Order/Pre-order/Build date info thread

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stevepl said:
On YouTube there is a recent video of the B Class Electric manufacturing assembly line. They show many details of the build process. You may see your answers to the "key" issue there.

Steve
I have watched that video; all the scenes show either a keyhole in the dash or a key in the keyhole. Also, on the preliminary US option sheet that was linked here there was nothing about a Keyless-go option.

I found this on the web pagehttp://ibnlive.in.com/news/2012-mercedesbenz-bclass-first-drive/216424-25-169.html about the gasoline version of the B-Class:

"Thankfully, Mercedes has retreated from the headlong dash to provide keyless-go (which it originally introduced on the S-Class); the new B has an old-fashioned key to open the car and start the engine."

So, it appears that the Mercedes B-Class ED will not have the smart key that all other BEVs have! What a bummer!!

As shown in the video I list above, for Keyless Go one has the option of using a removable button to start the car or using the fob after the button is removed. This as more clumsy than the way it is for the Prius. What happens if you lose the removable button?

Looks like something needs to stick in the dash (taken from mbusa.com B-Class Electric Drive build page) :
2015-B-CLASS-ELECTRIC-DRIVE-MBTEX-101-BYO-D-01.jpg

What possible reason would there be to remove the start button and use it as a conventional key? Why would anyone really want to do that...

roperld said:
If you watch the Keyless Go movie I listed above you will see that it has the feature that the start button can be removed so that the driver can put the fob in the hole where the button was to use it to start the car.

Back