to 72 miles. A real bummer is that the U.S. version does not allow use of the REx engine to charge the battery at any time; it only automatically charges the battery when the battery capacity gets down to 6.5%. I have eliminated the i3 REx from my consideration, partly because the REx engine would have to come on when I drive home from Roanoke. Leasing it would cost ~$200 more per month than for the 2015 LEAF SL.

Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive (No EPA range yet, but 85 miles is expected): It cost almost $10,000 more than the LEAF SL. It has a not-explained option for more money to increase the range by ~15-20% to ~98-102 miles (?), which makes it more attractive to me. Its battery and electric motive system is manufactured by Tesla. Leasing it would cost ~$200 more per month than for the 2015 LEAF SL. When it becomes available I will have to go to Hagerstown MD to test drive it. I have not eliminated it from my consideration. It is the only compliance car in which I am interested. I would want a two-year lease. If the ~100-miles extended range is correct, this may be my choice for my next electric car. I would lease it for 2 or 3 years.

All other currently available BEVs are compliance cars that are converted gasoline cars in which I am not interested.

My long-term goal is leasing an electric car that has a range when new of at least 150-200 miles. I expect the range to decrease ~12% in 2 years and ~20% in 5 years.

roperld,

If it helps your decision, I read that a Mercedes representative mentioned in a press event that the Range Package would cost about $800. I imagine most people will opt for that.

Steve

I'm intrigued by the B Class EV but I'm worried that it will be like all the other compliance cars: not really available outside of the west coast states.

Considering it is basically just firmware and a push button, it IS something of a ripoff... The Range addition alone really should not be more than 100 bucks... For $800 it should also include QC capability. The lack of QC is the biggest strike against the MB in my opinion...

stevepl said:
If it helps your decision, I read that a Mercedes representative mentioned in a press event that the Range Package would cost about $800.

I just noticed a little detail that would really irk me: there is a key sticking out of the dash. Is Mercedes seriously going to not have a keyless start option on this EV?

jelloslug said:
I just noticed a little detail that would really irk me: there is a key sticking out of the dash. Is Mercedes seriously going to not have a keyless start option on this EV?

My thoughts EXACTLY! I've had smart keys in my cars since 2006. This would be a HUGE step backwards. I can live with no sunroof, because I can have one installed, but no smart key - are they serious?

PatricioEV said:
jelloslug said:

My thoughts EXACTLY! I've had smart keys in my cars since 2006. This would be a HUGE step backwards. I can live with no sunroof, because I can have one installed, but no smart key - are they serious?
I can understand the philosophy of wanting to make it not look ultra modern or odd but come on, that is verging on "quaint". It makes me wonder if there will be a standard tape deck also...

Agreed! A key is so 20th century and completely foreign to the concept of an EV. I saw it and wondered - hopefully - if it was simply a prototype thing... Even if it is not actually a key but a fob that you place in the hole, it is totally out of context with a modern, high-tech, vehicle! It just looks and feels cheap!

jelloslug said:

tomt said:
Agreed! A key is so 20th century and completely foreign to the concept of an EV. I saw it and wondered - hopefully - if it was simply a prototype thing... Even if it is not actually a key but a fob that you place in the hole, it is totally out of context with a modern, high-tech, vehicle! It just looks and feels cheap!

jelloslug said:
I poked around on some of the MB sites in other countries and I could not find an option to even equip as an option in any country that I picked. Frankly that could be a real deal-breaker for me as that would be just another thing that is missing coming from my Leaf.

On YouTube there is a recent video of the B Class Electric manufacturing assembly line. They show many details of the build process. You may see your answers to the "key" issue there.

Steve

Back