Knob and Tube wiring in older home

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKE

Am thinking of getting a B class but I live in a 1930's home in the Pasadena area that has knob and tube wiring. Anyone have any problems with converting to 240v with knob and tube?

Most homes with knob and tube have very limited service. For 40A charging you need 50A free. The car follows the J1772 protocol so you could charge at 16A on a 20A circuit.

12A requires 15A, 16A requires 20A, 24A requires 30A, 32A requires 40A, and the full 40A requires a 50A circuit. All are 80% of the circuit max per NEC for an EVSE.

That is really not the sort of news I was hoping to hear, Lukeetal...

Thanks for the info, GlennD.

I should ask an electrician to inspect the wiring. Not having a technical background, it is hard to have context and know the right questions to ask. You just have to hope you get someone honest AND competent...

Anyone have any experience installing a system like this one?
54cb2f2b45361_-_pedal-power-01-0314-de.jpg

BKE said:

I should ask an electrician to inspect the wiring. Not having a technical background, it is hard to have context and know the right questions to ask. You just have to hope you get someone honest AND competent...

BKE - I'm not sure if you're being serious with the bike trainer battery charge system, but I also wouldn't automatically assume that you have to resort to such things for charging a car.
Do you have a garage?
Do you have a receptacle for a clothes dryer or a stove somewhere near your garage?
Is your circuit breaker or fuse box near your garage?
Would your car use require a recharge every day?
The 120v supply charging equipment that comes with the car would immediately work in any wall receptacle you've already got. This arrangement isn't satisfactory for most of us here, but I made do with the combination of that (30 hours or so required for a full charge, less for a partial) and public charging stations (4 hours) for a while until I installed a 240v circuit and charger in my garage to handle about half of my charging needs.
Figuring out how charging the car fits into your life is an important part of the decision that isn't much of an issue for petro-cars these days, and you're doing it right to figure that part out pre-purchase.

BKE said:

If this thing will stop you from putting a 13 amp or more continuous load on knob and tube wiring I pedal the think for you to prevent the inevitable fire.

Seriously knob and tube is as old as it gets. It's needs to be abandoned.

Rewire your house -- it will help your resale value and could save your life. Ever watch HGTV? They always replace knob and tube wiring in those Canadian homes they renovate.

Back