"Engine" fan noise/operation

B-Class Electric Drive Forum

Help Support B-Class Electric Drive Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LALarry

New to the B class for 2 weeks now. I drove a Chevy Volt for the last three years, and there is also a BMW i3 in the family.

I've noticed fan noise and vibration when I first start driving, usually when the a/c is in Max Cool, or blowing on high. It is NOT a fan noise from climate control, but from what I'm used to, a fan (or fans) used to help cool the battery. Is this normal? My Volt fans would only come on when it was very hot outside, and sometimes after the car was turned off. Anyone else experience this??

Yes, I have noticed this. Quite noisy and I can feel a small amount of vibration through the pedals and steering wheel. It goes away after a min or 2. I believe the AC has a variable speed compressor, so when it first goes on it goes to max to try to cool the car quickly and get the refrigerant pressures to "normal". Once the coils are at temp the speed backs off and it is not noticeable. It is annoying for the first min or 2 though.

I've noticed this as well. It's definitely the AC compressor, which seems to crank pretty loudly for the first couple of minutes. If you turn off the climate control, the noise/vibration goes away instantly.

It's the amazingly efficient AC compressor doing it's thing -- leave it on! Seriously you can cool this car all day with almost no effect on efficiency.

Back