Range 'o'meter

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to do two things:

1) reset your miles per kwh display at the total level (not trip)
2) stop racing around town

the GOM is a direct result of your driving history @ the battery capacity. Your battery will always have 28kwh available at full charge * the miles per kwh that you use in your own personal driving style.

if you start coasting more, anticipate and use the minus paddle to come to a stop (or close to it) you will see your numbers on the meter go higher, I think the reset will put it at or close to 3 miles per kwh (3*28 = 84)

SocalBClassED said:
Folks, New owner of ED in Southern Cal.

For few days I am observing that it charges 100% for 60 miles only. Is that normal?

Thanks for your input.

I also had that similar number come up the first few charges. It was a concern at first. After 300 miles, mine now reads around 72 miles after charge. I have yet to do a reset on the meter but probably will after a future recharge.

I used the range extender feature once and it went up to 85 miles after the charge.

Congratulations! What type of B Class did you get? Where in So Cal?

Matt

Johnsie is absolutely spot on. Newbies all drive aggressively in the first weeks after getting their jackrabbit MB Be. I did. Performance and range all settled into what others are getting once we no longer feel the need for speed off the mark and learn to coast to a stop without hitting the brakes until the end. I am transferring the car to my wife as I am taking the roadster out of hibernation and I fully expect her to experience lower range while she comes up the learning curve.

Johnsie said:
You need to do two things:

1) reset your miles per kwh display at the total level (not trip)
2) stop racing around town

the GOM is a direct result of your driving history @ the battery capacity. Your battery will always have 28kwh available at full charge * the miles per kwh that you use in your own personal driving style.

if you start coasting more, anticipate and use the minus paddle to come to a stop (or close to it) you will see your numbers on the meter go higher, I think the reset will put it at or close to 3 miles per kwh (3*28 = 84)

Thanks for prompt reply. How do I check if battery was 28kwh at 100% or there is some issue with my car.

2) stop racing around town --:)

JeffRay said:
Johnsie is absolutely spot on. Newbies all drive aggressively in the first weeks after getting their jackrabbit MB Be. I did. Performance and range all settled into what others are getting once we no longer feel the need for speed off the mark and learn to coast to a stop without hitting the brakes until the end. I am transferring the car to my wife as I am taking the roadster out of hibernation and I fully expect her to experience lower range while she comes up the learning curve.

Yap...Newbies all drive aggressively in the first weeks after getting their jackrabbit MB Be

sixpak said:
SocalBClassED said:

For few days I am observing that it charges 100% for 60 miles only. Is that normal?

Thanks for your input.

I also had that similar number come up the first few charges. It was a concern at first. After 300 miles, mine now reads around 72 miles after charge. I have yet to do a reset on the meter but probably will after a future recharge.

I used the range extender feature once and it went up to 85 miles after the charge.

Matt

Thanks Matt...In Laguna Niguel.
What type of B Class did you get? -- I believe there is only 1 model. Hmmm...need to find out...Please let me know how to look for it.

SocalBClassED said:
sixpak said:
SocalBClassED said:

Thanks for your input.

Matt

Thanks Matt...In Laguna Niguel.
What type of B Class did you get? -- I believe there is only 1 model. Hmmm...need to find out...Please let me know how to look for it.

Sorry, meant like year and color. Yes, there is only one model. We have a 2015 Mountain Grey and live in Cerritos.

According to its specs, the BCED (2015) has a battery capacity of 27.9 kWh. I am getting somewhere between 2.5 and 3.0 miles per kWh, according to the dash display. This is on my 10 miles daily commute, 50 mph over an expressway with lots of traffic lights. When I take the freeway over 22 miles, I am hitting slightly more than 3.0 mpkWh. Driving smoothly in D minus mode.

I believe but I would need to verfiy this: the available "range" displayed on the dash is a calculated average based on past history, since the last reset.

Look at the battery gauge like you'd look at the gasoline gauge in a regular car and do the math, keeping in mind that your mpkWh variance may fluctuate more than a variance expressed in mpg, depending on your driving habits.

Turning on the AC or heated seats does impact consumption.

I ran my first range test with the MB Today.. This is a country road trip we take sometimes to a nice town on the river for lunch. I knew from experience with my Focus Electric that I would get pretty good results. My Focus Electric would do this route and get 225 Wh/Mile (4.4 Mi/Kwh). Complete round trip to take out any elevation changes which can effect the range.

Start Battery % - 77%
End Battery Percentage - 21%
% Battery used - 56%
Miles Driven per Trip OD - 64 Miles
Guess o Meter Started at 54 Miles...I knew the trip was over 60 miles, but I knew the car would do it easily.

Estimated Range based on this trip.

1/0.56 X 64 = 114 Miles.

80 Degree day. We used the Air Conditioning about 30% of the time when the wife complained she was hot.
Average speed about 40 MPH.
Actual Consumption = 0.56 x 28 KwH (Battery capacity) = 15.68Kwh
Consumption per mi = 15680/64 = 245 Wh/mile or 4.1 Mi/Kwh
Indicator read for this trip 3.7 Mi/Kwh so it was off by a factor of 1.1.

With the Range Extender this would extrapolate to 128 Miles of range.

Interesting that the MB was only 10% less efficient than the Focus, but with 50% more battery it can go a lot further. MB took a very conservative approach to their EPA ratings and efficiency estimates where as with my Focus the ratings were in the middle of what I would achieve given the variables. (Temp, driving speed, etc.).

Based on this, my belief is this car has a easily a 100 mile range on reasonable weather days. The Guess o meter is useless in this car, it is always a very low estimate. My Focus did a much better job of estimating range.

I think the best thing to do is know the battery charge % and do some math. If you use the actual Mi/Kwh reading you will be conservative. In this case 3.7 x .77 (battery %) X 28 (battery capacity) = 80 miles was the range at the start of this trip based on the battery being only 77% full.

Absolutely Stretch. Look at percentage or gauge and do the math based on expected route and traffic. Comes with experience. GOM is okay for newbies to make sure they don't run out of volts although it can occasionally overestimate range when transitioning from highway to urban driving.

My wife has been driving our car for the last couple weeks and we've discovered a few things. After a few trips it seems to default back to the Mercedes calculations of needing to multiple everything by 1.2 to get the EPA ranges.

For example, 80% (or 100% with no range charge added) is 70 miles and 100% (with range charge button pushed) is 80 miles.
If we reset all the trip settings 80% (or 100% with no range charge added) is 84 miles and 100% (with range charge button pushed) is 95 miles. It seems to default back to the conservative Mercedes settings after a trip or two.

Today I took it to work at Tesla and reset everything before the trip and here is what I came up with.

Beginning range on a standard charge (Using 28 kWh of the battery, technically 80% but measured by the car as 100% of the standard charge since no range charge was added after a full reset of everything) Trip was on a Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon so light traffic with pretty easy cruise control conditions.

Start Trip
Battery showing 100% charged
Estimated range 83 miles
Distance traveled 24 miles, 2/3 freeway driving with cruise set on 70mph, interior heat set at 72 degrees, heated seats set on low. 200 foot elevation drop and 400 up during the trip.
Energy consumption 2.9 mpkWh
Estimated range at destination=60 miles
Battery showing 78% left.
Average speed 42 mph, outside average temperature 57 degrees.

Return Trip
Battery showing 78% charged
Estimated range 60 miles
Distance traveled 25 miles, 2/3 freeway with cruise set at 70mph, interior AC set to 72 degrees, 400 foot elevation drop, 200 up during trip.
Energy consumption 3.1 mpkWh
Estimated end range 39 miles
Battery showing 53% left
Average speed 41 mph, outside average temp 76 degrees

Totals
Distance traveled: 49 miles
Battery used: 47%
Estimated range used: 44 miles.
Average energy consumption according to the car: 3mpkWh
Assuming 28 kWh of usable energy the range would be 84 miles on a standard charge and 96 miles if using 32 kWh on a range charge. Maybe a little more if the range charge allows use of 33 or 33.5 kWh.

Back