Best EVSE 240V charger

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinabalu

Been thinking a lot about what EVSE to buy for the car. Wondering if there was any way on the B to schedule it to start charging at a specific time? I know the Tesla's and some other EVs have that, but unsure where this option might be hiding no the B.

If not, I'd likely be looking at getting an EVSE that allowed scheduling to start charging only between certain hours of the day. I've heard that off-peak hours can be much much cheaper here at home $0.11 as opposed to $0.30+.

Thanks!

kinabalu said:
Been thinking a lot about what EVSE to buy for the car. Wondering if there was any way on the B to schedule it to start charging at a specific time? I know the Tesla's and some other EVs have that, but unsure where this option might be hiding no the B.

If not, I'd likely be looking at getting an EVSE that allowed scheduling to start charging only between certain hours of the day. I've heard that off-peak hours can be much much cheaper here at home $0.11 as opposed to $0.30+.

Thanks!

I did a lot of research when I bought my EVSE I think the best option for the MB is the Juicebox 40 amp version. A few key points:

-The juice box allows time charging (wireless version). I charge in the early morning hours and get a rate of about 9 cents a Kwh versus 19 cents normally. With no built in timed charger in the MB you will need this if you want to realistically take advantage of time of use rates.

-The juice box is a 40 amp charger (10Kwh) so you are taking full advantage of the 10Kwh onboard charger from Tesla. This will allow you to charge quickly. Sometimes I need to top off on the weekend if we have used the car a lot during the day and want to go somewhere that evening. Even if the car is down to 25% or so I can fully charge in 2.5 hours.

A few other EVSE have timers and a few go to 40 amps. I could not find any except the juicebox that have both a timer and 40 amp charging.

You also will be future proofed as 40 amps is plenty of power for home charging even for a future car with 200-300 miles of range. Tesla model S home charging is generally 40 amps, although you can go to 80 amps with dual chargers.

kinabalu said:

Thanks!

There is no charge timer on the B Class. Both OpenEVSE and the JuiceBox have built in timers that will work. If UL approval is important to you ( it is not to me) then neither one is approved. Both are J1772 compliant and have all of the safety devices like GFCI and stuck relay but the UL only approves complete devices. A simple change will require new approval. No DIY devices will ever be approved since parts are not good enough. It has to be a complete unit.

I live in Anaheim with single rate municipal power but I still charge late at night to be a good citizen with my OpenEVSE.

Another recommendation for the Juicebox 40 Amp Pro version. I came to the same conclusion after my research.

The initial wifi setup is a little awkward, but once you get past that it's all good.

- TOU setup is simple and you can quickly override it.
- Electric Motor Works has a new smart grid pilot program that optimizes charging to match usage with renewable energy sources.

So far looks like JuiceBox is winning the day. And since it is a portable charger, are you guys taking this with you on any trips where you might not find an actual charging station? After my 110mi trip and finding a 240v outlet, I want something fairly compact that I can put in the car when I plan these out next time.

Clipper Creek is favored if you need an UL approved EVSE. Their model numbers refer to the needed circuit not the output power.

kinabalu said:
So far looks like JuiceBox is winning the day. And since it is a portable charger, are you guys taking this with you on any trips where you might not find an actual charging station? After my 110mi trip and finding a 240v outlet, I want something fairly compact that I can put in the car when I plan these out next time.

I have not taken it with me but I could. It would just unplug and the electronics box slides out of its holder. It is a little bulky (mostly cable) but if you know there will be a NEMA 14-50 plug at your destination you could use it. There are also adaptors to other plug types.

GlennD said:
Clipper Creek is favored if you need an UL approved EVSE. Their model numbers refer to the needed circuit not the output power.

I was building EVSEs as a hobby in my retirement. If you follow the MNL juiceBox thread there is a link it the page twenties, As I recall it was twenty eight for purchasing the JuiceBox main board, PS, and relay for under $100. I built up and sold two units. For a basic no frills unit, they did the job. That said, I like building up OpenEVSE's more. There is more options on the OpenEvse units. Both have been reliable. I have had no failures with either unit.

From a personal stand point, there should be power and charging lights. The basic JuiceBox has none. I can not fault the design but it is not for me. The only the reason "50A" unit exists is that the car charger draws what it needs. I have found that the relay used is far from 80A. The armature connecting wires are not up to the load and they run really hot. It does make a great room heater!

A Mercedes B will draw 40A. An enhanced Leaf 27.5A. In both cases the "50A" unit will run cool. Just because the EVSE says it has 50A available, The car will draw what it needs and ignore the rest.

I just sold a 40A unit to a Fiat 500E owner. That 40A unit will never see over 30A! I expect the 50A contactor to run stone cold. The EVSE says it has 40A available but the car charger draws what it needs. In this case 30A.

My pet peeve is people that over buy their EVSE. A Leaf will fully charge at 27.5A from a 30A EVSE or the spec max 80A unit. It will not charge faster but it will ignore the excess. My Mercedes B will draw 40A max even if 50A is offered.

I went through this same evaluation when I bought our EVSE and the UL listing may or may not be a big deal to you depending on your city location.

Originally I ordered a Juicebox for the same reasons as above however when I found out it was not UL approved, I had to return it. The City of Los Angeles requires that it be UL approved and you have to get a building permit and LA-DWP inspection. Since adding the EVSE (of any brand) was going to be a very big expense for us (meter upgrade to 200As, meter relocation, pull back three conduits for the three circuit breaker boxes located throughout the house, installing a ground wire across the house, and add the EVSE circuit also across the house), I wasn't going to take the chance that they would not sign off on the inspection because of that requirement.

We ended up buying the Leviton box which is also rated for continuous 40A charging (50A circuit) and is UL approved. Since neither our B-Class or the Leviton box have builtin timers, I just had an Intermatic mechanical timer (40A) installed ahead of the Leviton box. It works great and I don't have to worry about websites or WiFi connections. The only maintenance is just to reset the clock after a power outage (not a big deal where we live).

Our box would also be considered a "portable" since it has a plug in cord similar to the Juicebox but it is really just a relocatable box (a box that you can take with yo if you move). I would not take it on the road with me anymore than I would a Juicebox.

For a truly portable, I'd look at the JESLA cord set which is basically a Tesla charger re-worked for J1772 vehicles and supports connectors for any normal electrical connection.

jphollywood said:
I went through this same evaluation when I bought our EVSE and the UL listing may or may not be a big deal to you depending on your city location.

Originally I ordered a Juicebox for the same reasons as above however when I found out it was not UL approved, I had to return it. The City of Los Angeles requires that it be UL approved and you have to get a building permit and LA-DWP inspection. Since adding the EVSE (of any brand) was going to be a very big expense for us (meter upgrade to 200As, meter relocation, pull back three conduits for the three circuit breaker boxes located throughout the house, installing a ground wire across the house, and add the EVSE circuit also across the house), I wasn't going to take the chance that they would not sign off on the inspection because of that requirement.

We ended up buying the Leviton box which is also rated for continuous 40A charging (50A circuit) and is UL approved. Since neither our B-Class or the Leviton box have builtin timers, I just had an Intermatic mechanical timer (40A) installed ahead of the Leviton box. It works great and I don't have to worry about websites or WiFi connections. The only maintenance is just to reset the clock after a power outage (not a big deal where we live).

Our box would also be considered a "portable" since it has a plug in cord similar to the Juicebox but it is really just a relocatable box (a box that you can take with yo if you move). I would not take it on the road with me anymore than I would a Juicebox.

For a truly portable, I'd look at the JESLA cord set which is basically a Tesla charger re-worked for J1772 vehicles and supports connectors for any normal electrical connection.

The Tesla and as such the "J" version is not UL approved. The paired wires are #8 equivalent and the ground is only #12. You and I know that over 20Ma triggers a fault condition but UL is UL. It must be #8 or #10. The ground must be the same size or one less than the current conductors.

I just picked up my 2015 B Class yesterday from Valencia Mercedes. Really nice car, but strange smell inside. Maybe its the vinyl seats. Anyway, I just ordered the Chargepoint EVSE. Its 32A and includes an app that allows you to schedule charge start times. It looks really nice and cost $699 from Amazon. With the 30% tax credit, it will be a little over $500.

Here is the link:
http://www.chargepoint.com/home/order/

The chargepoint looks like a good EVSE. At 32A it will not charge the car fully but for overnight use it is fine. The car will analyze the pilot signal and only draw 32A instead of 40A. I have a 40A OpenEVSE with a Quick Charge Power J1772 cable. I do not like how hot it gets so I charge at 36A(90% of 40A). I just got in a TusonEV cable and it runs cooler but it is larger.

The advantage of a commercial unit is the tax break. My first EVSE was a 16A Levitron at $1000 and I got a 300 dollar tax break. That said, I have been building 40A EVSE's for $350. When you just recover the costs with no profit it is cheap. They are not UL approved.

The Chargepoint Home will fully charge the B Class, no problem, it charges at around 25 miles in an hour compared to a 40 Amp EVSE charging at 32 miles in an hour. So if I start charging at 10pm (when my electrical rates are low) after driving for 50 miles in a day, it is done at midnight. If I had a 40 Amp EVSE, it would be done at 11:30pm. Not much of a difference for something that is very nice looking and UL approved. I am currently using a Chargepoint CT500 which is now on Ebay starting at $199, so my out of pocket costs should be minimal.

GlennD said:
The advantage of a commercial unit is the tax break. My first EVSE was a 16A Levitron at $1000 and I got a 300 dollar tax break. That said, I have been building 40A EVSE's for $350...

Which is the tax break you are referring to? Is this a new federal incentive for 2015-2016?

When I purchased and installed a Siemens VersiCharge in 2014, I was able to write the EVSE purchase and installation off and got a tax credit. Is this the same credit you are talking about? I am surprised the incentive I benefited from in 2014 got extended in case it's the same tax break.

The ChargePoint model looks like a nice unit. I like the 25ft long cord.

vin said:
renault19 said:
Which is the tax break you are referring to? Is this a new federal incentive for 2015-2016?

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/10513

I see you are a white car person. I tried to buy a white RAV4 EV but the used car manager did not want my white Leaf. I just read somewhere that the Leaf has the most depreciation of any car! The manager said the car would just sit.

The tax break has been extended a couple of times. There have been periods with no breaks but it comes back.

Back